• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Houseboat Trolling

Reason I ask is the rig may not be ready in time. Anyone that took a houseboat out ever try trolling from it?

It will be our first outing and I kind of picture it like a pontoon almost. It will be hard to maneuver around Islands and tighter spaces, but is it possible to do on a larger reef?

I have rented from Rainy Lake Houseboats many time and could not imagine trying to work a reef from one. The ones we rented were 50 feet long and not very manuverable. If your rig is not ready, they have boats for rent.

It will take too long to move from one spot to another. You will be stuck fishing one or two spots all day with only a houseboat. If the wind comes up, you will be totally out of luck.

I believe that they won't let you take a houseboat out without another boat. If you don't bring a boat, you must rent one from them. I rented on Kab from Ebel's a few years ago and that was the case.

Going to pick up a portable fish finder. Will just have to take out the 16' alumacraft boat, and just night fish from the houseboat.

Thanks for the inputs

Rueben is right. All the house boat operations I know of require a second boat. If you don't bring your own, you MUST rent one.

Yep, renting from Northenaire. They include a 16' Alumacraft. Just have to rent motor.

Don't limit yourself to just night fishing. We used to get the 16 ft Lunds and we ran all over the place during the day and caught plenty of fish. I think we got RLB to include a 'Fishing Buddy' portable depth finder with the boat and motor. I also carried a portable gps and my paper lake maps.

Forsure tcwin.

Just a few more days cant wait! Will be up there Aug 1-4.

Going to keep reading the reports on what to try.

Are the mosquitoes pretty bad up there like everywhere else here too? Buddy just got back from camping around Pine City. Said it was the first year they didn't start up a campfire, or stay up past sunset because of the buggers. Spray, candles, no workie...

I haven't had to swat a mosquito all year. Lots of dragon flies this year so they keep the small bugs down.

But lately the ankle biting flies and the deer flies have been bad during the day.

Had a Great Uncle who was in the merchant marine, mostly ore boats on the Great Lakes. I have the hand line setup he would use to troll off the back of the ships he was on. Wouldn't hurt to toss a line or two out when you are on the move with the house boat, or a slip float and live bait when anchored. More than once have picked up fish in variety of waters that way in places you wouldn't expect them. Can't catch them until you put a line in the water. Maybe spinners behind boards. Should be able to get a good spread with the houseboats size and height grin

Lakevet