• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poor service from boat Dealer advise

I recently purchased a $20,000 boat that a local dealer here in the cities had on consignment. I knew going into it that the boat had some issues but since it was only 3 years old I was OK with buying it just the way it was. The only thing I told the salesman was that I had to have the weather enclosure for it or I would not buy it. He assured me that the owner had the top & that I would get it. About a week later he called & told me the top was there & I could pick it up. After picking it up & taking it home I found that it was not for the model of boat that I had. I called the dealer & he said that the owner of the boat I had also had a different boat & he must have given me the wrong top & he would see what he could do? Well now a month later after calling him once a week he is pretty much telling me that I should just sell it & pay the difference for a new top. Well believe it or not I found a guy that could use the top that they gave me & would pay $450 for it. I called the dealer & told him the deal & that if they would give me the $250 difference I would have a new top made & everyone would be happy. He said he would talk to his manager but that’s been about two weeks ago & I have not heard a thing. My Question is do you guys think that I am being hard to deal with or should the dealer help me out on this deal?

I'd say its time to go above the salemans head, he's had an opportunity to make good. You set the terms of the purchase and he so far has not lived up to his part of the deal. You dropped 20K with the understanding that the enclosure was a make or break item and he agreed to those terms. If anything you've been to nice IMO.

Go to the manager the salesman isnt doing his job, as a salesman myself communication is key good or bad you need to talk to your customer and hes not doing that

I have talked to the manager & he says that the salesman will have to take care of it. Does anyone know the owner of a certain dealership that has about 4 stores & sells lund boats around the cities because I sure would like to give him a call.

Dan

It does not list any contact info does it? I have already sent a email to there general info email with no reply about a week ago.

I would not have picked up the boat unless the top was also with the boat.

You are correct, looking back at the deal I should have seen the cover before I paid for the boat. The only problem I see with this logic is where does it end? Do we as buyers have to make sure that everything we buy is 100% before we pay for it? I guess I just cant undersatnd how a dealership or anyone for that matter can think they can get by with stuff like this?

Anyway getting back to the subject at hand, it looks like most of you guys think that the dealer should help me out & thats what I was really trying to find out in the first place.

Thanks for the replies & keep up the work on a great site.

Dan

Thanks for taking the time to look for it. Yes I did send them a note with no answer. Maybe I will hear something after this weekend?

Dan

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The boat was sold under consignment. I don't see how the dealer would be held liable as they are only the middle man. What you see is what you get sort of deal.

The boat owner would be the one to take up with.

Since you sold the boat cover for what I'll assume what you thought it was worth.

That sort of lets everyone off the hook since you've been compensated the value of a used boat cover and that is what you bought, a used boat cover.

You have the choice to find a used cover that fits your boat or buy a new cover and pay the difference.

Why do you feel you should get a new cover out of the deal without having to pay the difference?

I think that sellers sell stuff on consignment so they do not have to deal with stuff like this, & I do not feel I should have to go deal with someone else besides the people that made the statement "you will get a cover".

I do have a question for you Frank, I have not sold the cover so where did you get the info that I have? I did tell the deler that I had a buyer & was going to sell it if they would cover the cost to get me into a cover but before I got back to the guy he had found one somewhere else. I never said it had to be new cover, I just asked for a cover that woud fit on my boat.

If it wasn't on consignment I would say you have a good case against the dealership but since it was consignment it is as much your fault as the dealers as you paid and walked before your requests were met. What if they got you the right enclosure and it had holes all through it or was basically junk? Did you state or the dealer state that it was or had to be in excellent condition? At least you got an enclosure and something to sell and get money towards a new one for your boat. I would chalk it up as a lesson learned at this stage in the game...sucks but not much I see you can do....Good Luck

So how about it was your boat the I had purchased, You happen to give the dealer the wrong top & when you contact them to make it right the dealer says "we told the buyer of the boat to sell it & get one that fits" Now you are out a top & so am I.

What makes me the most upset about this whole deal is that they just kind of blow this stuff off & the buyer is out.

The dealer did contact me first thing today (funny how that works) & it sounds like they are going to get me a top. If they so I will let you guys know that it all worked out, If they dont you will see the name of the dealer posted on this site.

Dan

You are correct, looking back at the deal I should have seen the cover before I paid for the boat. The only problem I see with this logic is where does it end? Do we as buyers have to make sure that everything we buy is 100% before we pay for it? I guess I just cant undersatnd how a dealership or anyone for that matter can think they can get by with stuff like this?

Yes, thats usually the way it works. When making a major purchase like this I think it is reasonable for the buyer to make 100% certain that everything is in order. Especially on a consignment deal like this since the dealer is just a middle man and is only going by what they seller told them. This isn't much different than a "List o' Craig" deal. Would you have purchased the boat from a "List o' Craig" seller without making 100% certain that the cover is what you expected?

Did the dealer or seller make any statments regarding the boat being sold AS-IS or anything like that? Is that statement on the paperwork anywhere? If so then I'd say you are out of luck and should have been more diligent in making sure things were in order first.

Since you did get a boat cover with the purchase of your boat I think your best bet is to sell it and bite the bullet and buy the cover that fits your boat. And chalk it all up to being a lesson learned.

The dealer is the middle man, however they should act like it and do everything in their power to make the buyer happy. After all they are getting a piece of the pie too. Its in their best interest to make it right, and I'm sure they will.

As far as making sure that everything is 100% in order, I believe he did that when he had the dealer assure him about the cover.