• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

food plot time

sportfish

What is the latest you have planted brassica and rape seed and still got a good plot . We planted some already , but have a new 1.75 acer plot that wont be ready till the end of july to plant . I'm planing to put some of it in rye and peas in late Aug... Our corn and bean mix is looking great !

Brassica plots are often planted in late summer vs spring time. you are just fine.

I plant oats and brassicas every year and dont even thing about it until the last week of July. You'll be just fine! I hope we get some moisture around that time, but I guess thats out of our hands.

Late July is perfect as long as we get timely moisture. Mine will be going in about two weeks.

I guess I don't have the equipment to do a plot that big, but has anyone ever tried to scratch in a small plot with hand tools? Also if you do a small plot would it be better to do a few so that the lone one isn't annihilated?

First turnip plot I ever put in my son and I did in a few hours using a hand seeder and two rakes. It was probably 75 yards long by about 30 yards wide, and it turned out beautiful....deer tore it up. Later during the youth season my son shot his first deer right in the middle of the plot, so he thought that was pretty cool. Of course, it got timely rains, which is always the key with a plot planted in August.

Do the same here in S.W. minn. Works great if the rains come! I did the hand seeder thing and used a 4wheeler and a chain drag on mine. Works great just have to keep redoing it is all! How's the fishing down on the big lakes right now NWBuck?

How's the fishing down on the big lakes right now NWBuck?

Haven't been a lot, but a few times, and walleyes on Spirit have slowed some with the water temps in the 80's now. Lots of slot fish this like this 19.5 incher I got on a slow death rig yesterday. Beastly hot with no wind...didn't make it till noon.

P1060228.jpg

Next week it's slab bluegill time on West...

I guess I don't have the equipment to do a plot that big, but has anyone ever tried to scratch in a small plot with hand tools? Also if you do a small plot would it be better to do a few so that the lone one isn't annihilated?

That is how I do a lot of the smaller ones and clover mixed with chicory and rye grain works well.

We have been working on food plots since it got warm out in the Spring, discing , dragging and spraying to keep the site a little clean. I've read to plant brassicas 45 days prior to first frost and full growth is about 45 days as well depending on weather I suppose. Last year we planted them Late July, a little too much and they died and did not get as big as they could so this time we're gonna plant less and give room to grow. Fertilizing helps too. Have fun!

NWBUCK, Hey, hows it going? can you keep me updated on the bite as we were on Spirit Sunday after the Horned Trout Tourn. in Round Lake and only got a couple 13in's. Where do you get the biggy's in the summer on West. Like to take my grandkids if you want to share the info you can e-mail me at [email protected] and subject it so I know it's you. Thanks Jeff

We have been working on food plots since it got warm out in the Spring, discing , dragging and spraying to keep the site a little clean. I've read to plant brassicas 45 days prior to first frost and full growth is about 45 days as well depending on weather I suppose. Last year we planted them Late July, a little too much and they died and did not get as big as they could so this time we're gonna plant less and give room to grow. Fertilizing helps too. Have fun!

Yeah you don't want to over seed with stuff like rape turnips or rutabagas they are around a pound of seed a acre.

Here's some interesting tips from the Mn Deer Hunters website...The mix they are refering to is a turnip-beet-carrot-rape blend....

Big-n-Beasty Planting Tips

1. Big-n-Beasty is typically planted around August 1st depending on your location and your weather. Needs approximately 45-60 day growing season. Best if planted just before a rain. (Hint: Have fields prepared and ready to go, and then watch the weather forecast.)

2. BnB grows in most any soil given proper nutrients and moisture, but it prefers a well drained but heavier loam or clay soil.

*Approximately one month before planting condition the soil with a roto-tiller, disc, chisel plow or similar equipment to prepare a good seed bed. Next allow weeds to grow and then spray with Roundup one to two weeks before planting.

3. When ready to plant, loosen up the seed bed surface with a drag or chain link fence to further prep the soil. Do not till too deep, tilling deep will only bring more weed seeds to the surface. *Before dragging is a good time to spread your fertilizer.

4. Soil should be fertile with a pH of 6.5 to 7.5. If you are not sure of your soils fertility or pH, have your soil tested. Your local farm co-op or fertilizer dealer can usually help with this.

*A good fertilizer recommendation is 300-400 lbs of 19-19-19 followed by an application of 100lbs/acre of urea (46-0-0) after 4-6 weeks.

*If you see your plants turning purple and/or yellow it is lacking nutrients.

5. Using a hand or shoulder seeder, broadcast 4-5 lbs per acre. DO NOT OVERSEED. Can’t stress this enough.

* Set your seeder on one of the smallest settings. Walk fast and crank hard! Better to go back and overlap then run out of seed to soon.

6. Important: Use a cultipacker, roller, or even your ATV tires to pack the field to insure good seed/soil contact. You do not need to worry about covering the seed. If the seed is planted too deep, it will not grow.

Weed Control & Some Additional Tips

*As with all food plots it is always easiest and cheapest to start with a weed free seed bed using glyphosate (Roundup). As mentioned above, spray emerging vegetation 1-2 weeks before planting your field.

*If Roundup is used prior to planting and under normal growing conditions, Big-n-Beasty grows fast enough that it should out-grow any weeds. If you do have a problem after germination, use a grass selective herbicide such as Select or Poast. This won’t help with broadleaf weeds but it will control grasses.

*If you have sandy soil or want to improve any field, try planting an inexpensive Spring annual such as annual rye grass or rye grain. Plow under this “green fertilizer” a few weeks before planting. This practice used by many crop farmers will help condition your soil, gather nitrogen, control weeds and add organic material to your soil.

*If you are concerned about having additional forage in the Spring, mix in a small amount of clover seed when planting the Big-n-Beasty. (no more than 1-2 lbs/acre) This is not a recommended strategy for creating a good clover field, but it does provide some additional Spring forage for the deer until you till the field again.

Yeah you don't want to over seed with stuff like rape turnips or rutabagas they are around a pound of seed a acre.

Yep, we will only get better from trial and error. I was told not to over seed but I did not really see why but yeah I dumb enough to not listen. Whoops, this year should be better but let's hope for some rain too!

Brassicas should be seeded at 6 lbs per acre...a pound can get pretty thick and compete against itself. They come up fast and canopy fast which provides for good weed control.

I usually include our "Peas & Oats" mix with my Brassi Buck mix for a couple of reasons.

1 - The Peas & Oats provides me with "tracers" helping me spread out the seed evenly. I try to have the Peas & Oats seed spread at 2 to 4 inches apart which then places the Brassi Buck evenly within.

2 - Deer usually won't touch the Brassi Buck until late season but adding the Peas & Oats allows for an "early fall" attractant and holding while the Brassi Buck is growing. The deer while start eating the Peas & Oats right away but leave the Brassi Buck along..."early fall attractant" and great for archery season. Then the deer will eat both around firearms season and really hit the Brassi Buck during the muzzleloader season..."late fall attractant". In this way, you get a longer use out of your food plots. If you are going to go thru the time, energy and cost of putting the food plot in, why not get a longer use out of it.

I plant this around August 1 - 15.

Land Dr