• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to Fly Fishing

bassman186

I want to get into this sport. Never fly fished before. I have been watching a few videos online and reading somethings online and want to try this out. I have a pair of waders already but where to start with buying a rod, reel, line? I'm thinking a 8.5-9 foot rod with a 5 weight?

any and all help is greatly appreciated here.

thanks!

It's all about what you want to fish for. If you just want to do trout and panfish, a 5wt would be fine. A 6 would be better for bass too. 9ft rods are pretty standard.

6wts are the new 5wt... 5wt use to be the "all around" rod everyone would start out with.. mainly because most folks would tackle trout with a fly rod.. as the world's view of fly fishing has changed to included everything else with fins... the 6wt seems to push the 5wt to the side as the 6wt give you just enough more back-bone to handle bigger species of fish outside the realm of trout fishing.. without really giving up too much and allowing trout fishing to still be enjoyable

I'd look into the Wind River outfits that the store with the big C carries...

I stopped at a gander and they have the scientific anglers fly fishing kit. It was the "bass" rig. It has a 7/8wt 4 piece 9 foot rod.

would this kit work as a starter kit?

That'll definitely work... it'll be heavy for trout/panfish.. but fine for everything else

ya it will catch anything just fine. the thing is its kinda like using a catfish rod to catch sunfish. For me the fun of using a fly rod is in playing the fish. You can knock out panfish with it all day long but your basically going to be over rodding it. However if you need to crank a largemouth out of a weed bed its the tool to use.

Thanks Ic3wind

Definitely puts it into perspective with that description.

I started with a 6wt wind river combo from cabelas. They have a starter kit available that I set my dad up with a few months ago, works pretty well. Has rod/reel, line, backing, case, flies, etc... all you need to get out fishin.

It works for trout and panfish, as well as bass and pike. The bigger limitation I find with the bass and pike is the size flies you can cast.

The carp I landed on sunday was pretty big, and I landed it on the 6wt. It can definitely handle bigger fish, but it does take a bit more effort.

I wasnt happy with the choices of items at gander so later today I'm gonna head to Rogers cabelas and see what they've got for me.

I wasnt happy with the choices of items at gander so later today I'm gonna head to Rogers cabelas and see what they've got for me.

Last week the Wind River combo was on sale for $69. Normally it sells for $119.

Hopefully it's still on sale.

Sounds like a good deal, plus the Cabela's guys are pretty knowledgeable on the sport, so they should be able help guide you through what you'll need.

My first flyrod was a cabelas, the one that comes with the case and accessories and dvd.

I love the thing, it's my "fun-est" rod. Got it in a 4wt because I wanted to fish more the "ultralight" side of things but have some ability to throw stuff that wasn't too tiny at times.

My first fly rod setup also was through cabelas.. honestly.. it's really tough to beat the price of their combos.. especially when you don't know where to start.. they do a good job matching up rod and reel and their fly line is probably the best fly line in the $20-30 range.. the prestige reel that comes on most of their lower end combos is also by far the best $30 reels you'll ever find

All really good to hear! Just about to head to Rogers now. Glad I read the great reviews on Cabelas stuff before going that way.

Thanks everyone for all the help

just got back from Cabelas. They had their combo kits regularly $120 on sale for 69.99. looks like a great kit, cant wait to get out there tomorrow and give it a try

Get out and have some fun. If you start to enjoy it, start setting aside money because the next one won't be far off wink

Get out and have some fun. If you start to enjoy it, start setting aside money because the next one won't be far off wink

and the next one.. and the next one after that... and yet another one... and if you get to tying your own flies.. all i can hope is your gf/wife is fiscally understanding haha

Congrats on getting the new combo! Like Eric and OAF said, the next rods won't likely be far off.

I talked a guy at Cabelas that was telling me the satisfaction he gets from tying his own fly's and catching fish. He talked it up quite a bit. Luckily my wife is very good with me and my hobbies :-)

It is very satisfying.. and buying flies gets old quick.. especially when they'll cost you anywhere from $1-5+ depending on the fly.. and on a good day.. you'll usually lose a couple.. and on a bad day you could easily lose over a dozen.. one day Ted and I lost at least a dozen flies between the two of us on one hole... we reclaimed most of them thankfully.. but it doesn't hurt nearly as much when a trout fly on average will cost me a couple cents to tie..

Quote:
one day Ted and I lost at least a dozen flies between the two of us on one hole...

well considering who were talking about here.....

well considering who were talking about here.....

HEY NOW!

That's just a low blow.... but it's pretty funny. Funny because it's true cool

full-6391-23121-flyfish1.jpg

first fish today, small but happy to get that first one. The casting is going to take some getting used to.

thanks everyone for the help.

I live in chaska, anywhere around here to got for trout?

Congrats on the first fish! A good start, and it will only get better.

For trout I'd probably head down south of Rochester if I was you. Otherwise, there are plenty of good streams a short drive into Wisconsin. Check out the trout stream maps for both states and just start exploring your closest options. Some will be pretty tough this time of year with the streamside vegetation up. It's a good way to make yourself a more proficient caster though.

If you make it down to any of the SE Minnesota trout streams, feel free to pm me for some help. I'm always up for fishing with new people if the opportunity presents itself.

After further inspection of your bluegill photo, it appears that the plastic wrap is still on the cork. You need to get some fish slime on that for some good mojo!

yeah...I was a little eager to get fishing I forgot to take the plastic off laugh

Ill check out some websites and if and when I get down to SE Minnesota I will let you know!

Just giving you a little grief. You're off to a better start than me when I first started. Keep up the good work and ask lots of questions.