• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Williams o'brian state park catfishing

bass_hunter

How is the catfishing at williams o'brian state park? Are there both channel and flathead in this area?

Catfishing has been good. Fresh cut bait seems to be the ticket right now. Picked up this flathead on Tuesday night.

full-8403-22139-10july201243x28.jpg

I've been trying this, but apparently I'm no catfisherman. I am however quite the turtle fisherman. eek

I've been using cut bullheads and got one good hit so far, but the skin of the cutbait somehow folded over the point if the circle hook and never did catch. Oh well. I'll have to keep trying.

BTW, what's better, fishing in front of a log jam or on a current seam?

I've been trying this, but apparently I'm no catfisherman. I am however quite the turtle fisherman. eek

I've been using cut bullheads and got one good hit so far, but the skin of the cutbait somehow folded over the point if the circle hook and never did catch. Oh well. I'll have to keep trying.

BTW, what's better, fishing in front of a log jam or on a current seam?

The answer to your question is "Both". When fishing the St Croix you can fish two rods or 3 rods if you are on the Wisconsin side of the river. When fishing a logjam I will almost always put one rod in front of the logjam (if its not too snaggy) and the other rod with cut bait on the seam. If fishing 3 rods I will put 2 rods out with live bait if I want flatheads and one out with cut bait for channels and just the other way around if I am after channels. 2 cut bait rods for channels and one live bait rod for flatheads.

This Wisconsin side of the river thing is important if you are truly after trophy fish. The more hooks in the water the better your chances of getting fish. Also if fishing Wisconsin waters you can use game fish for bait so things like sunfish, rock bass, saugers, walleyes are all bait options provided they meet Wisconsin length restrictions.

Also lets talk about bait. Bullheads are nice bait but don't limit yourself to just one option. It is now legal to catch and use bait harvested from the St Croix River. Most every trip I spend time at the front end of the evening just catching bait. It doesn't take but 45 minutes to an hour and it is easy and fun to do. A nightcrawler on the bottom using two or 3 rods depending where you are fishing will fill a livewell with suckers, sheepshead, mooneye, sunfish, perch, sauger, white bass - just about anything that swims in the river and it is all free bait. Cut that stuff up or use it live - it is the best bait going. What do you think the channels and flatheads are eating all the time? The same stuff you are catching for bait.

Remember this one point and you will not go wrong when catfishing - It is all about the bait!! You can do everything wrong and still catch fish if you have the right bait out there. That is how they find your hook. They respond to smell first, sound second, and just maybe they will see your bait in that dark, dirty, moving water. That current is carrying one thing that will lead them to your bait and that is scent. They will pick up the smell first and that will lead them to your bait. I most always use a mix of baits every time I'm out. A bullhead for noise/ vibration on one rod, cut bait sucker on another rod and if able to use 3 rods a cut sunfish if I have some but in any case a different kind of cut bait (mooneye, rock bass, sheepshead, etd). Then I'll see which bait is getting picked up the most and try to determine if that is what they want and if it seems that way then I will switch all my rods to the hot bait. But I am always prepared to try several options to see which one they want. My tip to you: Catch your own bait and use it.

Good Luck!!

I thought about doing that, but didn't for some reason. I guess I had my mind set on bullheads. Next time out, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the tips! smile

Is it legal to bring bullheads from another body of water and use them on the St Croix?? Jeff

Is it legal to bring bullheads from another body of water and use them on the St Croix?? Jeff

The answer to your question is: YES.

Page 12, 2012 Minnesota Fishing Regulations:

Up to 100 bullheads, 7-10 inches in length, may be taken and possessed for use as live bait. Legal methods of taking include dip net, angling or minnow seines. Live bullheads must be transported in a container with a locking lid to prevent escape. These bullheads are considered part of the possession limits on pages 27, 60-62, and 67-68. Bullheads less than 7 inches in length are considered minnows and fall under those regulations.

Got another nice flathead last night on a bullhead:

full-8403-22185-12july201243x27(1024x768

Thanks for the answer Steve. I have never caught a flathead before. Me and a friend are going to give it a try. Great picture! Take care and good fishing- Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I am almost 100% positive that a person must follow the rules of the state where the license is issued from regardless of what side of the border you are on while fishing a border water.

BORDER WATERS

Licensing

Canada-Minnesota Border Waters: Anglers who have a Minnesota

resident or nonresident license may fish only the Minnesota portion of

Canada’s border waters.

Other Borders: Minnesota shares border waters with each of its

bordering states: Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota, and North Dakota.

Residents of Minnesota or a bordering state may fish throughout the

waters bordering the two states only if they possess a valid resident

license from their resident state. Nonresident anglers who have a nonresident

license from either Minnesota or the bordering state may also

fish throughout the border waters between the two states. Anglers may

launch, fish waters from shore to shore, and may transport their catch by

the most direct route to the state in which they are licensed. This includes

children who are not required to have a license. Lake Superior is not

covered under this agreement and is not considered a border water. (See

pages 29-33 for Lake Superior regulations.)

When Minnesota’s fishing regulations differ from a bordering state’s

regulations, Minnesota residents and persons fishing under a Minnesota

nonresident license must comply with the Minnesota regulations. They

may only exercise the other state’s more liberal fishing privileges in

the territorial waters of that state with that state's license. Please check

other state regulation booklets and the Experimental and Special

Regulations section of this booklet (pages 33-54) for different regulations

that might apply.

Steve, I am almost 100% positive that a person must follow the rules of the state where the license is issued from regardless of what side of the border you are on while fishing a border water.

John - I'm not going to rehash what has been a long, lengthy discussion on several fishing websites concerning MN fishing rules and regulations. I have talked directly with several MN Conservation Officers and they have confirmed that when fishing WI/MN border waters it is legal to follow the Wisconsin fishing regulations while in WI territorial waters. I have an e-mail message from several Conservation Officers confirming this. Here is an excerpt from one e-mail message:

Alex Gutierrez is the Minnesota CO for the St Croix River in the Washington County area.

"The law reads, to exercise the more liberal regulations you must be confined to the territorial waters of the more liberal state. Both WI and MN residents need residents licenses from their respective states, any other non-residents (aside from MN and WI) with a non-resident license from either WI or MN will allow them to fish the border waters. So broken down to simpler terms for WI / MN borders, if an angler wants to fish with three lines or any method allowed by WI they have to be in WI territorial waters. Unlike the Mississippi which is defined by a channel and channel markers, the St Croix’s border meanders and is unclear, when in doubt better stick to the east side of the river if you want to exercise WI regulations (more liberal = east side). Unlike Walleye opener on the St Croix, Sturgeon season begins Sept 1st for WI, MN opens Sept 4th. So, if someone wants to fish Sturgeon starting Sept 1st, they must be on the WI side of the river, if they would like to harvest one during that time they need WI Sturgeon tag. Sept 4th through Sept 30th, MN side will be open for Sturgeon fishing and harvesting with a tag. Then “catch and release” from Oct 1st through the 15th.

I hope this suffices your questions, please feel free to contact me with any future questions or concerns.

Thank you

Alex Gutierrez

Conservation Officer

Department of Natural Resources

Division of Enforcement"

John - feel free to contact the MN DNR and ask this question of the Enforcement Division. You will get the same answer.

Steve

For what it is worth, the final ruling comes from a judge. An officer of the law can and will write a ticket based on what they "feel" is appropriate. What the regulations state are what is the law. The border is vague throughout the waterway as well. In some areas, someone might think that they are on the Minnesota side, but may well be in Wisconsin territory, and vice versa. I am not trying to be a richard, I just wouldn't want to see someone get into some legal issues based on opinion. Please don't feel offended, it is NOT my intention to be that way. smile

• 2 months later...

I just want to put in my own $0.02 regarding all of the gamefish bait laws while the topic is up. I think maybe all of us cat-guys should make an online petition to the MN DNR stating we believe Sunfish should be legalized for bait under certain size restrictions if used in water known to have catfish present. After all, it seems to me that there are WAY too many stunted populations of sunnies all over the state grin

• 1 month later...