• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

catfish on the chain?

mrpike1973

i fish the chain every weekend for cats. the last couple i could hardly buy a bite. do they tend to go deeper when fall comes i dont want your spot. i hope im not to shallow shore lines etc is were ive been mostly fishing thanks.

I only fished the river and shallow eastern lakes and as fall approaches would look to the deeper pockets and holes between the lakes. There will a lowlight shallow bite though for a little while yet though. Grab a bay close to the main current run and bobber up. For the western side, sure Rick will chime in, but would probably looking in the mid teens to low 20's areas that are close to some sort of structure or food source at night. For the deeper fish on both ends...fish them like walleyes either jigging or dragging some type of live bait rig.

Never used them, but don't see why not. Would suggest putting a gob on though. The bigger the presentation.... will inevitably spread more of a scent trail. Crawlers or minnows will also work, alive or dead, so will chicken livers. They are not the most particular fish and almost anything that looks and smells disgusting will catch you some wink

The last few times I have been out there we have found cats in good numbers on the same weed flats as the crappies and walleyes. They are there for the same reason as the other fish are, food. Watch the surface for action, cats love to nail those minnows that are dumb enough to stay at the surface ;)There is still a decent amount of cats in deeper water too but most are scattered through out the water colom so targeting numbers of them is kinda tough.

I only got into chasing them out on the Chain last winter, so I'm new to it...but do they start schooling up later in fall in the same way that they are during early ice? If the wind wasn't too bad, it might be a lot of fun to find one of those gigantic pods of fish. Probably easy to find, too...just putz around until it looks like the depthfinder is broken. smile

just putz around until it looks like the depthfinder is broken. smile

It is kinda fun to see 20ft of solid fish over deeper water on the graph wink

They will start to school up in their winter locations shortly after the lake turns over. They are pretty agressive at this time, jigs and fatheads will turn a bunch wink

I wish I could get out to the chain once this fall to try for some cats before ice up. do to the fact that my mother is having surgery and I have no one to watch my kids for a couple hours on weekends so I can go, I have decided to put the boat away for the year. I am how ever planning to try and hit it in december for early ice. Grandma will be back to normal and will be able to stay with the grand kids by then. Rick keep me up to date on the ice conditions once it starts to freeze. I'm hoping it will start to freeze by the begining of November but with the river current I am not sure when it will start to freeze. what is the earliest and the latest freeze up on the chain.

I have decided to put the boat away for the year.

what is the earliest and the latest freeze up on the chain.

Sorry Brad, that sucks! Earliest I have ever been out on first ice was the week before thanksgiving. Latest was around Christmass.

let's hope it will start around thanksgiving this year. If I remember right the earliest I have been on a lake by my place was the first week of december back in 2008. December 8th to be exact. this was the day I got my two 10" bluegills that are now on the wall.

• 1 month later...

Anyone live near methhole that would be willing to charge a small fee to park and go out from thier house? I only have a car this seaon and would live to fish for cats early but dont think I can drive the car out there.

This same question comes up every season, my best advice is to come to the lake a bit early, or on a weekend, and ask around the lake for winter access. Quite a few of the homes around the meth hole area are owned by year round residents, I have found that most of the people that live on the lake are pretty good folks and pretty much all fish, some will even be willing to help out fellow anglers wink

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.