• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite semi-auto rifle and caliber for deer and elk

Guest Kyle

I really want a semi auto rifle, but cannot decide the caliber. I have been shooting a savage 30-06, and want something with a little less recoil. I know the .308 is very versatile with its many bullet weight options, and it's ability to reach out and touch at long ranges. I also like the .270 win, but I'm afraid it's so similar to the 30-06 I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in recoil. I've been hearing about the .270wsm, and the 7mm-08 but don't know much about either round. I want to be able to shoot 300-400yds comfortably in the future, and want to not make sure I'll have enough punch to kill an elk at 300yds. If you have any suggestions let me know. Im not against getting another bolt action but I just think the Semi-auto would be more fun at the range.

If your just getting a semi auto for more fun at the range, non of the higher powered round like you are mentioning are that fun to shoot or great target rounds due to cost. A bolt action is supposed to be more accurate, and is much cheaper. The auto will reduce recoil and a 30-06 is going to kick less. I have a 30-06 browning bar that kicks less or similiar to my browning a bolt 270. If auto id go 270 or even better 30-06 they are very versatile long distance rounds.

Good luck!

Never was a fan of semi auto for high powers, to much of a chance of something going wrong, bolts are far more accurate and trouble free, beside for deer or elk with a good quality round I have never had the need for more than 1 shot and putting another round in the chamber is simple and quick... I for many years used an auto for shotgun deer and after switching to a pump my shot to kill ratio was alot better....I'm a big fan of belted magnum rounds seen them drop elk in their tracks at near 500 yards and put deer down where they stand with no more or less damage than smaller rounds yet still be able to reach out to 1000 yards for that once in a lifetime deer trophy providing the shooter has the skill to make the shot...

If you are looking for something with less recoil than a 30-06, scrap the 270 WSM idea. I have one and it definitely beats me up more than any 06 ever has.

I think a 7mm-08 would be a great little gun for the range, and way more than enough for any deer. You can always hold on to your 30-06 for elk or bigger game, although I think the 7mm-08 would be plenty for elk at reasonable ranges. I'm not a believer that you need a huge magnum for hunting. I don't ever plan on buying anything other than my 270 WSM for all big game hunting I'll ever do. Make a good shot with the right bullet, and you will have no problems. I took a moose last year at 300 yards. It walked about 40 yards and flipped over on its back. Would not have died any deader had I been using a .338 magnum.

I would also shoot a few automatics before you decide to go that route. I hunted with autos my first 8 or so years deer hunting and hated them. I LOVE my bolt action. My goal is always for one shot kills. I practice, and then wait for a quality shot. When I pull the trigger, I never plan on not making a killing shot. To me, that's what's fun about hunting with a rifle.

Good luck! Gun shopping is always fun!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Check into a muzzle break for your 06 the plus side of this is you are used to your gun and it will reduce the recoil by about half

I'll throw in my two pennies.

Take your rifle to a quality gunsmith and get the stock sized to you and add a recoil pad. One size does not fit all. You might find the gun is a good fit already but you might find out that it's not.

Either way the recoil pad will take a lot of that punishment away.

Try out a Browning bar safari with the Boss system on in. I have 2 a .308 and a .300 win mag and both are tame for recoil and a really nice looking tack driver.

Managed recoil rounds are junk. Very inconsistent. I'm going to talk to a gun smith, and I may buy another bolt. I want another gun to play with, and to add versatility to my gun cabinet. What is the caliber to get?

30-378 or 338-378 would be my dream round....would be a sweet addition to my 300 H&H, 300 WM and 300 RUM....

I have a weatherby 30-378 its an incredible round highest velocity 30 caliber made doesn't get much more accurare made for long distance and tons of energy...but you don't want to target practice much as a box of 20 is 115$ gun comes with a break on it so the kick is less than a 30-06 nice to shoot but loud.

No offense, but why would anyone need calibers that big? I dont know any thing about those rounds, but they sound like they are bigger.