• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Antler Ideas

Lip RIPPER!

I am looking for some ideas of what to do with old sheds and racks as far as decorating at our shack. We have lots and lots laying around from the last 50 years. Looking for some outside ideas. I saw a pic where someone had mounted all his horns from the ceiling in his garage and it looked pretty cool. Not interested in making lamps, etc.. If you have any ideas or pics, I would like to see them. Thanks, Todd

Here is the pic I ran across.

/Users/user/Desktop/3210736205_e1c7da3c30.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Do a lesser degree Jackson Hole Antler arch around the door way! wink

full-27051-25030-images.jpg

How many antlers are we talking?? Like 10... or 100... or 1000?

I made special cabinets for my bigger sets of sheds, I have a lot of the big singles above cabinets and in baskets and hanging from light fixtures. Then the best thing Ive got is some "antler trees", its basically a 7' high cedar tree with the branches cut to about 6-10". Its stripped and cleared. Ive got probably 50 bigger sheds on a tree hung by the browtines. It looks nice, you can move it, and you can still pull out the antlers to look at them. The wife even likes it! She hangs Xmas lights on it in the winter, which im not crazy about... but if it keeps the horns in the living room, hey! Im all smiles!

I know this may be useless with out pics. I have a lot of sheds and I tried to use them "tastefully" before I even met my wife! I must have done an okay job grin I will try and get some pictures up.

Probably close to 200 racks would be my guess. Thanks for sharing the ideas and keep them coming.

If you're really stumped, you should give them all to me! laugh

I've got lots of space, and I'm very artistically creative!

Just shoot a doe have it mounted and put the nicer pair of sheds on the mount and change them when you find a nicer pair or just want to change the look.

When I moved to town 10 years ago, I gave probably 30 racks away and trashed about another 20.

The guy I gave them to makes candle holders and sconces with them.

If you put them outside they will deteriorate in the sun and the rodents will eat them even if they are hung on the wall.

Here are a few pics from 5 years ago when we started hanging sheds at our cabin. On 2 walls we hung all single antler going from smallest to largest from each side left and right. The other wall we hung all matching sets together from a piece leather shoe lace. I'll take some pics this wkd when i'm up there as we have a much larger amount of antlers now, but these pics will give you an idea. The guys at our shack like it. We labeled each pedicle with the year found and location found.

Picture4697.jpg

Picture4698.jpg

Looks like a nice cabin CJ! Weve done something similar at ours but once you get so many you quickly run out of wall space!

Good think is, antlers look AWESOME no matter where they are!

That is a nice cabin! Really like all the Knotty pine T & G. I've always dreamed of having a cabin like that someday. Course my wife would likely divorce me as I'd rarely come home if I had something like that! shocked

Still think 300 is way too many Rip. I can help you design some great stuff with those, for my house! grin

Very cool, got a think there's a story behind what looks like a paper plate impaled on the antler of the mounted rack. So what is it?

Okay so maybe it's just something sitting on the shelf behind it, but I like the other theory better, maybe you could make up a cool story about it, maybe the buck that attacked during the 08 picnic...

Here are some of my decorating ideas. I have lots of baskets! You can fit lots of antlers in them and still move them and get at them if needed...

full-14474-25222-p1030891.jpg

These are bigger sheds above the kitchen cabinets... looks like I need to dusteek

full-14474-25223-p1030892.jpg

full-14474-25224-p1030893.jpg

I made this to go above my pool table. Its mostly 60+ inch singles and the home to more x-mas lights...

full-14474-25225-p1030890.jpg

Heres one of the "antler trees". I really like these. I dont think the pics do them justice. Good way to "go vertical" without using wall space.

full-14474-25226-p1030889.jpg

And finaly this is a custom adjustable bunch of shelves. I got this from a dental office, they were going to throw it out. Its all oak and there got to be 50 shelves for it. I use it for some of my bigger whitetail sets.

full-14474-25227-p1030887(2).jpg

hope that gives you an idea or two! smile