• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Camouflage?

mainbutter

So when I went hunting last year, it was during firearms.. I didn't care much about camo, hunted with lots of blaze orange on above the waist and dark muted green wool pants as my outer layer to keep me warm.

I sat in a constructed tree stand where basically only my head is visible.

When sitting in relatively more exposed tree stands and bowhunting, does practically everyone wear camo head to toe (excluding the various times where blaze orange is needed)?

For those who bowhunt all season long, do you have outer camo layers that work for both the earlier season days with 50-60 degree highs, but also will fit over your "BRRRR it's december now!" clothing?

I hunt all bow season. From opener through probably the end of Oct, I wear camo pants, camo jacket, and camo baseball hat. When it gets cold, I wear duck brown coveralls and wear my camo jacket over them. For headwear I usually just wear a brown Carhart stocking cap in the late season. No matter what, they all get washed in scent eliminating detergent and sprayed with scent killer after I change into them in the field.

I have an early set of camo with green in it for the early season when the leaves are on the trees and they have not changed colors yet.

Once turned, I have another set for those colors.

Before I purchased all the camo I have, I hunted with a pair of brown pants and a dark green shirt. I have a friend who worked for the State of Mn and all he ever wore in the warmer weather is his state clothing in green and brown. I also wear a camo hat or a camo stocking hat when it gets cooler out.

All the camo colors are great along with the scent loc.

You will shoot just as many deer as anyone else with the best clothing sold if you keep your colors to match the trees, mainly green and brown and get 18ft high.

Does not hurt to get some face paint also to cover up ones face. I like to use all 3 colors of brown, black and green in stripes on my face to break up the outline of my face.

Camo really just needs to break up your outline. I have a good set of camo with scentloc that I put over layers depending on the temp. I also have a lighter pair of pants and jacket that I wear when its warm.

Camo goes farther than just clothing also. Try and find a tree that you won't get skylined in. Have it be fairly large, the more trees around you the better. If you are hunting field edges, you want to get in the woods, try not to be on a tree that is on the edge of the woods. You might be able to get away with it during firearm season, but bow hunting is whole new ballgame.

You also want to try and eliminate scent. Good rubber boots, showering with scent free soap,spraying scent killer, keeping your clothes in totes, and playing the wind will all help you be more successful. A lot of it is having a good routine and staying disciplined with it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

camo head to toe. don't ust face paint anymore, just a net. thicker camo and layers as it gets colder.

I wiull agree that camo head to toe, good rubber boots and camo net is good. But, I usually wear mt tennies when I go out and sometimes wear mt camo and it seems I rarely get busted and my kill rate is about the same no matter what I wear.

Yes, I would have a good background so you do not get skylined and get up in the tree a ways and play the wind. If you do these things well, you do not have to break the bank and spend a ton on the clothing. All the scent loc clothes are fine but I question it is really needed. I have 1 good set that was new about 10 years ago and to this day, I have not used it.

If money is tight, just follow the height, background and get high with a safety harness and you should be good to go. Be careful when you are trimming shooting lanes also so you do not clear out to much as the deer will know what you did and it will be a much greater chance you will get busted.

Good luck.

• 10 years later...

Camouflage, also called cryptic coloring, is a defense or tactic used by an organism to disguise its appearance in buy a resume online usually in order to blend in with its environment. Organisms use camouflage to disguise their location, identity, and movement. This allows prey to evade predators and predators to sneak up on prey.

• Yayyyy 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.