• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lockout

Bear55

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OnAFly

• Bear55

• PierBridge

• Scott K

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of meetings, same tired story. No movement from either side, both sides blame each other.

Donald Fehr - "Salary cap could be on the table if the lockout drags on."

This is would end the season. I think statements like this show Fehr's real intentions here. He doesn't want a hockey season, he wants to 'get the owners'.

• 3 weeks later...

I copied this from Pro Hockey Talk website...think it means anything?

Or just more "Nonsense"?

Stand by” friends …

As one of the very “few” here who’s refused to climb aboard the “doom & gloom” train, I sense that we’re now fast approaching that elusive “magical” breakthrough. So for good measure this morning, I again reviewed the data and re-crunched the numbers … and I’m still coming up with an agreement being announced during the week of Nov 5 – 10 (+ / – 3 x days, with a margin of error @ 5%). Also, not mentioned above in this article though readily available on the internet, is the fact that apparently a “large” number of marquee NHL players overseas have “suddenly” been making travel inquiries through their various agents within the past 24 hours ? And if that wasn’t enough, only two hours ago I received an uncustomary “short” message from my old friend “Stransky” who’s currently lecturing in Vienna. In the message Stransky simply said … “things are going to happen within the next 3-4 days”. So what all this might mean to people is up to them ? After all, we do live in a free country. For me however, I’m now convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that something “extremely” significant is about to take place ! And I believe that that something will be the announcement of an agreement between Bettman and the NHLPA !

ps: that 3 million is “chump” change as far as the NHL is concerned … the more important consideration is that of logistics, given the many parties involved either directly or indirectly.

Quote:
Donald Fehr is in Minnesota to meet with more than 30 NHL players.

Fehr is updating the players, some of whom are starting to get worried about lost their lost wages. "It's their contract, it's their futures, it's their agreement and it's their union, and I work for them," said Fehr, the executive director of the NHL Players' Association. "So I go wherever they want me to be. And when the guys say they want to have a meeting, I say, 'Sure, absolutely.'" The two sides have not met in a couple of weeks and that does not bode well for an agreement in the near future.

It does kind of sound like the wheels are turning and this mess might get solved soon. Come on figure it out!

If the NHL loses this season, I think they are in danger of losing their 4th Major Sport status. You can't lose a season every 7 years and expect people to watch. I hope the players know this as well as the owners.

I think they are in danger of losing their 4th Major Sport status.

I think they kind of already lost it back in the 90's. Now there just isn't a 4th major sport, just a bunch of other sports.

I think they kind of already lost it back in the 90's. Now there just isn't a 4th major sport, just a bunch of other sports.

IMO, they lost this as soon as they decied to take a short term gain over a long term look by broadcasting the Stanley Cup Finals on Vs. Absolutley asinine that I can't watch the finals with a $75 satellite pckg (I could if I spend another 20/mo to get top pckg). They should take less money and go back to network TV. So that at least the "poor" people who enjoy the sport can watch the final games.

No kidding. It would be really nice if NBC would broadcast a few more games a week. If they want to get noticed, get on a channel that everyone in the US has access to.

Although, I can't argue with getting off of ESPN. I hate that network.

completely agree, as soon as they switched the playoffs and Cup to VS, they lost alot of "NHL" fans. That's why I am a "Wild" fan and I could care less on what happens around the league if it doesn't effect my team. All I would want is a Tuesday night game and a Sun 1pm game and it would get me back watching. The true fans are streaming the games online and that's a whole other issue I suppose.

The NHL doen't really have true stars, people want stars like Kobe Bryant and Payton Manning, Networks want storylines and stars. It seemed like the NHL was banking on Crosby and Ovechken to take that role and they never did due to injuries etc. IMO The best thing the NHL has done in years is the Winter Classic and the HBO series.

Not looking good for this season frown

Quote:
The 2013 Winter Classic has officially been canceled.

The news of the cancellation leaked hours ago and even if it hadn't, the news has been widely suspected for days. As a result, the official announcement is hardly revealing, though it is still very unfortunate. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly called the decision to cancel the game "unavoidable," but of course it could have been avoided if the union and NHL had agreed to a new CBA months or even weeks ago. The good news for Leafs and Red Wings fans is that the next Winter Classic will still be held in Michigan Stadium and feature those two teams - it just won't happen during the 2012-13 campaign.

Quote:
To the surprise of no one, NHLPA boss Don Fehr is blaming the NHL for the cancelation of the Winter Classic.

Fehr pointed out that it was the owner's that started this lockout and ultimately it was the NHL that canceled the game. That is of course true, but the players have also chosen to pass on every offer that the NHL has presented them with, just as the owners have in turn balked at the union's proposals. Both sides have had opportunities to end this lockout already and the only reason we're in this position is because both sides still believe that they have something to gain by not inking the other sides proposals.

I have the solution to this B.S lockout. We the fans need to organize a lockout. They are fighting over our money. No fans means no money to fight over. Problem solved for both sides. Or start a new league. Then maybe Minnesota could be the North Stars again!

How about we all box up our logoed garbage and drop it off at the door to the X and buy nothing to replace it. Start our own protest.

Quote:
How about we all box up our locoed garbage and drop it off at the door to the X and buy nothing to replace it. Start our own protest.
Quote:
I have the solution to this B.S lockout. We the fans need to organize a lockout. They are fighting over our money. No fans means no money to fight over. Problem solved for both sides. Or start a new league. Then maybe Minnesota could be the North Stars again!

The Fans always come back as has been proven time n' time and again.

It looks the Bettman and the Owners are going to slowly bleed the Players and Fehr into submission!

Hopefully the league will shut down this year, Fehr will agree to a deal which causes the players to have lost money in the long run, and then Fehr is fired. I think this is the best outcome for the NHL long term.

A league won't exist if it doesn't make money. Right now, the NHL isn't making money. If the players really want to feel cheated, work a 7AM-5PM like the rest of us do. That's what will happen with Fehr in charge.

Hopefully the league will shut down this year, Fehr will agree to a deal which causes the players to have lost money in the long run, and then Fehr is fired. I think this is the best outcome for the NHL long term.

A league won't exist if it doesn't make money. Right now, the NHL isn't making money. If the players really want to feel cheated, work a 7AM-5PM like the rest of us do. That's what will happen with Fehr in charge.

Where would a guy start with something so preposterous ....

Yeah, you are right. I do want to watch hockey and if I were, I probably wouldn't be b1tching on here about it.

To say that I'm jealous about a hockey player making more than I do, I disagree with that. I fully understand that every NHL player is going to make more than I will. I don't think that a system which props up salaries to unsustainable levels is a good idea.

If I go into work one day and they say, "hey, we have to cut salaries because we aren't making money" I would say OK, I like where I work and I think things will get better in the future so I take it and move on. I can say this because it happened in 2009.

Revenue does not equal profit. Revenue is the money you make before all of your expenses. If your expenses are greater than your revenue, it does not matter how much revenue you made, in the end you lots money. This happened to 22 of 30 teams.

Is baseball better off right now? How great is it to see the same couple teams in the playoffs each year? Anyone sick of the Yankees yet? I've stopped watching for this reason.

We'll see what happens by next week. Go Wild!

Everyone does realize that the more they agree to pay the players, the more the tickets will cost eek

I used to have season tickets to the North Stars, and split tickets with someone to the Wild in their earlier years. I also had Viking tickets. With the cost of most tickets doubling the last 10 years, or less, I will go to a couple games, here and there, but there is no way I will forlk over the kind of money to buy season tickets ever again.

I still go to a quite a few Wolves games, since they are still offering good seats, at a good price. But once they start winning more games, I am sure that will end as well.

I used to go to 4-5 Wild games, but the cost was getting out of hand. Now, I'll just watch them on TV occaisonally (now that I cancelled cable) and listen to them on the radio.

So how the NHL and the Owners have spent the billions and billions of dollars the PLAYERS have made them is the players fault?

We, the common Joe/rube have been priced out a long time ago in all Pro Sports. No matter what deal the players take this time that isn't going to change.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree who's more to blame on this one!

Go Wolves! .. grin

I won't agree to that! wink

Go Wolves? That's the worst part of this lockout.

Granlund is hurt, sprained ankle out 4 weeks. So is Brodin with a broken collar bone, out 2-3months. Even if we do see the NHL back in a few weeks, we probably won't see either of those two immediately. I'm still looking forward to seeing Granlund. He's been a stud, but we'll see how durable he is in the NHL.

Today is the 5th day of talks in 6 days and the big 4 have been in on it for 4 of those days.

Anyone else think we'll know if there will be a season or not by the end of today?