• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A week away from the Lions Fishing Tournament

Justin Kjos was on North Country Outdoors Radio today with some current information. Did you know you can register on line? Yes you can. Listen to this show, it can help you prepare. Go to trfradio.com/ncor click on the podcast banner and choose the show for 8-9.

Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't mean to stir the pot here, but I'm wondering if the Lion's are ever planning to put out some "spotters" in, and around the river during this tourney?

I know there are many folks that go by our house pre-fishing for this tourney during this week each year, and I hear tell that several stringers of large fish, a big half eaten walleye, a very large carp, etc., have been found tied alongside the river between here and town!?!

Also heard this same thing last year, with a few large northern pike being found stringered, pre-tournament, along the bank above the dam.

I love that TRF and the Lions (a very philanthropic and beneficial organization to TRF) put on such a nice, well run fishing tournament each year. However, I truly believe, without "eyes" out there monitoring the event, it really opens up the door to rampant cheating, which is obviously a sad situation with such a cool event.

I don't know if there's much that can be done about it, but perhaps the Lion's could ask for volunteers to monitor the event? This is pretty common among other tourneys state, and nationwide.

I won't fish it any longer as I'm concerned, with my river frontage home, that I'd be accused of cheating if I were to win or place in a division. I've even had people tell me face to face that I should tie up a fish alongside my place and use it during the tourney to win money! Pretty sad if you ask me. It ain't gonna happen.

Anyway, food for thought for all organizers of this event. I hope it goes well, everyone is safe, and we see lots of big, LEGAL fish come in for the weigh-in.

On another sad note, my prayers and most sincere condolences go out to the family of Vern Quam, who recently passed away. Vern was a long time member of the TRF Lion's and was passionate in his service to the community. He was a very warm-hearted, kind, and thoughtful man, and he will be dearly missed by everyone who knew him.

Sincerely and respectfully.

I have fished the tournament for the last 5 years and had not heard of people doing that before, but have heard similar things about this year. Don't know if it is true, but if it is, that is pretty sad. My wife and I were discussing just that while we were fishing this year. With the bigger prizes that started a couple of years ago, some people just don't have enough moral fiber to do it the right way and stay within the rules. I would like to congratulate the Lions on making sure everyone attended the rules meeting this year and on an overall very well run tournament. We didn't manage to place this year, but caught a lot of those 4-5 lb cats and a few other fish that made it a fun day even if we didn't. A day on the water with a bonus chance to win a little cash plus help a good cause sounds like a winner all around to me.

Local paper showed a 10 lb. pike, a 4+ lb. walleye, and a large carp. Looks to have been a good turn-out, and a great day for fishing.

Drove thru Bemidji Monday, and yesterday. Gonna be no shortage of firewood out that way for many, many years! Amazing how much damage that storm did. Hope there isn't any tree disease, or insect problems that arise from all that downed wood. Likely work out well for the deer, grouse, and little critter populations though. Maybe even provide more denning opportunities for bear?

What? No call on your way through? Thanks... wink

Thanks for the info, Matthew!

Yeah, it's not going to hurt things in the critter department, or the mushroom picking department, that's for sure!

walleye

1 zach habedank 4.68

2 dean klaven 4.58

3 greg habedank 3.95

northern

1 gary braun 10.10

2 lionel sandness 6.70

3 travis johnson 6.69

other

1 james morford 14.05 carp

2 anatasia narvaiz 9.85 catfish

3 tom vetter 8.77 catfish

Sam, i'm not so sure about the cheating the numbers don't show it. i've also heard about stringers tied up but all of that turns out to be a hoax.i don't understand why you are worried about someone thinking your cheating just because you live along the river. your a good fisherman put your time in and know the river well i just don't see were anyone would think your cheating, my guess is they would say your a good fisherman and can find fish on the river. i think your kids would like to see dad win or dad would like to see his kids win. put your game face on next year and show them what you can do and if someone is cheating i'll bet you can still beat them.

hats off to the lions club they to a wonderful job each year gets bigger and better.

Well...I appreciate the vote of confidence Zero. That's pretty nice of you to say. To be totally honest my desire for competition fishing has kind of gone out of me.

Many, many years ago I learned that I enjoy teaching others how to successfully catch fish, and really appreciate seeing it all come together for someone else more than myself.

You know the old saying, "You can give a man a fish...or you can teach a man to fish". Something along that line anyway.

I like to see my kids, family and friends catch fish, especially big fish! That's all the satisfaction and glory I need. But thanks anyway.

Maybe someday I'll take up that sword again. But for now, I'm content to simply watch from the sidelines.

On the cheating topic, you could very well be right. I personally haven't seen or found any evidence of cheating, and it may be just hearsay and conjecture. I probably shouldn't have said anything about it in the first place. I just kinda hate to think that all those kids are getting their hopes up to win something big, only to be let down because someone broke the rules and brought in a big cat from the Red River, or tied up a big walleye or carp somewhere along the fishing route. The potential is there, and it wouldn't surprise me at all knowing how desperate people are for cash and recognition.