• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog wont eat after getting spayed

nige

Our beagle got spayed a week ago. Since then she is only eating really small amounts of food. Is this normal? Apart from not eating she seems fine.

The vet usually says to let them know of any unusual behavior or problems with the stiches after surgery. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call them.

My lab ate fine and wanted to chase balls after she came home from surgery...hard to say in your case.

Not eating is a symptom that something is not right with the dog though.

I agree, call the vet. My dogs have always wanted to eat and chase dummies a day after surgery, by the time the 7 days of 'no activitiy' was over they were ready to climb the walls.

I agree with the above. We had our first vizlsa spayed using the surgical method (now they give you a choice of using a laser becuse it's easier on the female). During the procedure the vet nicked the colon internally. We had to put our pup on a special canned food diet, and also 3 medications: for pain, anti-biotics, and another to help heal the cut.

Do add insult to the injury, we had to pay for all the extra treatment because of the vet's mistake. Last time we ever went there.

My lab was fixed at 6 months. I went the laser route because it is easier on the dog and quicker recovery time. I was kind of hoping it might calm her down a bit as she is the most high strung dog I have ever had ( half kangaroo I think ). If it did slow her down I would hate to see what she would have been like without it. LOL. Honestly I don't think it changed anything regarding her drive and overall temperament. Things may be different with a male but thought I would share my experience. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Good Hunting!

Dog was at vet. Everything with the surgery is good. She has started to eat again. Its a rescue dog that we only have a few weeks.