• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To the 3 boys on the white golfcart by Birch Island

I did not appreciate you pointing your rifle at my wife, my 2 year old and myself as we trolled the shors of steamboat bay on lower gull this afternoon. I don't know if it were an airsoft gun, a bb gun, a pellet gun, or a .22. Nor do I care. It was un sportsman like and uncalled for. I should have come to shore to find your parents, but I didn't. I drove the road later and couldn't find you, but I wish your folks knew what immature children you are and how NOT ready you are to be in control of a firearm, especially without parental supervision! if you were my kids you'd be grounded for a year and it would be a long time until you even looked at a firearm. You 3 had eye protection on (good thinking) but you forgot the first three rules of handling a firearm. Muzzle control, muzzle control, muzzle control. Never never never point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot! That's how people get killed.

Very disapointed.

I did not appreciate you pointing your rifle at my wife, my 2 year old and myself as we trolled the shors of steamboat bay on lower gull this afternoon. I don't know if it were an airsoft gun, a bb gun, a pellet gun, or a .22. Nor do I care. It was un sportsman like and uncalled for. I should have come to shore to find your parents, but I didn't. I drove the road later and couldn't find you, but I wish your folks knew what immature children you are and how NOT ready you are to be in control of a firearm, especially without parental supervision! if you were my kids you'd be grounded for a year and it would be a long time until you even looked at a firearm. You 3 had eye protection on (good thinking) but you forgot the first three rules of handling a firearm. Muzzle control, muzzle control, muzzle control. Never never never point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot! That's how people get killed.

Very disapointed.

Thanks for letting us on the Fishing forum know. Wasn't your cell phone working? I think the Crow Wing Sheriff office would have been a little more interested though! whistle

My hope is someone here might know the boys so a discussion could be had with the parents. Its very serious to me for numerous resons, but it wasnt as threatening of a situation that i felt to call 911 or press charges. Could have been though. But hindsight says that 911 would have been a good idea.

My hope is someone here might know the boys so a discussion could be had with the parents. Its very serious to me for numerous resons, but it wasnt as threatening of a situation that i felt to call 911 or press charges. Could have been though. But hindsight says that 911 would have been a good idea.
Sometimes if kids get the [email protected] scared out of them young, they learn things better later in life! wink

The fact that they were all three wearing eye protection indicates (to me anyways) that this was probably some kids playing airsoft or BB gun wars. So I don't think there's any reason to think that there was a public or personal safety threat. So that's good.

But you're certainly right to think that finding a way to get a firm message to these kids is a worthwhile thing. Gun safety begins with proper respect for the weapon, other people, and the entire weapons "culture". What is done with one weapon - whether real or pretend - can reflect not only on the individual, but on his parents, other gun owners, or guns themselves.

Teaching kids that the muzzle never points at anything one doesn't intend to shoot is rule #1. It needs to be embedded deeply in every boy, and then enforced and reinforced. It seems to me that these boys need some reinforcement on rule #1.