• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brown vs. Camo layout

Buying my first layout. Likely going second hand through online classified sites. I've laid in and know most the models I like that are in my price range. One thing I want to know is: Brown or Camo?

I will be hunting in primarily silage fields early season. Maybe bean or corn later?

What do you types of fields do you hunt with what color/pattern of blind and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Well with either of those options your going to have a tough time hiding in sileage, soybean and chiseled corn fields unless you paint in black and mud it. My recommendation would be to find the best price on the type of layout you want and let that be the determining factor.

Chances are you layout will end up look nothing like it did when you bought it. I have yet to hunt a field that matches the color of the layout when it was new.

Camo is way overrated on a layout blind. Think about it: how often do you just set the blind up and hunt out of it? Chances are, you're going to spend the time to stubble the pi$$ out of it and won't be able to see the fabric underneath, anyway.

I have a field khaki Finisher that works great, and was cheaper than the camo equivalent. And you're going to want to mud a blind before the season, too. That does a lot to dull the "shine" off the fabric, and pretty much makes whatever camp pattern is on it null and void.

That said, a camo pattern won't hurt, either. If you find a screaming deal on a used blind and it's camo, snatch it up. Like I said, it won't matter in the end because you'll have the thing covered in grass, corncobs, sticks, weeds, etc. on the morning of the hunt.

Like stated above it does not matter if it is camo or not. By the time you are done mudding/spray painting it and adding any natural vegetation to it you shouldn't be able to see the fabric anyways.

When I'm going to hunt silage fields anyways there isn't much vegetation left so I have a solid layer of mud on it anyways to blend in with the field. A brown blind may even be an advantage in those situations.

Forget the mud! Get a can of Krylon camo brown and spray it! Won't wash off like mud in the rain. I always get the vegation for the stubble straps on the edge of the fields we're hunting as there always seems to be a bunch on the edges where the machine turns. I also bring a small rake to gather vegitation or wheat or corn stubble for your blinds! Good Luck!

Thanks all. Picked up a khaki blind yesterday for under a hundred. Definitely found them consistently less expensive, and came to the rationale that if you are going to fully disguise it - then whats the point in paying 60 extra for Max4?

I like the spray paint idea...

Just curious what blind you got for under $100. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Also the spray paint does work really good, but for some reason I seem to like mudding mine on top of the paint as well smile

I don't mud my blind for the main reason one time after mudding my blind some mud fell in my eye and it didn't make the morning hunt very enjoyable. Plus painting makes the blind material more waterproof.

I also bought some Raffia grass in different colors so you can put on per stubble your setting up in.

Picked up a brand new FA Eliminator Express. 99.97. So actually $107 out the door. I know some people have complained about this blind as it doesn't have all the bells. I like that it's low profile, light, super easy to put up and take down, and I can backpack it out. Don't mind the lack of aluminum poles in the flaps because I think it gives it a less boxy more natural profile. I plan on hunting with 2dozen shells and silos. Light and easy.

Don't like the Foiles endorsement, but with daycare payments and student loans saving $60 outweighs my conscience just this once.

I'm gonna darken it with paint, and also looking at some camo burlap for covering. It would be easy to drape the bottom half the way it zips to the waist. then use whatever is in the field and build it up around.

I will say that i'm 6'2" and with boots on, I fill the length. So if you are a fellow scandahoovian who is taller than I, think twice about it. Hanging your head over that top pole might not be too comfy.