• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Huntuing Regulations published!

Finlander

GRRRR. 130+ pages. Better put this one in the bathroom with a highlighter and some page markers.

Man I wish they could simplify this up a little.

They could, but that would mean that they wouldn't have as many employees...someone would lose their job! You're right LB....the Mn hunting regulations have officially replaced the sears-roebuck catalog in the outhouse at huntin' camp! grin

Wow, they really reduced the intensive harvest and management areas a lot more permit areas it looks like, I think that's a good thing....thoughts?

I'm in 222 Intensive , and the deer numbers are coming down , but we are going to cut back on shooting the does this year !

I'm in 222 Intensive , and the deer numbers are coming down , but we are going to cut back on shooting the does this year !

Wow, they really reduced the intensive harvest and management areas a lot more permit areas it looks like, I think that's a good thing....thoughts?

That depends, when you consider how mild the winter was, you can expect that the deer population in those areas will skyrocket, especially with a lower harvest rate. The parts of those areas that had been overpopulated were finally getting down to a manageable level again, but now who knows what will happen. I just hope they act quickly next year, especially if we have another mild winter again

I'm satisfied with the changes to the deer areas and the permits allowed. Our area has been suffering from low populations and too many tags being allowed for the last 6-7 years. Finally it is a lottery area now, which I "hope" will keep many of the hunters who shoot anything and everything at bay. Next step is wolf control.

Every thing needs balance.

Quote:
Man I wish they could simplify this up a little.

There is a reason its complicated. Its called a more granular rule book.

If it was simplified, that would mean generalized rules across the board, and people would bich about that too. crazy

Go read the regs for Montana for instance, and you will see complicated... What we have is a childrens book in comparison.

I'm okay with the regs, think the DNR overreacted in dropping some of the areas to HC from Managed that they did. The harvest was down last year I know, but the weather was horrible windy during opening weekend of gun season & in our area (213), you probably lose 1/3 to 1/2 the hunters after opening weekend. I think there are a lot more deer this year than there were last year.

I generally bow hunt and haven't taken a deer with a gun for a few years. I do put 2-4 deer in the freezer every year. From what I can tell, they missed the mark in one of my areas. I have had cameras out and have over 1000 pics on 1 camera since March (many of the same deer over and over but still...) and this area is a lottery area. Mild winter, twin fawns abound, not a great gun harvest last year and the DNR tightened the belt. I go out for a little drive or a 4 wheeler ride and I see three deer where I saw none for the last 4 yrs. Numbers are up........

Hunted last year 2 days in mid Oct and saw 12 and 11 different does / fawns on another public area in the same zone on those days. I think the DNR models are limited and they are being very conservative. It is tough to model though. Populations can be spotty.

In a year or two there will be deer all over and the DNR will probably have more Intensive Harvest areas and then keep them in place a year or two too long.

Good thing I hunt all over the state or I would be pretty disappointed with the DNR. Since I still can hunt many parts of the state I am just mildly disappointed with their management skills.

I was told they make changes to areas based on unused licenses. When my brothers property was in an intensive harvest area I would just go ahead and buy a couple extra doe tags figuring the money was going to do some good. I was told that because they went unfilled, the dnr thinks the deer population is down and tightens the harvest.

Needless to say I don't buy more tags than I need anymore.

Interesting, I do that too.

I was told they make changes to areas based on unused licenses. When my brothers property was in an intensive harvest area I would just go ahead and buy a couple extra doe tags figuring the money was going to do some good. I was told that because they went unfilled, the dnr thinks the deer population is down and tightens the harvest.

Needless to say I don't buy more tags than I need anymore.

Me too, but not anymore...be curious how much $ they will lose with less being baught this year.

Take into consideration, that license sales will be down a fair amount just with the changes to permit areas.

I would imagine a lot of people in managed areas automatically bought the anterless tag from the start so they could fill that with an antlerless deer and use the primary tag for a buck.

A lot of managed areas are now lottery or hunters Choice. meaning only one tag max can be purchased.

i think in general the rule book is alright. most felt that there would be a more conservative approach to the deer hunting zones this year. i'm ok with that.

as hockey says, i'm glad i don't have to make the rules. truly a thankless job.

if you ask 10 hunters from a specific area on how we should manage the herd, we all know your going to get 10 different answers!

Hunters and fishermen,including myself always know what is best for the resources. Were all experts. Sometimes too much.

I agree with most of the postings overall this years deer seasons quota are just about right. We got spoiled a little bit with to many deer permits in many areas. Many of these areas now the populations are way down,and they need a break.

Yes even within the same permit area you will have pockets of high populations of deer due to private land or maybe super habitat and food availability.

I think the DNR did a great job on regulations and limits this year.

Oh my goodness! "Thankless Job" could possibly qualify for the Understatement of the Year Award! I genuinely feel sorry for the DNR in Minnesota. I personally know a bunch of these folks, and believe me, I wouldn't want their job for $100K per year. Well...maybe $100K, BUT NOT $50K!

There's a reason most of em' carry side arms. They're law enforcement in the deep dark woods, and many of the folks they encounter bending or breaking the rules don't exactly "appreciate" being told they're breaking the law.

I think the reason why our Reg's book keeps growing is because they're trying so hard to satisfy everyone at the same time, and every time they think they've got their arms around an issue, someone either complains or breaks the rules.

It's an impossible task, but at least they keep trying. Considering what they're up against, with the resources they have being cut back year after year, I don't think I'd have the same tenacity. But you've got to admire their passion, and dedication toward the protection of our Minnesota Natural Resources.

I might be alone in this opinion, but my hat's off to the MN DNR! I know what it's like to pour my heart and soul into a job, and still have people cr_p on me daily in spite of my best efforts. frown