• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN Moose hunt

Living_The_Dream

Well just went to the moose orientation last Sat. and heading up to the BWCA next Thurs. to do some scouting. Can't wait it is going to a great time.

What zone you hunting? ?? Goood luck! I called a smaller bull in last saturday while near a cut baiting some bear baits

good luck. keep us posted!!

if i can offer any advice it would be scout as much as possible before season. that was the number one factor that helped us the most on our hunt.

Good luck!!

You are in for a treat! I hunted last year and it was by far the most fun hunt of my life! Hopefully you have done some research and talked to plenty of people from the DNR. They should be able to point you in the right direction as far as which part of that zone holds the most moose.

Scouting is great, and definitely very helpful, but if you only have a limited amount of time to take off, I would put it towards the hunting season rather than too much pre season scouting. Last year I was not able to scout the area we hunted due to the fire that was burning up there. Our strategy was to do our calling in the mornings and evenings, and scout mid day. Don't hunt areas unless you see good moose sign!! It's not hard to spot. The areas we hunted looked like cow pastures. We met some hunters last year, and they spent over a week hunting hard in areas that we paddled past because there wasn't good sign. We saw 17 moose in 5 days, and they didn't see a single animal. Don't plan on just setting up a base camp for the entire hunt. Keep an open mind, and if you aren't getting action, move on! Listen for cows in the morning. We heard them every single morning we hunted, and where there are cows, the bulls won't be far away. Lastly, learn to call!!! It is very easy and extremely effective. We saw 6 bulls. 5 of them we called in.

You probably still have time. You should order "Gouthro's Moose Madness". Just google it and order online. Buying this video was a huge key to our success. It will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about moose hunting. Seriously consider it.

Have fun! Take a ton of pictures and let us know how you do when you get back! I'll be in Zone 64 helping my dad out on his moose hunt, and I can't wait! PM me if you want the packing list we used, or any other information. I'd be more than happy to help.

I would recommend you stop and talk to Andersons about a shuttle up the lake. He runs most every day up and down Lake Lacroix and knows the area well. He can even rent you a satelite phone so you can call for a shuttle out after you down that big bull.