• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

keel problem

Question

I was just given, yes free, an old 16" aluminum boat with two problems to get cleared up to make it sea worthy. 1) it is missing the front 1.5" of its center rib/keel. There is no dent or ather damage so I would love to know how it went missing. I have been told that buying a "keel cover" would be the best and lowest cost option for repairing it. Is this true and if so where would I find such an item?

2) It needs a drain put in it?

Thanks for any help

[This message has been edited by chiro (edited 05-20-2003).]

4 answers to this question

Is the boat water-tight? If not call Port-A-Welding in Rogers, MN.

He just did some Aluminum repair for me and it is perfect. I'm sure he can help with the drain too.

------------------
Chells

Yep, watertight, just need to solve the missing keel section problem. Actually, there is a minor rivet leak but, I will seal that myself.

if its water tight i would take it out and run it to see how it handles the keels are there mostly for handling if it is only a foot or so missing in the front it shouldnt be a big deal.we had a jon boat custom built for commercial purposes that didnt have any keels on the bottom we ended up in the cattails a few times till we got used to handling it though.