• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How close is too close?

Yesterday the old lady and I went to go catch some walleyes on a well known rock-pile at about 7 pm. I could see fish on my Hbird, so I put my terrova down and put it on anchor mode. We fished for about 25-30 minutes and caught a couple little walleyes and we we're enjoying our time together on the boat catching walleyes, listening to good tunes, having some good conversation, and anticipating when the bite would get hot as it got closer to sundown.

Then another boat started coming towards the rock-pile, which covers a total area of roughly 2.5 to 3 acres if not 4 (at least). Well, to cut to the chase this boat with 3 late-middle aged men.... decided to drop anchor less then a boats distance away from us (15-20 ft approximately)

I am quite an un-confrontational person, I don't like fighting, I can't even watch MMA and a simple argument with another person gives me a sickening feeling of guilt... so I really did not want to say anything like "could you please move a little bit".. to these guys because I was afraid the would just give me the bird and say something like " you don't the own lake" or some other cliche statement.

It's so weird being so close to another boat where you can hear everything that everyone is saying unless your whispering in your fishing partners ears with hand over your mouth like like your the pitcher and its game 7 of the World-Series.

I assumed the after all of the whispering and OBVIOUS body language between me and the lady that it would be clear to the other boaters that we were not happy with their close proximity to us. After all it is a bit of a safety issues because it was very windy and very cloudy and most people that use I-pilot know that in heavy varying directional winds the boat can sway and decent amount, and rarely lose GPS position causing you to drift off the spot...

Well these guys wouldn't move so in a last ditch effort I did the passive aggressive MN thing and I grabbed my biggest bulldog and started casting it around, hoping that all the commotion from the giant bulldawg would make the move to another spot.... but it didn't work...

They ruined mine and my girlfriends time, which really upsets me because I'm a huge outdoorsmen and fishermen and I'm trying to spark a passion for the outdoors for my girlfriend. And all that would come out of her mouth after the other boat had arrived was stuff like " this is awkward" or " this is weird".

So after about 30 minutes of awkward silence where neither boat caught a fish. I pulled my trolling motor up and with a S*** eating grin I said "good talk guys" and took off to our next spot where we caught 16 walleyes between 14-23 inches, all released.

Seriously how close is too close? And if someone asked you to move a little off of their spot... How would you handle it.

My girlfriend did not appreciate my rude gesture at the end of the ordeal and i'm not happy with myself about it either. I feel like I handled the situation very poorly and I hope people on this forum can be nice and not criticize the event and instead offer everyone some good advice if something similar to this happens to them. I've gotta round of Golf to play so I hope for a lot of good responses when I come back!!

Thanks,

RAW

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moose-Hunter

• Stick in Mud

• RumRiverRat

• Bassburch

This is a direct result of people thinking that they can only find fish at one spot. When they launch their boat they have one mindset, which is go to where ever they caught fish in the past, or the only spot they know, I guess it's hard to blame them, but they will never become a become a very good fisherman that way.

I bet you got a lot more satisfaction out of moving and catching fish then you did confronting them (at least when you think back on it a day later).

This issue will NEVER go away, tho only thing you can really do to save a little sanity is to move. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them know how you feel before you leave, but nothing good can come of sitting there and arguing and nobody moving.

IF I really want to fish a spot and someone else is there, I'll just ask how they feel about it and then set up at a respectable distance.

Personally, I'd much rather catch nothing with no boats around then hammer them in a situation where you can cut the tension with a knife. Especially with all the guys that have sidearms aboard these days.

On a rock pile that size if you can easily cast into their boat, they are too close. I would've sarcastically asked if they could get a little closer and hopefully they would get the hint. If not I probably would've done just what you did and put something big on and kept casting closer and closer to them and maybe even "accidentally" snagged one of their lines.

When you left did you go in circles around them a few times to make sure they knew you weren't happy? That would have been fun to see.

I don't think I'd be ignorant enough to set up that close to someone where it would give them the opportunity to ask me to move so I don't know what I would do if I were asked.

On the positive note the fact that they chased you out of that spot might have been a good thing because you ended up catching fish.

I think you handled it much better than many others would have. I have only been in that situation a couple times and once the other boat hung my sons line with theirs while they cruised past. My son 14 at the time, gave him a piece of his young mind, being respectful but stern that there was a ton of room and they did not need to be so close. They apologized and went on but it happens everywhere. Good luck.

I believe every one who fish's has had a boat all but park on top of them.

I think if they are closer than casting distance, then it is too close.

I typically do say something when they park very close.

I was fishing gills this spring and the bite was good. This guy kept creeping up the shore line with his trolling motor until he stopped I would guess 2ft from the back of my boat. He said fishing looked pretty good and I said yes and I would guess that is why you all but parked in my boat. he said nothing. Well, I hate people that close so I pulled my anchor up and was moving and he said where are you going, I said they pretty much quit here and I am going to where they typically really bit.

I moved down the shoreline to a location he drove right over on his way to me and anchored. I would guess within 2 minutes I was hammering the nice gills and guess what, he pulls his anchor and drift right to the back of my boat.

I pulled my anchor and he said what, did they quit and I said no, I do.

No reply back from him.

On a slightly different note...nothing is worse than when you are on a good drift, or are pulling cranks, and someone drops anchor right in your regular path. To make matters worse, they glare at you as you drift past on the same line you've been catching fish for an hour or so.

On a slightly different note...nothing is worse than when you are on a good drift, or are pulling cranks, and someone drops anchor right in your regular path. To make matters worse, they glare at you as you drift past on the same line you've been catching fish for an hour or so.

LOL!!

Just yesterday I dropped a bouy where I caught a 17" walleye while trolling cranks. I was about 50 yards from my bouy when a guy pulls up and asks "Is that yours?", I replied "Yep."

I continued my troll upstream while he started to vertical jig around it (and didn't catch anything)......... I came back around and picked it up.......told him it was a great spot for sheephead wink

A cast away on most lakes. Rivers in the spring can be the exception to this. A direct you're too close could move away so I can cast works. If they don't move a cast by their boat helps them see the picture more clearly. If they still don't move leave they aren't worth the frustration.

When I was younger this type of thing bothered me but as I got older, not so much. I've had people go all sorts of things both open water and ice fishing. I just move on and don't get stressed out about it.

That's me, softer kinder and gentler!! Ha!!

Mike

I too have had that happen.

Not much you can do about it. I have thought of actually inching up even closer to the other boat and getting as close as possible...like touching the other boat. The issue is when you start fooling around with that kind of stuff it disrupts your own fishing even more - and its just a no win situation.

Get up on their bow, pull your the GPS, and say,"The guys on that fishing forum are going to LOVE this spot!" grin

Had a guy drop his anchor literally 10 feet off my bow once. I just left and tried not to let it bother me too much.

I had people cast their lures IN my boat or get tangled in my drift sock(which is blaze orange) On the Rainy in the spring, I expect to have other boats close, whether anchored or drifting. Usually always come home with a few jigs stuck in the rope. On LOTW last winter -had someone drill a hole within a step of my wheelhouse. A couple years ago, had another boat hit me from behind when I was drifting. Crowding is a hassle, both summer and winter. There is no easy way to handle the situation. Some people just don't use whatever common sense they were born with.

Yep, to me it's not worth it to get into an argument and ruin my day.

Anyone who does it either has no confidence in their skills, or feels entitled to "their spot".

I remember years ago when someone would pull up on us, my Dad would just casually ask "hey, have you got any velcro?" and either they got the hint and moved, or we moved. Sometimes we took a very circuitous route as we left at 1/3 throttle. whistle

To rephrase an old saying; The best revenge is to go to another spot and catch fish.

The last time someone did that to me, I took a big daredevil and casted at their boat and hit it, they were not happy and I told them that they were too close and to move, they didn't. So then I picked up, drove circles around their boat at about 1/2 throttle and left. they were mad but I don't care. they were way too close and should have had some common sense about it. I don't put up with that kind of dump.

I guess it all depends...on opening weekend on Mille Lacs, when there are hundreds of boats fishing the same two reefs, you're bound to be close to someone.

In your situation, however, I'd say you're in the right to get mad. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing you can really do except move. If someone is willing to anchor up that close to you, there's probably zero chance they'll move if you ask them to.

The last time someone did that to me, I took a big daredevil and casted at their boat and hit it, they were not happy and I told them that they were too close and to move, they didn't. So then I picked up, drove circles around their boat at about 1/2 throttle and left. they were mad but I don't care. they were way too close and should have had some common sense about it. I don't put up with that kind of dump.

classless and dangerous...

I would offer to let them tie up to my boat if they want to fish the spot so bad, no sense in getting the anchors tangled up.

classless and dangerous...

I agree.

You sling any bait at my boat and hit it you will have to explain yourself to local law enforcement.

I agree.

You sling any bait at my boat and hit it you will have to explain yourself to local law enforcement.

Really???????????? crazy Call the cops????? I think they have more important things to worry about......like rape, murder, child abuse etc. Not for some d-nozzle with no respect for another fisherman's space.....

Maybe you could tell your teacher or principal, if they didn't do anything about it you could call your Mommy......... laugh

Really???????????? crazy Call the cops????? I think they have more important things to worry about......like rape, murder, child abuse etc. Not for some d-nozzle with no respect for another fisherman's space.....

Maybe you could tell your teacher or principal, if they didn't do anything about it you could call your Mommy......... laugh

What if the lure hits you or the other occupants of the boat in the face?

Putting up with boorish behavior on the water is not something anyone should have to do.

You throw a heavy metal object at me that is called Assault. Last time I checked that is a big deal.

I also love the mature responses like doing circles around their boat and 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. That is real classy and makes you no better than someone who fished too close to you.

Next time someone pulls up to close just ask them if they know any show tunes? and if they want to join in a sing-a-long. Then start to sing something you don't know the words to.

If that fails start asking questions about everything like your four years old, repeat the word "why" a lot.

Now THAT is the best response I've heard yet!

Oldest trick in the book = act like you are completely insane = they'll go away!

Fill your pants with carp, then roll around naked singing Coom by ya! laugh

I've had so many experiences of other fisherman jumping in on my spot that I've stoped fighting City Hall. I usually welcome them and start a conversation. I'm not saying that I like it, but I don't go out there to get pi$$ed. I try to take it in stride.

30 years ago, when I first moved to Minnesota, I couldn't afford a boat and I did a lot of fishing from shore. Almost every time I was out someone or even a group of people would walk up and cast a line right next to me. It never seem to matter because just about anywhere I went that was the way it was. I had a lot of good times talking with the people I met on shore. Over time I shared many barbecues, ate my first smoked lake trout, drank a lot of free beer and I even got invited to a cabin party for a pig roast. The best part of it was that I met two of my closet friends on the shore. So when someone pulls up it might just be an opportunity. Just saying....

Now Down Deep has a great attitidue. I basically do the same thing. If someones comes in on me I simply start talking to them. Most folks are pretty nice and a will participate in a conversation. Others will find me annoying and will leave. I fish quiet a bit so I have no problem leaving if it gets too crowded and I will move on or come back later. Fishing is supposed to be relaxing and I will not let others ruin it for me.

Next time someone pulls up to close just ask them if they know any show tunes? and if they want to join in a sing-a-long. Then start to sing something you don't know the words to.

If that fails start asking questions about everything like your four years old, repeat the word "why" a lot.

Sing the song mockingbird like Harry and Lloyd sang in Dumb and Dumber. grin

Twice I've had people catch my anchor rope with their hooks, I just reeled in my rope, cut their line, and tossed their lure in the water - they got the hint that they were too close.

I go fishing for peace and quiet, when people come in too close - where they're in my casting range - I pull up and leave - but before I do let them know that they're too close, that there is a lot of lake out there to fish without crowding people.

My thinking is that may be they don't realize that not everyone likes bumper boat fishing and that maybe, just maybe, they'll think twice the next time they crowd a fisherman.

My 8 year old son and I had a guy pull up to us after we had been fishing for a while and ask us to move because he already had the spot as a way point. Can you believe that. He just showed up and asked us to leave. All I could do was laugh and ask my son to reel up.

I'm thinking something along the lines of an auxiliary speaker connected to the stereo (if the boat has one, mine doesn't frown ), 1 tory amos CD, or maybe Mariah Carey. Crank up the tunes, and point the speaker in the direction of ... the party.