• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Golden Gophers

JBMasterAngler

Well, the Gophers have found out that North Dakota and South Dakota are over their heads too so they can't play them anymore.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBMasterAngler

• Big Dave2

• LMITOUT

• zepman

In related news, Vikings are also offering $800,000 to the Bears, Packers, and Lions so they don't have to play them this season.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I don't know about that LMIT...the Lions had all tney could handle on their home turf to boot. laugh

OK,

let's get it back on topic....

paying 800,000 to dodge any game by the Gophers is absurd.

In related news, Vikings are also offering $800,000 to the Bears, Packers, and Lions so they don't have to play them this season.

That joke would be respectable if the Vikings hadn't already gone into Detroit and beat them.

Doesn't make sense, especially since the Big 10 shares revenue on bowl games etc...

$$$$ coach salaries and all sorts of sports that lose big money.

That joke would be respectable if the Vikings hadn't already gone into Detroit and beat them.

And they have to play them again.

Unless Zygi's $800,000 check bounces.

I think they get an extra home game out of it for about 600k in revenue. That would still make it 200k to add another cupcake to the schedule.

Sorry Dave but unfortunately for the gophers they will still play SDSU:

So in other words, the U of M is out of money.

It's a good thing I guess that they played the teams they did before the Big Ten games or the Goph's season could have had maybe 2 wins.

Man, they are bad.

I was thinking purdue and illinois would be for sure wins, but by the time the gophers play them, their confidence might be so shattered that they completely tank! Paying money to NOT play north carolina became even more pathetic yesterday, when duke beat them!

Hopefully Nelson excites the team a little more. I only got to listen to some of the game. It was the first time since 1994 that I hadn't attended the Gopher/Badger game!

Hopefully Purdue is a good game but I fear even going to the stadium to play Michigan.

I love Pat Reusse's quote on the $800,000 in the Strib:

"If you really want to agitate a boatload of hard-working Scandinavians, give them the impression that you've taken $800,000 and basically burned it in the middle of a parking lot".

Gophers may have finally found a QB!

Or, is Purdue just that bad?

Just in: Gopher's cancel $800,000 check to UNC. smile

I think it could be a little of both, but I liked what I seen from Nelson. And it helped also that they moved Grey to receiver. All of a sudden the upcoming michigan game has become a whole lot more interesting.

I have not seen a defensive player dominate for the Gophers like Michael Carter did on Saturday. He was fantastic. It's always a rare treat to see a Gopher Big10 victory

The wolverines did everything they could to give the gophers the game in the 1st quarter.

GOLDEN GOPHERS ARE BOWL BOUND!!! We'll probably end up in a better bowl game than we deserve to be in since Ohio State and Penn State are banned, but more importantly we'll get that extra 5 weeks or so of practice to benefit us in the long run. Would be really nice to get an upset in one of our final 2 games.

Nebraska would certainly be an upset but I think that Michigan State at home is a winnable. I'm not ready to crown Jerry Kill as a golden god but he's making some good steps. If they can take this year's record and add another Big 10 win next season, then we've got something to talk about.

OK, so that game went about as I planned it would go. We can still land in a pretty good bowl game if we upset Michigan State and knock them out of eligibility. Iowa is out, and if Indiana beats Purdue, they'll be out also. Gator Bowl? shocked

Does it really matter?

Going to a "bowl game" with this team is a waste of time, in fact, there is no reason to have these ridiculous no-name bowl games anyway. If the program and its fans had any pride they'd decline any and all invitations, instead of sighing a breath of relief when you hit that magical 6-win plateau. Way to set the bar high.

Pathetic.

The "Our Family Bag of Frozen Peas and Carrots Bowl" sounds like a good one to go to. smirk

Seriously, "going to a bowl game" is a joke when you limp in with just enough wins (against cupcakes) to be "bowl eligible", and this entire thing is built around the mental midget thought process that everybody deserves a participation ribbon because we have to be "fair" to the kids. Disappointment is a good life lesson, too. Play better next time and earn it.

If you're not one of the top 6, 8, or 10 teams in the country, then go home. You're done. You don't deserve it.

There's too much money involved to not have all these bowl games. Even though conferences like the WAC and sunbelt are usually pretty pathetic, they still deserve the chance to play in a bowl and be on national tv. It's also a chance for NFL scouts to watch how players can perform against teams from other conferences.

That's correct...it's not the NCAA begging for all these bowl games. Corporate America is handing it to them.

Take it for what it is and go play the games. I don't think anybody takes any of them (but 1) very seriously anyway.