Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Female Chocolate Lab pregnant?


reinhard1

Recommended Posts

i have never had a dog that got pregnant. a couple of weekends ago we had to babysit the grandkids and three dogs. all labs with papers including my female Lucy. the other two are males, one fixed and one not eek. well i knew Lucy was close to being in heat, and i dont know if the act was accomplished or not. we are just thinking maby. what are the symptoms normaly? good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dogs can show signs of morning sickness just like humans. May also appear tired or lazy. Will also start producing milk. Those are the most obvious signs. If this is happening you may want to bring her to a vet to have it confirmed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

she did throw up two days in a row at night. it's been 4 days and she hasn't anymore. when she was due to have her period [human terms] she only had one drop and hasn't had any more bleeding also. good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks Bobby!!!!!LOL!!!if she is pregnant and the day comes i guarentee you that is how it will be. never had a dog that had puppies and i may be overeating but just want to hear from some who have had that experience. good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Lucy is due oct 12. She deffinately been blessed by the titty fairy. She also had morning sickness for 2 weeks. Now she moans whenever she gets up or lays down. We laugh because she is almost human.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are sure Lucy was close to coming into season when she was with the male, then there is a pretty good chance she is not pregnant. The general rule of thumb is that the females will usually be ready 1 to 1-1/2 weeks after we see first spotting. But in nature anything can happen. Do you know if they tied? How long was she alone with the intact male? Our girls don't want to have anything to do with the boys when they are early in their season.

I would talk to your vet now if you aren't sure you want a litter of puppies. It's a LOT of work, probably more work than you can imagine right now!! And of course there are very real risks for Lucy. I believe there are options to terminate a pregnancy. If you really want to know for sure if she's pregnant because some dogs show almost no easy signs at all til at least 5 or 6 weeks, at 3 to 4 weeks you can have an ultrasound done. Seems to me my wife said last time it was around $120. If she is pregnant and you want to continue the pregnancy, please do a lot of reading (or if you can find someone with some experience) so the puppies have the best chance they can at being healthy and Lucy has her best chance at an easy whelping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lucy was with the male for 3 days. we let them outside most of the day. my daughter has a good size back yard and is fenced. we could not watch the dogs all day for we had 4 grandkids to entertain including one that is 3 months old. i did not see any mating but i saw plenty of attempts and Lucy didn't let it happen in those times. i have talked to the vet and she told me dogs dont have morning sickness like humans do.

i've had a person on here tell me they do along with other people i have talked to. so i tend to believe people who have had experience with this situation at their home. the vet told me about the ultra sound also. i'm just trying to get some ideas about this and if she is pregnant, well we will take the best of care for her and the pups should that happen. and if not she will get fixed soon. good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My lucy wouldn't stand for the males for the first 10 days or so. It was kind of like the chase phase of the rut. They male just followed lucy wherever she went. When she peed he would sniff the spot and then continue the chase. When she got closer to the end she started flagging, pulling her tail to the side. When she was ready there was no chasing at all. She just kept sticking her butt towords the male..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the chasing was going on even a month ago when she was not in heat. but a couple of weeks ago at my daughters there was the following and i scolded Hank a few times and he would lay off but not for long. but half the time i had no time to watch and i noticed one time a couple of drops of white fluid, one on her tail and one on her ear. didn't have time to check real close. i guess i had the attitude if it happens it happens if not that's good too, even though i thought she may be close to be in heat since her parts were getting a little swollen as they normaly do. the only alternative i had was to keep Hank penned up for 3 days and just let him out to do his buisness or let him have fun with the other two dogs. so i was the typical softy and said whatever happens happens. i should know soon one way or the other i guess. good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

even if it happened... you can have her spayed right now and that ends that. I just had to do that. An accidental tie with a dog I had no intention on breeding... I just had her spayed which was going to happen anyways (and should have happened prior to the tie). no pups, no more heat cycles, no more risk of unplanned pups!

Just a side note. If it did happen, even if your dog has papers and you are 99.9% sure she mated with the dog you think she did and he has papers, you CANNOT register the puppies with the AKC as you did not witness the mating. They can be sold as unregistered purebreds if you want but the AKC will not accept the pups for registration as you cannot answer yest to witnessing the breeding.

Good Luck!

Ken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks Ken, if it did happen we will go through with having the pups. my daughters both said they would want a pup from Lucy and we would sell the rest. also would study up on the care of pups. i'll give it a couple of weeks to find out for sure and if it didn't happen she will get fixed fast. good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you did not actually witness the mating, you can still register the litter with AKC if you have a thick wallet. If you get a DNA test from the dam, sire and all the puppies, you can register the litter because that proves parentage. I don't remember the cost, but I'm sure there is something on AKC's web site. All of our dams and sires have been DNA'd just in case there is ever a question by a puppy buyer on parentage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good catch Cav...

I had a buddy who bred to a well know kennel's dog(s)... his girl was bred and put in a kennel run and the next morning another stud from a neighboring run 'made' his way into her kennel... well needless to say the pups were born and sold as unregistered pure breds and he left it up to the puppy owners if they wanted to pay the DNA fees. He had his gal's DNA done and the kennel had all the studs done. Not sure what was finally worked out with the kennel on the addl. 'breeding'...

Good Luck!

Ken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • SkunkedAgain
      Luckily we don't have large open areas of ice that break away, such as on Red Lake.   Stay safe and warm.
    • JerkinLips
      Earlier this morning it looked like Vermilion froze over last night but now I see open water on the Hibbing Point webcam.  The strong winds must have opened the lake back up.  Tonight the temps drop to single digits and the wind dies down by 5am so it will freeze over tonight.  Expecting 1-2" of snow on Friday with high winds so hopefully the snow will blow off the new ice.  Saturday-Thursday looks very cold with no more snow, so the main lake should get a solid freeze.  Some are ice fishing in Stuntz Bay already, and some braver than I may walk out from McKinley Park this weekend.  I'm going to wait until the end of next week to venture out, although it will be very cold.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Ice is forming, but other than some back bays, it isn't ready quite yet.  Mother Nature is on track.  Some resorts are making the prediction of December 10th for day houses being out, give or take, but at this point, this isn't set in stone and time will tell.  There are cold temps in the forecast and things look optimistic.  Many resorts and outfitters have been checking ice conditions.  When the time is right, resorts and outfitters will slowly and safely begin marking and grooming trails for ice travel.    Please remember, ice conditions vary greatly in different parts of the lake.  One ice road can have good ice that has been checked and marked while down the shoreline there may be ice not suitable for travel yet.  Work through resorts and outfitters on the ice and stay on the marked trails for safety. Anticipation is high as the walleye and sauger fishing this fall was good and fish were staged in good numbers along the south shore.   On the Rainy River...   Much of the Rainy River is frozen up.  Things are progressing but it certainly needs cold weather and some time. Ice conditions vary and on the river there is current, so much like the lake, we encourage visitors to work through a resort or outfitter for safety.   Up at the NW Angle... Ice is forming nicely and is right on track for this year's ice fishing season.  There has been no ice fishing yet as resorts are simply monitoring ice conditions at this time, waiting until the ice is thicker before marking trails and getting fish houses out. Fall fishing was excellent with walleyes in good numbers along with some monster pike being caught.  All indications point to good fishing when the ice is ready as the fish are there. Driving through Canada to reach the Angle no longer requires COVID vaccinations or the use of the ArriveCan App (which is optional).   For those looking to access the Angle while avoiding customs, there are few options.   1.  When ice conditions allow, the snowmobile trail will be groomed and staked from the south shore up to the Angle. 2.  The Lake of the Woods Passenger service provides round trip bombardier service across the lake.   3.  Lake Country Air provides air service to both the south end and NW Angle.    
    • Wanderer
    • leech~~
      Was just going to post this!  
    • Wanderer
      At least they can all say they were there early!  
    • SkunkedAgain
      I'm still hoping for a sunny warm-up to melt all of the existing snow off of the existing ice, and then an arctic blast. After that, I'm hoping for a giant walleye to hop out of the lake and filet itself before skinny dipping in some batter and then relaxing in a hot pan of oil in my kitchen.
    • gimruis
      I'm planning to go later this week.  There's fresh snow coming tomorrow too.
    • gimruis
      I would highly recommend not doodling around out there at night time either.  When those cracks form, the piece breaks off from the main sheet or the land and you are then caught "adrift" with no way back.   The bite is not as good as it normally is from what I have read either.  We're so used to hearing that "its on fire" for the early ice bite but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    • leech~~
      Well, a new report for today talked about cracks opening up and ice piling up!  Better check the night before you head up.  😕
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.