• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fence line hunting

walleyehunter80

Does anyone have any experience with getting rid of neighbors that hunt right on the fence line? I like my space, and this has gone too far.

Any thoughts?

What can you possibly do if they are not shooting across your property lines(assuming they are not doing that)?

I have the same problem(if you can call it that) but what the heck can you or I do if they are not breaking any laws?

Not a whole lot you can do. Asking them to move would more than likely start other issues...

Then the next question is, whats too close to a property line?

Honestly, I would be friendly about it, he is your neighbor. My hunting land, I rifle hunt, and the neighbor bow hunts, he tells me, feel free and shoot across the lines, I tell him, feel free and use any of my stands. We have never been in the woods at the same time in 15 years so it has never been an issue. We have also came to the agreement, if we are at hunting at the same time, we would obey property lines. It seems like th ebest way to do it. In my case anyhow.

Does anyone have any experience with getting rid of neighbors that hunt right on the fence line? I like my space, and this has gone too far.

Any thoughts?

Honestly? Sounds to me like your undies are a bit tight. If it is their land (or even if it is state land, public, etc.), there is no reason you should be upset so long as they aren't shooting onto your property. (If they are doing something illegal, call the warden).

In the end, if you are really fixed on doing something I'd suggest one of the following: Find somewhere else to hunt; buy the neighboring land; or quit whining.

Yep not much you can do about it, if they aren't shooting onto your land then I don't see much of a problem either. If you are worried about them shooting onto your land I would plant some fast growing trees on your side of the fence just to put some kind of screen or cover so they aren't temped to shoot.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried talking to them about it?

Maybe they are treating the middle of their property as a sanctuary and are just hunting the edges. If you do the same you would have two sanctuaries to try and catch the deer going between.

Or maybe the two of you could come to an agreement to each not hunt x feet from the line.

Or plant some evergreen trees on your side for a screen.

The big ? your words say no but your eyes say yes, they will say oh we'd never fire across your line but if you aren't present you know the deal, I hit it over here and it dropped on your land, I've heard that 1 way too many times. The cover of darkness a lot goes on in the deer hunting world. But that's a part of deer hunting today for many of us. Appreciate the deer in your past and treasure the ones you get going forward. I can't get off a few of my stands until 15min. after last light or I'm risking my life, 1 year got a nice buck near 4:30pm, that ends my season, so walk back to the house to lose some clothing etc. to go back in to dress it etc. and I kicked out a doe into my dads field, acccording to my dad roughly 20-25 shots rang out across our field and I was taking cover in the creek bottom hearing brush ricochets etc. Got nephews that want to go with but it's too dangerous, told them take up bow hunting and thank me later.

I'm in same boat my #%$ neighbor started hunting on his DECK close to the property line once I built a permanent stand and put a food plot on the back yard. For 15 years they hunted the other end of their property and have 30 acres going other way but now hunt off house deck and screw me scaring or shooting anything that goes to the plot . I put stand in middle of back yard property as far away as possible. I know many people disagree but I think its crappy to do that, I realize its their land but they have other Good options to hunt but screw me to be lazy.

I would just hunt my side right across from them, because they have already changed the deer movement. It may get the point across or when you drill one that comes off of their side onto yours they can see how it feels.

I'm in same boat my #%$ neighbor started hunting on his DECK close to the property line once I built a permanent stand and put a food plot on the back yard. For 15 years they hunted the other end of their property and have 30 acres going other way but now hunt off house deck and screw me scaring or shooting anything that goes to the plot . I put stand in middle of back yard property as far away as possible. I know many people disagree but I think its crappy to do that, I realize its their land but they have other Good options to hunt but screw me to be lazy.

But didn't you screw them by putting in a food plot and attempting to pull all the deer to your land? See how that works both ways.

How does that screw them its bringing deer into the area regardless. I have 10 acres they aren't living on mine alone they come across both sides it just gets them to the area and keeps them around enough where they stop as they are passing by. I did the work if they want to attract deer to there stand then do the work don't take advantage of another persons work by moving your hunting area across your land to compete with another person in there stand.

Walleyehunter, i have a similar problem. Ive had my treestand in the same spot, just off our fenceline, for 10 years. All of a sudden one year a treestand apears on the neighbors property no more than 30 yards from mine. The neighbor doesnt hunt, hes just letting someone hunt his prop. Ive also had it to where ive walked up to my tree and he was sitting in my stand. He has also walked out infront of me right at legal shooting hours. Ive talked to him and hes a really nice guy. Fact of the matter is no matter how mad or frustrated you get, you cant tell someone not to hunt there on someone else's prop. It sucks, i know.

hunter322, that is the very same problem I had and am having (other than him sitting in my stand). It is a very long story as to what is happening and how stuff is going down around here.

Plain and simple, was just wondering if anyone has found anything to chase them off? Was thinking about starting a compost site right behind the stand, a guy can only spook so many feeding skunks in the dark without getting sprayed!

Boy I hope I never live next door to some of you guys!

Go talk to the guy in a friendly way, if you are nice he's more likely to be nice. Don't be accusatory. For example you could start out saying "Hey, I noticed you are hunting close to the fence line - just so you know I hunt my property too. Maybe we could compare hunting observations sometime". And eventually you'd wind around to the fact that you respect his right to hunt wherever on his property, as long as he doesn't shoot over the property line

Open dialogue is the only thing that is going to keep the situation from devolving, starting to play petty tricks, becoming hostile, or the like will only make the situation go south

I think you underestimate some of us, trust me in my case nice comments were made I even let them in past years use my old stand if I wasn't. In many cases its a matter of ignorance or manners people or some people just don't care, if they screw nothet over often not aware they are screwing themselves being so close etc.

No Goblue I need you next to me smile hunting that is, my area is full of problems that you forget until November 3rd, I laugh hunters choice, our neighbor folk will shoot as many deer as the 9 day season provides regardless of tagging, the one group of 3 reported got 7 this last year, how do you get 7 in our 2 deer area ? 3x2=6. The lone lady behind me got 3 in a 2 deer area, then all 4 of these people were muzzleloading, I'd rather have fenceliners thick than people that don't quit piling them up. Then they say we only got 7 that means the lead is flying at most of what they see, only got 7.

How does that screw them its bringing deer into the area regardless. I have 10 acres they aren't living on mine alone they come across both sides it just gets them to the area and keeps them around enough where they stop as they are passing by. I did the work if they want to attract deer to there stand then do the work don't take advantage of another persons work by moving your hunting area across your land to compete with another person in there stand.

If you are mad at them for hunting on their land can't they be upset about you trying to pull deer off their land into your food plot?

This quote from hunter322 is spot on.

"Fact of the matter is no matter how mad or frustrated you get, you cant tell someone not to hunt there on someone else's prop. It sucks, i know."

I completely agree, I can't nor would I tell someone where to hunt ( its just common courtesy/sense) thats not the argument. I'm not pulling deer from them at all its not like they are feeding on their land and I put this to compete, its all travel trails or bedding area, my plot simply stops them as they travel through mine. If anything I'm drawing them more through their trails on their trails to get to it. Bottom line they have good places they used to hunt but they are lazy and now spook more sitting so close in the open to line. It's just like that guy that pulls up to you on the lake in his boat there's nobody around but you fishing and here comes this $&@%$@ next to you when he has the whole lake to fish, now effecting your fishing by being so close. Like I said I know people disagree thats your choice, but I didn't do it and it doesn't negatively impact them at all.

I completely agree, I can't nor would I tell someone where to hunt ( its just common courtesy/sense) thats not the argument. I'm not pulling deer from them at all its not like they are feeding on their land and I put this to compete, its all travel trails or bedding area, my plot simply stops them as they travel through mine. If anything I'm drawing them more through their trails on their trails to get to it. Bottom line they have good places they used to hunt but they are lazy and now spook more sitting so close in the open to line. It's just like that guy that pulls up to you on the lake in his boat there's nobody around but you fishing and here comes this $&@%$@ next to you when he has the whole lake to fish, now effecting your fishing by being so close. Like I said I know people disagree thats your choice, but I didn't do it and it doesn't negatively impact them at all.

I think you should just agree with the neighbors not to hunt within 200 yards of your property lines. Oh wait, then you couldn't hunt on your land you say? So really, you want to be able to hunt where you want, and you want the deer on your food plot to yourself, but don't want your neighbor to have the same opportunity?

In a more serious sense, I think you are short sighted in your analysis of your neighbor. If I had to guess, I'd say your planting of a food plot changed the behavior of the deer on your neighbors land, causing them to bed closer to your property and making the "other end" of your neighbors land to be lacking or even devoid of deer movement. Consequently, he moved closer to the food plot to hunt the deer that once hung out on the other end of his land.

The bottom line is, if it isn't your land, you have no say in it. If you want more space, buy more land.

If I don't like where someone else is hunting, I always have the choice to move. I have moved stand locations based on where other people are set up just to get away from people. Sometimes, it has even worked to my advantage. Other times it did not. Unless the stands are permanent, there aren't many reasons why you can't move.

From my experience, someone that sets up next to you knowingly, will not care how polite you talk to them or how friendly you are. They knew you were there when they put the stand up and they didn't care, so why on earth would they take it down from their property just because you asked them too?

Jay, if I were you, I would quit putting in the food plots or I would move them to the middle of my acreage, maybe clear away a few small areas and just put in strips of plot. I have seen more and more people do food plots in obscure areas of the woods and it really seems to work. By planting the food plots adjacent to their property you are enabling them to hunt off their deck, like it or not.

I don't really get the conversation anyway. Even if they're not hunting, it's their deck! They're probably going to use it & be out there some of the time.

I have stands on fencelines or very close to them. I mostly use them for bowhunting, as I know neighbors will be sitting in positions to cut off a lot of the deer during gun season. It's part of the game of trying to be in the right place at the right time that you have to factor in. When I go hunting I try to sit in the best place for the conditions every time, unless I've got a friend or relative I'm trying to put there, in which case I'm taking what I think is the next best spot for the conditions. Doesn't everybody do that? Why wouldn't your neighbor do that?

I didn't really care for the fishing analogy either. You may be sitting in one place & the other guy comes & fishes close to you. How do you know he hasn't fished that spot for years & has been planning to hit it for a month? I have a lake that I know a couple spots on that I really like, haven't fished it in two years, because in August when I would usually fish it I've been working on new food plots or bear baiting. At some point I'll get out there again. When I finally do I'm going to fish those spots, even if there is a boat or two out there. I'm not going to push them off the spot, but that's where I'm going.

...When I go hunting I try to sit in the best place for the conditions every time, unless I've got a friend or relative I'm trying to put there, in which case I'm taking what I think is the next best spot for the conditions. Doesn't everybody do that? Why wouldn't your neighbor do that?...

+1. It's what I would expect out of anyone.

Jaynumbers, you seem to think with the conditions that the neighbors have better spots to hunt. How about asking them if you can hunt those spots and they can hunt your backyard?

You know something, these issues in my area really, when we were old zone 4 these issues were 1/2 what they are today, farmland country, zone 4 worked very well, when it went to zone 2 things worsened and then any1 can muzzleload and it got worse yet. Splitting the hunters in old zone 4 made for a much better hunt for many of us, that 5 day break really helped the deer not be completely nocturnal and it spread the hunters out a bit more, had more access to land that wasn't hunted the 2nd weekend or whatever. Good luck and keep in perspective what we're talking about not being guaranteed tomorrow, I don't blame you for not waving the pom poms about, but he can do what he wishes on his ground.

In the northwoods: thanks for sarcastic clarification, your entitled to your opinion however misguided it is, clearly you must be one of the inconsiderate people that do hunt and fish with little to no regard for your surroundings or fellow outdoorsmen, as long as its ok for you. I'm not trying to tell anybody where to hunt, to me its respectful, or just common sence not to intentionally hunt close to another hunter anywhere (why would ya, hard to not spook deer yourself let a lone worry about noise etc from another person ) but I realize not everybody is like that, case in point! You have no clue on the deer movement based on the lack of first hand knowledge you have, to clarify I can assure you the deer didn't start bedding on their mowed back yard when they have 30 acres going the other way of thick woods and swamp (they know the plot is there and take advantage of it bottom line) . I built a permanent stand as far away from the line middle of the back half of my property but its only 10 acres and maybe 75 yds from line. I did this all knowing they didn't hunt anywhere around me not only for my sake but courtesy to them. Then they started hunting feet kicked back on there deck the next year half hung over moving around a ton wrecking it for us both. Initialy my only argument was agreeing with this topic that it does suck having people intentionally hunt so close to another I REALIZE they CAN and its legal so you guys can all stop saying its their land they can do what they want I GET THAT! It's just IMO LOW CLASS school yard dump to do it. As far as hunting on their land and giving up my stand....really why would I have built a really nice warm stand to let somebody else use it if I'm up there to hunt, not sure if that was sarcastic comment or not?

Bottom line Its a matter of opinion clearly people will always be on opposing lines (pardon the pun), its not illegal and I have to just live with it , doesn't mean its right or I need to like it. I would be curious to see the people saying deal with it what do I expect etc etc, how well you really would and if you would think to yourself, oh how nice it is Billy Bob hunting next to me making noise, its his land good for him... I doubt it, always easier to judge given situation from an arm chair!

Is this thread going anywhere? Not that I don't appreciate what's being shared, but honestly?

Walleyehunter...it's a conversation you need to have with your neighbors. Just say NO to Minnesota Nice, and tell them how you feel. It's not only a preference issue, it's also a safety issue.

As was stated earlier, have the discussion, and come to some kind of agreement on boundaries. 100, 150, 200 yds. each for distance from the property line? For Safety reasons.

Strategies or ideas for chasing them away are foolish and sophomoric. They have land, you have land. You share a property line. You need to talk to them and come to some common ground. Be respectful and work it out.

Nope its not! It's easy to get defensive or judge. Can't we all just get along smile

Too many of us hunters/fisherman too little land, we all need to compromise be respectful and its about having fun safely outdoors.

Strategies or ideas for chasing them away are foolish and sophomoric. They have land, you have land. You share a property line. You need to talk to them and come to some common ground. Be respectful and work it out.

Best words of advice in this entire thread.......Please keep the conversation on track

I built a permanent stand as far away from the line middle of the back half of my property but its only 10 acres and maybe 75 yds from line.

I guess i have a question about your stand placement. According to the DNR website you have to be 500 feet away from any building occupied by humans or livestock to legally hunt unless its on your property or you have written permission of neighboring land owners.

If your stand is 75 yards from the property line and the neighbors home/deck is right on the line then thats only 225-250 feet from your stand to your neighbors home. Unless you have their written permission you are breaking the law if you were to hunt from your stand. In that case I don't think I'd worry so much about where they are hunting and instead worry about what they think about your hunting spot since they would be legal and you would not be.

That rule does not apply to improvements on adjoining land. It is applied as to persons on the parcel of land that the building/etc. is actually located on. In this case, Jay______'s stand, and his ability to hunt on his own land, is subject only to his own permission to hunt within "X" number of feet from his own buildings. Now, if his neighbor came and hunted on Jay's land, the neighbor would need permission to hunt within that distance of Jay's home.