• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report for upper mn river

Was bored last night and figured id try for cats. I know people have been saying that the bite is down but last night i must of caught 40 channels Im not talking the little guys. But the 2-7 pounders. It was alot of fun. My advice is to seek out cooler water.

Thanks for the report hamrej23 and glad to hear of your success it nice when a plan comes together and the fish bite.

Actually the channel bite has been nothing short of amazing the past few nights and literally turned on like a light switch. Some really nice ones mixed in too.

Too bad I've been spoiled by Canada though and the 10-15 pounders just don't do it quite like they used to. Still fun though!

You know what Dtro, I bet if you cracked out some smaller poles, those channels would be a great battle. I mean, 2-5 pounders are fun in the winter on the tiny ice gear in no current. I bet the 10 pounders in current could do a great number on a walleye rod. I think I'm going to leave my flathead poles at home and just go out with some walleye rods for channels next time I'm out smile

You won't be disappointed Brian. Medium action spinning gear Makes for some fun channel cattin! I've even caught channels on my ultralight on the crow - talk about a hoot! smile

Yep they are a blast I also cuaght a nice plump 26 incher on my ultra light this year it was defiantly drag screaming fun.

The channel cattin was fast and furious again last night! Got a couple over 10lbs and one that I would really like another shot at….it was a HUGE fish that popped off. Actually because of that, I’m not a real big fan of using walleye gear (for channel cats) in waters that big flatheads will regularly eat cut bait. There are too many times I’ve been waiting for a channel to hit and next thing you know, there is a 40 or 50lb fish on the other end. I do like to lighten it up a bit as I have some smaller stuff suited more towards channels, but in a pinch can still handle a big fish.

Well, you do make a good point Darren with respect to going TOO light on the gear in flathead territory. I've actually got a couple of rods that are just slightly less beefy than my bigger ones but still can handle a flathead, and I think I'll bring one along next time I'm out. They've just been sitting in the garage all year waiting to be used anyway.

Kinda like using a bass rod for a 75# sturgeon. Not quite the right gear, but it could be fun.

I always wanted to catch a big flathead on a cane pole now that would be fun. No drag the fight is all in the pole.

I watched my grandpa catch alot of big pike on cane poles but the difference was he was on a lake and when they wouldn't tire out he would just throw the cane pole in and follow it around until the fish was tired.

That wouldn't work on the river flathead would go itto a snag ansd all yo might be left with is the pole.

• 1 month later...

cane poling pike is great. usta do that quite a bit back in the mid 70s. Hard ta find a good canepole nowdays tho. My nephew uses a shortend cane pole for pike on the river. his favorite creek always has big pike lingering right next ta the steep bank. so he brings the 12 foot boat in close then plops a frog or small sucker over the side. good stuff

never new the channel bite was so good down there. sounds like folks are havin fun.... Or were having fun, not sure, im a little late ta the thread. hopfully yall still popin em

just got off the minnesota river myself a few hours ago after being on a boat for about 24 hours. and yes the channel bite is just incredible all 2-13 pounders prolly no more than a half hour between bites at the most. just ridiculous.only caught one 12in flathead. anybody know where all the flatheads are or why they arent biting?