• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spot checks for invasives turning up violations

BLACKJACK

maybe the state should just giving online exams with specific questions bout specific issues they wanna tackle, that way even if u cheat (look up in book) by signing your license when u get it it would state you have read the current regs book & by signing the license the state can hold u accountable for all regs associated with said license wether u actually know them or not

Already in the works for 2015! Required online exam.

The location of the plug in my livewell makes it always have more than 2 table spoons of water left over. Beyond sponging it out, I'd have to park on a Duluth style hill to drain it all out.

If I'm on a lake with muscles in it like tonka, then I use the hose that they supply at the launch and rinse my livewell out right there.

wkndmomof2, Thank you!

I was just thinking(bad idea I'm Sure), what is one to do with the sponge when your done? Are you not still transporting water if you keep the sponge?

Doesn't make sense to me, other than the old out of sight out of mind logic.

wkndmomof2, Thank you!

I was just thinking(bad idea I'm Sure), what is one to do with the sponge when your done? Are you not still transporting water if you keep the sponge?

Doesn't make sense to me, other than the old out of sight out of mind logic.

boil it in 140 degree water. smirk

...maybe the state should just giving online exams with specific questions bout specific issues they wanna tackle, that way even if u cheat (look up in book) by signing your license when u get it it would state you have read the current regs book & by signing the license the state can hold u accountable for all regs associated with said license wether u actually know them or not

Us Lake Service Providers had to this year. You're next.

With all the duck hunters on Pelican lake and u-milfoil in there, I wonder how much is transported in decoy bags?

I have been all for trying to stop the spread of AIS but I am not going to go through these steps to make sure my boat is clean.

If they except or think any boater is going to do all of this, they are NUTS.

The DNR is going of the deep end on this one.

I will say, when I left the cabin the other day to come home, I washed out my livewell and did wipe it out or down. Not so much for concern about AIS but so the livewell does not smell like fish in the garage.

If average Joe was to do what this video shows, I would quit boating as I said, they are all NUTS.

If the DNR wants people to stop coming to Mn and the resorts and business's can loss income, keep it up elected officials and DNR.

Just maybe next year in session the legislature can correct this foolishness.

Welcome aboard reality Tom! I dont think any of us here are against not trying to spread AIS, their un realistic demands, and expectations are over the top. We should all do our part, but we need to be realistic, and not allow the sillyness to go overboard. We all have our breaking points, mine was reached a while back, others will see the sillyness of this as it gets worse as well.

NO Truth, it's me.

I am all for slowing the spread or stopping it but, it seems after I talked with the AIS person in charge at the DNR that this is nothing more than a wild goose chase as they know this will not stop close to nothing and they are simply trying to slow the spread until they can find a cure for this. That's fine.

After I watched the video above with the DNR fellow, they are all nuts to think anyone is going to go that extent with cleaning thier watercraft.

I will still do as I am suppose to as far as the livewell and plug and so on but I will not all but disenfect my entire boat when we all know, this more than likely will slow very little.

That video got me rather upset and numerous e-mails went out to my elected officials about this subject. I pretty much in no uncertain terms told them all that unless they can find a cure for the AIS issue, to please stop wasting tax dollars on this wild goose chase of a dream to satisfy all the lake shore owners.

I asked them to all watch this video and please reply to me that they believe that this is what all boaters should do to make sure that thier watercraft is AIS free. I highly doubt that I will get any replies as I cannot believe anyone would ask a boater to have to check all those spots and locations to make sure thier boat is AIS free. Of course, one coulkd but will it slow the spread of this, maybe, maybe not.

I also asked them in this economy, how much they have hurt the tourism in this state for all the business owners who will get hurt from outstate boaters that may now go elsewhere.

I said that I hope that in the next legislative session that they would rethink thier program for the AIS and is it really a wildfire out of control and will a 2 gallon bucket of water put it out.

Tom, I dont think the tourism is hurting yet, but once word gets out of these requirements, and tourist getting tickets, that will then slow it down I believe.

I will honestly say I havent been checked yet, and it is probably for the better, because I will voice my opinion to the inspecter/warden. But are they actually thinking by having a few inspectors out there is going to do anything at all?

Some common sense needs to be used on laws, and they need to use their best judgement. For instance, a few years back, I got a ticket for not having my front light on in the boat on my way back to the landing. Mind you the river was about as low is it is now, and was about 50' wide at its widest point. I had a 10,000,000 candle spot light on, shining my way back to the landing, but that wasnt good enough, they said I needed to have my front light on that has a 194 bulb in it, and isnt very bright, because how would on coming boats know which side is left, and right, without the green/red light on the front. Again, the river was barely wide enough for 2 boats to pass, so if 2 boats came together, they would be at idle passing each other anyhow. That and if they can see a small 194 bulb in the front of my boat, they should have no issue seeing a 10 million candle power spot light shining the water. But, since the law states "you must have the front navigation light on, while underway" I didnt, so I got a ticket.

Yes, welcome to the darkside Harvey Lee.

(not directed at any one person)

What is crazier, what we are asked to do now, or drain it and plant it to corn? Remember one of the options would stop the spread of AIS.

I have no issue with a CO checking me as they are only doing the job they were hired to do.

I do not have a problem with wanting to try to slow the spread of the AIS as most know but it is getting out of control what they want to do, the landing closure's and the costs to do what more than likely will not work.

When I talked with the head of the AIS Dept for the State of Mn., I asked what there was that could be done at this time to try to eradicate these issues and he said not one thing. He said we can try and hope to slow it and thats the best we can do. I can pee in the wind and hope I do not get wet but the odds are, I will.

I think that the avenues they are taking may help a little to slow the spread but it will never stop it totally and with the tax revenue that is being spent on the wash stations and hiring new employees, this is exactly what it is, a waste of money and time and a feel good for the states elected officials so they can say we tried. I think they need to sit down and try a bit harder as they are doing about nothing other than wasting tax dollars and upseting many people.

I knew this would get worse and the State may do whatever to mandate people to do this but they have crossed the line and should be stopped in thier tracks by those we elected.

Of the 3 e-mails I sent out this am, I have not recieved 1 response even not one from my State Rep Glenn Gruenhagen but he may be unable to respond that fast. Although Glenn has always responded within 1 days time.

I agree with everything you said Tom! I voiced my opinion to all of them a month or so ago, and Glenn was the only one to reply.