• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Don't You Hate it When.....

DonBo

Low light last minute shots are the vain of my existance. I see the deer and the rack but in the peep its too dark to see a thing. If it was 15 minutes ago the buck is toast, if he was at 15-20 yards he is toast, but no he is at 30-40 yards and there isn't much you can do about it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• Finlander

• Archerysniper

• CANOPY SAM

...when you are sneaking through the woods in pitch black silent darkness with no flash light on opening morning, all amped up to shoot the next world record buck and all of a sudden the friendly screech owl greets you...back to the cabin for clean shorts.

...you've just hit 55 mph on the highway and you hear your bow slide off the roof and watch it spinning end over end down the road in the rear view mirror because you set it up there when you got back to the car, and forgot it there! cry

...the neighbors cattle, who watched you walk to your stand, and at first ran away in fear, have now returned and are standing in a large semi-circle staring at you like a cow God in a tree. laugh

I'm with ya Finlander, you get out bright and early on opening day and at legal shooting light you have a 4 wheeler and a 6 wheeler go chugging down the fenceline, then you hear them talking, revving the motors, and wonder where 1983 went. Things were done by hand and strength back then.

When I woke up late so I hurry to my stand and manage to put my finger inside the quiver to find out later what all the bleedings about and as I am trying to stop the bleeding a monster buck (175 class) comes walking my way and my bow is on the ground too! DOH!

Some funny stuff here... I can imagine those cows staring at you Sam :-)

Let's see...... how bout when a 130" 10 pt comes in exactly like he should, goes behind the tree at 15 yards that he should to let you draw and you can't get your bow drawn back because you didn't adjust your safety strap correctly when getting into the tree.... nor did you do your normal "make sure you can shoot at all angles with the safety strap on" test you normally do each time you get in the stand

Or when the neighbor decides he should "walk his property line" at 7:30 a.m. on Halloween morning... and also decides he should stop and chat with you for 15 minutes while you're up in your tree and you can't do much because he's kind of an odd duck and it was hard to get permission from him to be able to track deer on his land.

Or when you've gotten all setup in your climber (which takes me about 30 minutes and isn't easy) and you drop your release, or your glove, or your hand warmers, or your grunt call...

Or, when you're very new to climbing stands and you do the ultimate no-no and try to adjust the bottom half of your stand while sitting and facing away from the tree and the bottom becomes disengaged from the tree. Oh yeah, you're also not wearing a safety strap because you were really dumb so you're basically sitting on the seat with the bottom unreachable. Thankfully you have a phone and your parents answer the phone and bring a ladder out to the woods to help you get down. Not one of my brighter moments.

Sometimes I have to shake my head at myself....

...you've just hit 55 mph on the highway and you hear your bow slide off the roof and watch it spinning end over end down the road in the rear view mirror because you set it up there when you got back to the car, and forgot it there! cry

laugh

Ouch!!! I'm crying just reading that.

You get up at 3:30 AM, drive an hour to some public land, bust your butt hiking about a mile back in, with a climber stand on your back. You set your bow down on the ground to get the stand on the tree and then accidently step on your bow and break the carbon cable gaurd.

...or you finally get way up in the tree with your climber stand and go to pull your bow up and realize you forgot to attach the cord to the bow. ...or you drop your trigger release.

Nels

Your bowhunting the evening before gun season in a WMA and some bozo decides to sight in his gun in the parking lot at the last hour of the day! mad

Just last week I lowered my bow down, walked all the way back to the truck a good distance away and realized that my load going out sure is lighter then when I went in....hmmm, wheres my bow. I scared ever deer in the county out of my woods that night.

mr

...or you finally get way up in the tree with your climber stand and go to pull your bow up and realize you forgot to attach the cord to the bow. ...or you drop your trigger release.

Nels

I alwasy carry an extra rope and S hook just for these occasions. Forgot to tie up the bow, dropped release, quiver, hat, dropped bow :(, range finder, grunt call, saw, you name it...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

you should never have burped after eating all those meatballs 3 hours earlier. bye bye piggy 8 pointer with one more step to go......

trying to quiet a cough. i have had that happen. even bought one of those cough suppresors a few years ago they advertisied on the hunting shows. no wonder i dont see them for sale anymore. supposed to cough in one end and no sound. yea right. good luck.

Ya pull up to the trail an the bucketS in the back are from the last time u baited an r empty. #@&*$#@ CONFOUNDED FILABORTON RIPTOREN DAGNABIT, ANYHOW!

...you shoot a doe, she runs off, you wait 20 minutes, start to lower your bow, only to have her come staggering right back under your stand and take off running when you almost hit her with your bow on the rope

Good stuff guys, keep 'em coming.

The first Time I ever rattled, heard one coming right away. SO excited. Then saw a beaver walking down the trail. A beaver for cripes sakes.

Dang Don, you sure you were in the woods? I have heard about rattling beer glasses an.. oh heck, I won't go there blush

Tunrevir~

Walk half a mile, on opening morning, to the stand you hung in a prime spot. Only to find some jackwagon stole it!!

Drawing back on the biggest buck you have seen to date and the rubber tube holding your peep sight aligned snaps so the peep twists and you cant see through it.

Walk a mile with a climbing stand on your back. Go to attach it to the tree and realize one of the pins is missing. (I now carry two spares)

Have a couple of does feeding in front of the stand and decide to get some video of them. When you are done filming you catch a monster buck just stepping into the brush and out of sight at the end of one of your shooting lanes. (happened to a friend)

opening morning just as its getting light you hear a branch break and get ready. Pretty soon here comes a guy. Ask him what he is doing and he says just checking to see if anyone hunts here and do some scouting. AT FIRST LIGHT ON OPENING MORNING OF RIFLE SEASON??????

It's your first ever bowhunt (12 years old) and dad takes you out and puts you in a tree on opening morning and goes to his own stand. No bug spray (don't want the deer to smell you) and you feel like every mosquito in the 5 state area has found you in this tree. You have to tough it out though and show dad you are not a wimp. After an hour you realize that not one square inch of your body is without a mosquito bite and you can't quit moving.

Dejectedly you climb down out of the tree and walk back to the car only to find your dad already sitting in the car and he looks at you and says, "How could you stand all the @#$% mosquitoes!?!?

Pretty soon here comes a guy. Ask him what he is doing and he says just checking to see if anyone hunts here and do some scouting. AT FIRST LIGHT ON OPENING MORNING OF RIFLE SEASON??????

I think this happens a lot, had a relative actually build a stand opening morning rifle season one year, I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled!!! grin

Archerystud

That is some funny stuff right there!

...you've driven many miles, walked a good distance into your stand, climbed up and settled in with all the necessities. Things have quieted down and your intensely listening for those first tell-tale sounds...and you now realize you've got a large turtle poking it's head out the back porch door! blush

...you're pitching your favorite musky bait right into an area where you earlier raised a nice fish, and on your second cast you watch in horror as the $17.50 magic lure flies gracefully, free from your broken line, high into the trees on the nearby shoreline. cry

it is just before rifle season, you only have a few days to bowhunt this week, the day arives, weather is perfect, wind is perfect. You just know that you will see lots of deer tonight. just as you are about to leave. Your wife says she is sick needs to be in bed, and you have to be around town to run kids to all thier activities, which of cours is late afternoon - prime time.

you arrive in deer camp only to realize you finally put those trigger locks on last year and the key is 175 miles away... $40 gunsmith bill to follow..

this happened to my son-inlaw last season. didn't have to do his morning ritual as usual one morning. got on his stand and about a half hour went by and it was toilet paper time. walked away from his stand aways [leaving his rifle by the stand] and commenced the deed. well sure enough a doe comes out and looks at him with his pants down. still talks about that and we dont let him forget it laugh. good luck.

When your hung over brother decides to hunt where you're hunting and arrives right at sunrise and doesn't see your blaze orange in the tree!

You have a buck walking right to you but not in range when somebody behind you in the woods decides to unload his gun at a running deer!

When its still dark in the morning waiting for shooting time and you hear something walking right to your tree stand and stops, so you grab your flashlight to see if it's bigfoot or my brother, and to see it's a doe looking at you and her fawns!