• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Beginner first trip recommendations

I want to try fishing the river, but don't want to wreck my boat. I love bass and walleye fishing mostly, but open to others. I live in Burnsville. Where can I launch and where should I fish? What should I look out for?

Rivers are spooky to my, but I know they provide better fishing then lakes do during these hot summer months.

Thanks.

I don't know about the south part of the metro but the launch at Boom Island in NE Minneapolis is a great sheltered launch. The fishing for smallies on pool 1 is pretty good as well.

I'm not much help. Pretty much a one trick pony on the river. For me it's a quick 15 minute drive to one spot and hang with friends while catching fish.

That said, what i know is to find slip streams and work them. I mostly jig fish them but see lots of people trolling.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Welcome. You can launch at Ft Snelling state park and motor into the Miss, or launch at Hidden Falls regional park. Trolling crank baits along current seams is working ok right now. The river is challenging in that it changes a lot, sometimes daily. You will find them in spot one day, and the river will rise or drop overnight and they are gone. If you are unable or unwilling to put in your time on the water, you could hire a guide either out of pool 2 or 4. Tell them what you want to learn, and they will be great teachers.Hope this helps. Good luck.

when going for bass do you guys work the main channel? Or are you going into the tons of little cuts and sloughs off of the main channel. Gonna give er' he11 again tomorrow with my dad. Got skunked yesterday cry