• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Eating Bass

I like to eat fish. Salmon, lakers, pike, eyes, bass, pan it doesn't matter. Fried, grilled, smoked, pickled, baked, poached or pattied when done right they are all good.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CANOPY SAM

• Stick in Mud

• pushbutton

• Wabamskee

I suppose it probably depends on how much fish you eat....I've had two meals of walleye this year and that's it. Maybe if I had more I'd have a better sense of taste.

...But now that I think about it, I don't know. I've had plenty of Miller Lite AND Bud Light this year, and I still can't taste the difference. smile

Sunfish are our absolute favorite delicacy but a pain to fillet large numbers. We just got back from "up north" and the resort owners informed us you can't tell much difference between rock bass and panfish. We tried it and they were right! I was also going to throw back a few nice sized large bass and they asked "why?" I thought this to be refreshing after seeing all the "Support C&R" signs up there. We're not meat hogs by any means but it's nice to keep some fish and cook them up without people trying to make you feel like you're a criminal!

sunfish are our absolute favorite delicacy but a pain to fillet large numbers. We just got back from "up north" and the resort owners informed us you can't tell much difference between rock bass and panfish. We tried it and they were right! I was also going to throw back a few nice sized large bass and they asked "why?" I thought this to be refreshing after seeing all the "Support C&R" signs up there. We're not meat hogs by any means but it's nice to keep some fish and cook them up without people trying to make you feel like you're a criminal!

I'VE HAD ALOT OF BASS THAT WERE MUCH BETTER THEN WALLEYES I HAVE CAUGHT! NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM, AS WITH ANY FISH DEPENDS ON THE LAKE.

Curious you mentioned that the eyes from Red tasted better...I'd heard that over the years, but until we bought a cabin up there 3 years ago I never really bought into it. Now, I do. They just taste better than many other walleyes I've had...although I don't agree that wayyeles have no taste, I find them all very tasty, just a little better out of Red for some reason.

Funny...I live by superior and really just don't like lakers! And i've tried good ones from lakes in the BWCA. Different strokes I guess:)

Oh, and bass are still nasty:)

Maybe it IS the water up there! Try this one on for size: After reading people's responses on this forum to, um, let's call them freshwater drum, saying they were pretty good and even great if blackened, I had to try one on our URL trip. The guys I was with kinda wanted to make like they didn't know me when they found out I was serious and made me keep mine separate in the fish cleaning shack.

We ran those drum fillets through the deep frying process AFTER the walleyes were all done. After the taste test we were all satisfied it was a decent fish to fry. We thought they were just like a big sunfish.

I took samples to our fellow campers who were stunned to see someone actually keeping drum to fillet. The response was about the same from everyone: Nothing wrong that! We spread the word around and by the end of our 3 days we weren't the only ones keeping and eating them. I won't say they beat walleye but they were at least as good as bass!! grin