• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

12/24 wiring

fivebucks

Question

I read through the past posts on 24v wiring and didn't come up with a good answer. I have a 18'pro-v and a 4hp minkota 24v trolling motor. I was having problems last year keeping a charge so new batteries etc. I have a 3way switch on the boat for charging. The positions are "charging", 12v, and 12/24v. The wires behind the panel have +batt1 on re, -batt1 on black, +batt2 on red, and -batt2 on black. There is also one black and one red wire not used at all. The wires go red to pos. and black to neg. on both batteries. Last night I hooked up the charger to the plug in on the boat and it got very hot and did a little melting of plastic. I took the batteries out of the boat and am charging them individually now. One battery wasn't drained too much but the other one was way drained. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for the help.

11 answers to this question

If wires are hooked up correctly you should be charging on 12volt if you are using a 12 volt charger. what kind of charger are you using?

I'm using your basic battery charger with auto shutoff. So on the 3 way switch I should have the switch on 12v instead of "charging"?

Are you charging through the trolling motor plug?

------------------
JIM PAYNE

I was wondering the same as Jim P.

I found a site with some diagrams. Maybe this will help you. They did state "As mentioned in a previous article you should connect battery chargers directly to the batteries when charging and avoid connecting to the receptacle at the front of the boat."

http://www.the-fishing-network.com/magazine/v02/n02/jf-01.htm

Yes, I am charging through the trolling motor plug in spot. I'll look through that web site also. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.
Thanks.

If you are using the trolling plug are you using a red charging plug? The red charging plugs charg through both sets of wires and the black plugs are either for 12 volts or 24 volts, it makes a big difference.

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Jim,
The plug that came with the boat when I bought it used is a black plug. I appreciate your help. Thanks

The black plug will not charge both batteries at the same time because it is not a charging plug but it is a trolling motor plug. They make 12 or 24 or 36 volt black plugs. they make red charging plugs so you can charge of of a regular charger to charge both batteries at same time through the trolling motor plug. What year and type of boat is it?

------------------
JIM PAYNE

That post about not charging through the trolling motor plug is not correct. I have customers that have been doing it for ten years and never have had a problem.

The boat is a '95 1800 Pro-V. The plug I have says "Plug and Charge" out of a company in OH or IN I think. The plug part is connected to a rectangle box piece about 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" and has a pos and neg. post on the end to clamp the charger clips to.
Jim, I notice that you're in south metro. I'm on vacation all next week but if you wouldn't mind sometime after that I could drive the boat down for you to peek at. I work in Bloomington. Maybe the company you work for can set me up with a better system or something. I appreciate your help.

[This message has been edited by fivebucks (edited 06-05-2003).]

That would be good. I will help anybody from fishing mn to help them get there batteries up and going. I am running around alot and maybe we can connect some time. The company I own is RETROREC INC. HOME OF STAYNCHARGE CHARGING SYSTEMS. CALL ME 612-590-5833

------------------
JIM PAYNE