• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spot checks for invasives turning up violations

BLACKJACK

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/162814366.html

From the StarTrib. What I really like is the last part from the article -

"Three warnings were issued for transporting water. In at least one of those cases, the boaters had pulled the plug on their livewell, but all the water hadn't drained out.

"They made the effort," said Lt. Pat Znadja, but should have used a sponge to remove the rest of the water."

What the puck???!! So if I have say 10 sunfish in my livewell, leave the lake, pull my boat plug and my live well plug, leaving the fish in the livewell, I need to take a towel and dry all the fish off??

How stupid is that??!!

grin

Makes me glad i removed my livewell when i remodeled the boat this spring!

At least they can't see the water under my floor boards...

If the general public (us) have to do everything they think we have to do to slow the spread of AIS we don't stand a chance. There is no way we (the general public) are going to think of/remember to do all the stuff the tell us we NEED to do.

Here is the training video for the decontaminators (word??):

You know I think that the watercraft inspection program is a good thing but i do agree that they are taking it just a too little far. There is no possible way to drain every drop of water from a boat. The STOP of aquatic invasives will never happen but if we drain as much water as possible and clean as many weeds as we can it will slow the spread greatly, you are always going to have people that just dont give a rip out there and thats just way the it is going to be. Just my two cents..

I miss the days when all the DNR wanted to know was how many fish we had in possession. It seems like the DNR can get MN sportsmen to support any of their proposals no matter how ludicrous just by mentioning the word "conservation". I wish the sportsman in our state would show some backbone and support some terms like constitution, limited government and fiscal responsibility.

I have documentation (email) from the director of the Watercraft Inspection Coordinator at the MN DNR on a similar issue regarding water remaining in a boat after pulling the plug and have been told that you have to pull the plug and drain most of the water out. There is no specific amount defined by law that can/cannot remain in a boat.

I would take this to court if I was the person who got cited. This LT is making it up as he goes along.

All I got to say is two words.....revenue generation.

I think it all started because the DNR was going to get sued by Lake Associations. You can thank the lake associations for this one!

This would be going straight to court if it were me who got ticketed for water in the boat even though the plug was pulled.

What if it had rained for 5 minutes 10 miles down the road after you pulled the boat out

What if you pulled up next to a sprinkler that was spraying into the street at a stop light and it sprayed into your boat(has happened to me)

What if a water bottle tipped over in the boat

I wish the sportsman in our state would show some backbone and support some terms like constitution, limited government and fiscal responsibility.

There are those that believe that our natural resources trump all your personal rights. I wish that more sportsmen would show some backbone to stand up for the environment than their own personal interests. It's much easier to care about yourself than others.

Skunk, Not everyone is willing to give up their hard fought freedoms in exchange for weed prevention. You seem to put a really low value on your rights. America was founded upon individual rights not environmentalism and natural resource collectivism. Perhaps you can start "caring" about other taxpayers by not supporting these money wasting measures which empty our collective wallets.

"Skunk, Not everyone is willing to give up their hard fought freedoms in exchange for weed prevention. You seem to put a really low value on your rights. America was founded upon individual rights not environmentalism and natural resource collectivism. Perhaps you can start "caring" about other taxpayers by not supporting these money wasting measures which empty our collective wallets." Well said Skunk I am with you 100%

We have an old Alum Crestliner with the bench seats and the holes in the middle for the water to run thru and go out the back - there is no way we will ever get all of the water out - even with sponges..... I talked to the person at Lake Minnewashta the other day and they said 3 ounces of water will get you a ticket....

Same place, may or may not have been same guy, at Minnwashta told me it, they could fine for 2 teaspoons of water.

Skunk, Not everyone is willing to give up their hard fought freedoms in exchange for weed prevention. You seem to put a really low value on your rights. America was founded upon individual rights not environmentalism and natural resource collectivism. Perhaps you can start "caring" about other taxpayers by not supporting these money wasting measures which empty our collective wallets.
James R, if life were as simple as you like to make it out in your statements then I'd be tempted to agree. However, this isn't weed prevention. Weed prevention is something that you do on your lawn. This is about reducing the impacts of man-made changes to the environment.

You can assert that I put a low value on rights, and you're absolutely wrong. I just don't put any of our "rights" above our natural resources. That seems completely backwards. If I take your line of thinking as gospel, we might as well just pave over the forests. It's my right as an American! Yee-haw!! Hold on, I'm dumping my garbage into the river. It's my right! Gimme a break.

This nation is an afterthought to the world that existed before it. So we plopped down our flag and wrote a bunch of laws. It doesn't give us the right to destroy the land it was founded upon. In fact, I think that it charges us with the responsibility of keeping it as beautiful and natural as possible for your kids, my kids, and everyone elses for generations to come.

If limiting our impact on the environment is a waste of taxpayer dollars...I can't imagine what you believe is a better use.

X 3. With rights come responsibility.

How about putting the responsibility to PROVE the water I'm transporting contains invasives on the DNR? For all we know Suzie soccer mom is transporting zebras in what appears to be a bottle of Fiji in her cup holder. Can't prove that it isn't infected, fine, fine, fine!

Skunked nice post!

Hey guy's, The person/persons in the artical did NOT get cited, they got a warning(educated). I am amazed how facts get twisted and how assumtions become facts so quickly in AIS threads! crazy

That being said, I will never sponge out my livewell before leaving the access! Absurd.

I would like to see the wording of this law again, I can't remember anything more than essentially pulling all plugs and draining water before leaving, I don't remember any amound allowable min or max.

If anyone has a link to the law could you please post it.

So government force acting on behalf of the all encompassing banner of environmentalism is more important than individual rights? That's a very dangerous line of thinking very far removed from our founder’s vision. You talk about the laws of our country not meaning much when compared to our natural resources but your side has never had any qualms about using the law to your own advantage to get your way. We can talk about the merits of teaspoons of liquid in livewells and sponge water but that's really just one of the many negative byproducts of this whole earth first movement many of you espouse. To make the claim that the rest of us will pollute every square inch of land we can get to is just another tactic used by the left to grow government. Myself and all my neighbors take care of our property and have never had to "destroy the land" as you put it. I'm pretty sure the DNR sold their AIS scheme to the public as aquatic weed prevention or stopping the spread and not "limiting our impact on the environment" as you put it.

James R, if life were as simple as you like to make it out in your statements then I'd be tempted to agree. However, this isn't weed prevention. Weed prevention is something that you do on your lawn. This is about reducing the impacts of man-made changes to the environment.

You can assert that I put a low value on rights, and you're absolutely wrong. I just don't put any of our "rights" above our natural resources. That seems completely backwards. If I take your line of thinking as gospel, we might as well just pave over the forests. It's my right as an American! Yee-haw!! Hold on, I'm dumping my garbage into the river. It's my right! Gimme a break.

This nation is an afterthought to the world that existed before it. So we plopped down our flag and wrote a bunch of laws. It doesn't give us the right to destroy the land it was founded upon. In fact, I think that it charges us with the responsibility of keeping it as beautiful and natural as possible for your kids, my kids, and everyone elses for generations to come.

If limiting our impact on the environment is a waste of taxpayer dollars...I can't imagine what you believe is a better use.

Yeah, lakes with clear water and healthy populations of weeds are just terrible on the eyesight!! crazy Ya'll are crazy if you really feel that these invasives are destroying anything besides someone's lawn watering pump intake.

while i totally agree with the laws that have been set up to help curb transporting of invasive species, this "water in boat" portion is a complete joke IMO BECAUSE the burden of proof seems to be on the boat owner, not the law enforcement which is pure insanity & ridiculous. with this setup in place, any law enforcement officer could stop any trailered boat when it rains & check for "water in the boat", if said officer finds some, they could issue citation at their will for finding water in boat wether it be from rain, melted ice, water bottle, or who knows what. no burden of proof from law enforcement side that it was actually lake water. in order for this enforcement to have any shred of fairness, officers should only be allowed to check watercraft at lauch sites for lake water presence. once watercraft is on the road enforcement of this should cease immediately as there really is no way to prove one way or another where said water came from, and in this country we r innocent until proven guilty. unless law enforcement can come up with a fool proof way of testing any water found in a boat to be invasive species lake water on the road, this should be nulled immediately. any half witted attorney could rip a million holes in this b4 ink even dries on a citation.

I'm in a similar "boat" haha regarding water in the boat after I'm done fishing, but I always pull my plug and drain it. I actually contacted the DNR and have an email response telling me that there is no specific amount of water that you can be cited for, just to pull the plug and drain most of the water. I had a guy at Waconia tell me any more than two table spoons will get me a ticket.

They either need to publicly say a specific amount of water or shut up about it...

What am I supposed to do about the weeds, mud and dump from my duck boat, push pole, waders and 10 doz decoys w/lead weights? What are trappers suppose to do about trapping stakes and traps. (muskrat trapping) I know the answer but holy dump this is going to be a problem.

Can you imagine what the public accesses on Swan Lake will look like on opening weekend with AIS enforcement?

honestly the best thing anyone could to to avoid this issue for live wells is do what i do, use it for tackle storage and ALWAYS keep dry. bring a cooler or 2 with ice for beverages & fish and always keep both plugs in well. just curious, is anyone ever hassled bout this after a tourney after being in one when a live well is a must? this is really the only time i see it may be necessary

maybe the state should just giving online exams with specific questions bout specific issues they wanna tackle, that way even if u cheat (look up in book) by signing your license when u get it it would state you have read the current regs book & by signing the license the state can hold u accountable for all regs associated with said license wether u actually know them or not

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" and we are definately on a slippery slope as far as enviromental extremism tramping on individual rights. Its ALWAYS been in the philosophy of the Animal Rights, Enviromental Activists,Lakeshore Associations to influence control of the natural resources...control the natural resources, you control the economy, you control the economy, you control the people..get it? If you don't like the way things are going, remember look at the background of the people running for legislator, Soil Conservation,Judges,Sheriff etc. Educate yourself and VOTE!