• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Something changed--HELP.

harvey lee

I went out the other day to shoot my bow and check it all out. The bow is a Mathews DXT.

Bow shot very well but the issue I had is my anchor point is farther back by say an inch on the side of my face.

I had a new string and cable put on last summer and all was well last fall. Now it is wierd that I have to change my anchor point and almost tilt the bow for the peep and sight to line up.

It's like I had changed my atrrow length but thats not the case and when I draw the bow back, seems like the peep and the sight do not line up and I have to tweek my bow sideways a tad bit. Then like I stated, it shoots great but does not feel right at all.

When I have it all where it should be, it is shooting great but it does not seem correct at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on what changed?

Same release, bow, arrows and no my arm length has not changed that I know of.. Something had to change.

Check the string and cable carefully. Look for anything out of round under serving etc. Focusing on possible string failure here.

Anybody have access to your bow but you? Kids? Accidental dry fire?

Are you using the same release? Same holes for the wrist strap and release rod length?

Are you leaning your head into the bow too far? Is your peep tied in securely? Maybe slipping down the string closer to nocking point?

String loop excessively long?

Just throwing out ideas here as I think of them.

My first thought is also that the peep slid on the string. Had that happen 2 years ago and totally messes with the feel of the draw length.

Froggy

Not to scare you...but, that happened to me a few years back...was practicing from a tree stand and really struggled to find my anchor point...I took about 5 shots...hit where I was aiming everytime but I struggled on every shot for my anchor and peep sight...On the next shot...it blew-up!! Top limb busted on release....not literely right in half, but it was bent at 90 degrees after the shot!! Luckily, I was able to get some warranty on a new set of limbs but I had to build new cables for it, and as long as I had it apart, I replaced all the bushings in the wheels too! But like Gus said...start with very intricate inspection of the string, cams, limbs, etc....good luck!

Out of what was mentioned, I would guess the peep moved.

Are far as a bad limb, anything is possible.

Last summer I had a good pro shop go through the bow and replace the string and cable and also the bushings. I had a bad cam and that is why it went in to the shop. That's when they replaced the cam, all bushings in the bow and like I said, the string and cable with a new peep.

I believe I will run the bow to the archery shop and give it to them to check it out. They will find what is wrong more than likely alot faster than I.

I did remember just now that I did back the screws out for the limbs late last fall to drop my poundage and I can in no way see how that could change it but maybe. I am going screw the bolts in a round or a tad more and then shoot it again just incase that was causing it. I doubt it but worth a shot as something changed and that is one thing I did change in the cold temps late last fall.

Called the archery shop and explained to him. He said the string would not have stretched enough to be causing this in 1 year Asked if the peep was firmly on the string and I said the serving was good and I tried to move the peep but I could not.

Baffled, he said bring it in and shoot it and we will see what the heck is wrong. So, hopefully the end of this week I can get to the shop.

Everything is tight, looks like new and who knows.

Call me dumb or dumber.

I took the bow out to the archery range as I figured it must be me or something I was doing.

Well, I figured it out. Last year I purchased a new release and used it all last fall. This new release is positioned a bit different on the wrist than my old one I had for years. I changed it on my wrist so the release was between my thunb abd first finger and it shot perfect. Last 2 times out, I was putting the release strap on my wrist so the release was on the left side of my thumb instead of the right side where I typically have it. I guess that is why i had to move my hand to get the peep and sight pin lined up as it was to the left to far or farther thn normal.

Back to feeling alot more comfortable with my shot and when I pull the string back, everything lines up like it is suppose too.

Won't make that mistake again. DA.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Oh the good old days of Fred Bear-stick and string! grin

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.