• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Don't You Hate it When.....

DonBo

When the landowners black lab follows your trail to your treestand and looks at you from the bottom of the tree wagging it's tail! grin

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• Finlander

• Archerysniper

• CANOPY SAM

Finlander, you posted that dog story earlier in this thread wink

When you're sitting in your stand holding your bow, because you think the big one might come soon, and the bow falls to the ground and snaps the arrow in half....yep.

When you rattle in a basket 8, that you really don't even want to see, and he sits and stares at you for an hour straight. You can't even move a muscle because he knows something is up, but you don't want to ruin the chance that maybe, just maybe there's a 140" relative of his around the corner.

When the deer come into your stand at dark when your packing up and hang around for a hour and a half so you can't get down and your buddies walk in thinking your dead or injured.

...You get set up in your stand on a cool day and realize you forgot your heavier layers of clothing at the truck so you force yourself to tough it out for the rest of the hunt.

deer pin you in your stand until after dark and you forget how dark that "in the woods dark" really is and you forgot your headlamp in the car that morning. This is when I found out what "can't see your hand in front of your face" really means!

You set your camo climbing stand and bow next to that "can't miss it" tree to drag your deer. When you come back in the dark it takes your 2 hours to find it.

Or when you mark a blood trail with your gloves, hat, jacket, then cant find your trail that you left your gloves, hat, and jacket on, after you drug the deer bag to camp.

Did it again. Planned on hunting all weekend, then punched a tag opening morning and spent the rest of the weekend butchering. smile I hate when that happens! grin

when there is snow and after sitting in the morning you go in for lunch and when you go back to the stand at 3pm there are large tracks that dragged in the snow that weren't there before.

When you leave your practice broadheads on your hunting arrows, and don't notice it until you are strapped into your tree... blush

when your in your stand with your 5 yr old - expecting not to see anything, just spending some time with your child....and coming down the trial is a nice 9 pt.

When it gets in range and your ready to do the "dance", your 5 year old points and says out loud -

"Daddy, I see a deer - and its a buck"....scamper, scamper, bound, bound, scamper!

you work rotating shifts and haven't been out to check your stands, much less been able to hunt yet and the closest you can get is to sit and read all these posts and wish for another "don't you hate it when" to happen to you because at least then you'd be out in the woods! grrr!

When you keep getting East winds and you don't have any stands set for that because it hardly ever blows from that direction.

When you check your trail cam and find out the buck you want was in your 15 yard shooting lane last night at 7pm and you were at home grilling ribs.

You are hunting public land opening morning and you get up way early you haul your stand on your back you get out there 2 hours before shooting hours to set up your stand and let things settle down take a small nap and wake up 20 mins before shooting hours and you see a light in the woods bouncing towards you and you pray it does not come any closer... As you notice he is heading straight for you, you start to shine your surefire at him just to let him know he might want to not set up right next to you. You even blink it and stand up and move it all around only to have him sit down next to a tree 30 yards from you and later when you scare him by throwing your hunting bag to the ground from your stand he goes oh I did not see you there.

You get to your tree and are ready to put up your stand only to find somehow that one of your climbing sticks fell off your backpack and now you can only put your stand about 8 feet off the ground.

You have to walk through tall swamp grass to get to your new hunting spot that you thought you knew how to get to. Take the wrong turn on a different trail and end up not knowing where you are in brush that goes passed your head.

You decide to call it a half day and on the way back to your truck you decide to take a pee so you find a nice tree and out of the swamp a doe comes crashing out and stops 15 yards away from you and you two have a staring contest as you finish peeing the thing wont look away from you so you decide to slowly reach for your gun only to have the doe run straight away from you not giving you a shot.

You are hunting public land opening morning and you get up way early you haul your stand on your back you get out there 2 hours before shooting hours to set up your stand and let things settle down take a small nap and wake up 20 mins before shooting hours and you see a light in the woods bouncing towards you and you pray it does not come any closer... As you notice he is heading straight for you, you start to shine your surefire at him just to let him know he might want to not set up right next to you. You even blink it and stand up and move it all around only to have him sit down next to a tree 30 yards from you and later when you scare him by throwing your hunting bag to the ground from your stand he goes oh I did not see you there.

I've had the same thing happen to me! Except mine was mid morning on gun opener and I had two guys walk by and set up about 50 yards on each side of me. One of the guys even waved to me as he walked by so I know he saw me. We saw them later standing by their truck and they all of a sudden couldnt speak a word of english.

...You are a first time bow hunter and your first hunt ever is ruined because the neighbors kid and a buddy decide trespassing 1/4 mile into the property to hunt squirrels is a good idea. When they are right below you and don't notice a WELL CONCEALED stand, you are about to tell them to leave and the DNR and their Pa will hear about this, you only get a "Hey..." before one of them is so surprised he clenches his gun tighter and"BANG! PING!!" right off the metal tubing edge of your platform. (thats the only time i actually soaked my shorts on stand)

...My Step dad goes for opening morning and has to pee off his stand. He thinks "all urine smells the same if theres no skin cells going with it. Deer wont notice". He comes back to the truck and says all 5 deer that came through didnt smell him, until they were within 3 feet of the spot he watered...FLAG TAILS AND ALARM SNORTS!!...hmm...no wonder I didn't see a single deer for 2 weeks after that...

...My "perfect" first gun opener in 2012 with "40f and 7mph wind (perfect direction)" turn into that for 5 minutes. Then it gets cloudy, REALLY cold, and then it snows. I wanted to stick it out and track deer after the snow finished. 2 feet of snow later, out comes a spike. I hadnt gotten a deer in over 3 years of bow hunting so I took a shot at 50yds with 3" rifled slugs in my smooth bore Benelli Nova 12. Missed by 3 feet to the front of the deer. He stood there spooked but looking like "Wth just jumped out of the ground there?" So I racked and shot 3 more at him, missed all of them. Then he ran a path within 20yds and I shot again. Yup, missed. When dad to pick me up since I spooked every deer in Wright County, he stopped at the truck and said to load my gun quietly and turn around, there was a doe 30yds away. I shot, missed, it did what the spike did just waiting to know what went bang, dad grabbed the gun and put two rounds into the dirt way off his mark. Needless to say, I am getting a rifled barrel and he bought a muzzleloader.

...When I have college this season 2hrs from my hunting grounds!! :'(

When you are "asked" to cover work again.....for the umpteenth time and you keep saying "yes".... crazy
I just picked up overtime this weekend for some dumb reason frown

I dont know why I say yes either

...the traffic to get up north the Friday night before firearms. Pulling up behind the yutz with his camper doing 40 miles an hour right when the road gets curvy and you can't pass.

...early season walking out of heavy cover to an open field to realize you dont have an arrow knocked and a doe and two fawns staring at you at 20 yards.

...getting gear packed up to scout a week before season (during midday) specifically thinking "should i take my bow? Nah, I wont see anything during midday". Then walking down a open road and having a beautiful chocolate antlered buck spot you then challenge you and finally walk to within ten yards and put his head down below the grass line to feed.....

...you shoot a buck on the ground he lays down to die, you wait 45 minutes and have a hunyuck on his wheeler pull up *before atv driving hours* and says "I have to get my stand to be home by 1:30" and kicks your previously dying deer up.

...you hunt bear opening morning and THEN go to pull your memory card - check it back at camp to find out 12 hours before you were in the stand, there were two cubs in it.

• 1 year later...

When you walk into you stand and kick out 8 deer bedded 15 yards in front of it.

Or you decide to climb out of your stand a few minutes early and out comes a nice from no where at 15 yards, and all you can do is nothing!

Both happened last night.