• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Eating Bass

Try the bigger ones next time. They taste better and can typically be caught on the bottom with a carp style rig. laugh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CANOPY SAM

• Stick in Mud

• pushbutton

• Wabamskee

I usually like to fillet my bass, place it on a wet cedar plank, cook it over an open flame for an hour, throw the bass away, and eat the cedar plank.

grin

Caman, that is awesome.

Reminds me of a joke about Lutefisk.

"How do you know then the Lutefisk is done?"

"When you set it outside the door and even the stray cats wont eat it"

I am not a big fish eater at all.

After eating deep fried or pan fried fish I can just feel my arteries clog up. I have been trying more broiled fish on the grill - and do really like that. But I guess the bottomline for me is that if I am going to eat a meal of fish - I will save it for walleyes or crappies. Nothing against folks who want to keep a meal of bass. Just a personal choice.

I'm mostly a c&r guy, so when I read about eating bass it goes against my values. However one of the guys in our group will eat almost anything that swims. He gets upset when he has to release anything. A real meat monger. Oh and the iPad doesn't do a great job at catching all typos. No worries.

I do not keep many fish either, but since many people do, think harvesting the smaller bass for the pan from many of the overpopulated systems is simply a win win. If there was not such a stigma placed on it there would be less pressure on the panfish and pike species, yes, the coveted walleye is technically just a little less slimy pike smile ; and, would also help the thinning of the herd for the catch and release hog chasers, as well the folks that need to "feed their starving families." wink

I keep a lot of bass. They are pretty easy to clean and I think they taste OK. I have a few family friends that I give most of them too and they are always asking for more.

If you bleed your bass out before cleaning them removing all blood from the meat you will end up with nice white fillets that are good to eat. No bad taste. I grab mine from the livewell cut them up from under the jaw to the backbone where the main blood vessel is and throw them into a bucket of cold water to bleed out. Then put them in a plastic bag and throw them in the bottom drawer of the fridge for a couple hours. This firms up the meat to make filleting easier(not mushy). You end up with nice white fillets that are good to eat.

An earlier poster said he kept gut and gill hooked fish that were good to eat. That's probably because they bled out.

I agree never heard trout was bad...it's delicious...personally I love bass, get a lot of meat off the little ones... now heres a question has anyone ever tried rock bass... I hear only certain kind of people keep them (some of you know who I'm talking about), but then I read in outdoor weekly they taste like panfish lol...anyone confirm that??

We lived on a resort during college in Bemidji. In the fall the guys from Iowa and Kansas would fill pails of big rock bass and they loved em. We just couldnt get ourselfs to do it. Rock bass just look gross plain and simple. Though easy to catch and big in size.

You can eat anything if you cut it in small enough pieces, dip in beer batter, deep fry, and have a sauce to dip it in.

I agree never heard trout was bad...it's delicious...personally I love bass, get a lot of meat off the little ones... now heres a question has anyone ever tried rock bass... I hear only certain kind of people keep them (some of you know who I'm talking about), but then I read in outdoor weekly they taste like panfish lol...anyone confirm that??

I've eaten them. the ones from Lake Vermilion are good. Not incredibly meaty but good.

I have not eaten a Largemouth bass for a long time now, cant remember last when. But the one i've kept were likely 12" or smaller. As with bigger or older fish the meat texture isnt as nice and flaky.

I personally think Smallies taste way better the LM bass, even in larger size up to 15"-18". In part I wont eat if bigger then 12'-14" if I do decide to in which I havent done so in a long time.

Rock bass - I dont eat, im sure it taste like panfish.

White bass/striped bass - ocassionally smaller individuals.

Some sort of Sea bass - Once in a blue moon.

As many have already said, putting a teaspoon of salt in the cold "soak" for fillets is key to removing red blood cells. Just plain cold water will eventually remove most blood from fillets, but the addition of a little salt will "lyse" the cells, while plain cold water will normally only serve to congeal the red blood cells and form clots.

A good tip for really good fish prep...keep your fish really cold from the time of catch to fillet prep. If it's mid-summer, with very warm water in the live well, have a cooler at the ready with plenty of ice, immediately dispatch the critters and simply toss your fish on ice right away. Fish flesh is like milk. If it changes in temperature by only a few degrees once the fish expires it will immediately begin to spoil...unless it is cooled down quickly.

While filleting your catch gently wash the fillets with cold water, but not too much or you'll remove ALL the fish flavor, then drop them in a large bowl of lightly salted water, with lots of ice cubes. Leave them in the ice water until your ready to cook. The fillets will be clean, blood free, and very firm - perfectly prepared for cooking.

Any fish can be prepared for cooking this way, but the quick cool down is vital to a firm, flaky, flavorful product.

I've eaten fish of nearly every species, and when done properly there's simply nothing that compares to fresh walleye, salmon, trout, or crappie.

I'm not aware that there is any stigma placed on someone who keeps a meal of fish, whether it be a limit of small bass, or legal walleyes. Everyone of my family loves fresh fish, so if there is a stigma, then I guess I'm a habitual criminal offender. Guilty as charged, and I have no plans to rehabilitate. wink

The "stigma" I was referring to was about eating bass..... and do think it exists....not eating fish in general. Similarly, just because I do not eat many fish, does not mean I think other people should not....personally, really do not like the taste; to each their own. "The feeding starving families" is in response to almost every time there is a topic on size and bag limits.....this comes up. Eat as many fish as you want....just do it responsibly. In general, let big fish go back no matter the species and try to harvest the smaller ones no matter the species......it is simply the best way to ensure you have more fish to eat in the future wink

the 14 inch LM that i caught yesterday am was sure tastey pan fried last nite. never a livewell for our catches, keepers always go in a cooler with ice, as stated above especially with warmer temps. kids luv em too!

Largemouth bass are for sure in my top 5 fish to eat. I will not eat smallies (too slow of a growth rate), forget about rock bass, and I don't really fall into white/striped/etc. I always cook my largemouth in a white wine base, and it is effing awesome!

As many have already said, putting a teaspoon of salt in the cold "soak" for fillets is key to removing red blood cells. Just plain cold water will eventually remove most blood from fillets, but the addition of a little salt will "lyse" the cells, while plain cold water will normally only serve to congeal the red blood cells and form clots.

A good tip for really good fish prep...keep your fish really cold from the time of catch to fillet prep. If it's mid-summer, with very warm water in the live well, have a cooler at the ready with plenty of ice, immediately dispatch the critters and simply toss your fish on ice right away. Fish flesh is like milk. If it changes in temperature by only a few degrees once the fish expires it will immediately begin to spoil...unless it is cooled down quickly.

While filleting your catch gently wash the fillets with cold water, but not too much or you'll remove ALL the fish flavor, then drop them in a large bowl of lightly salted water, with lots of ice cubes. Leave them in the ice water until your ready to cook. The fillets will be clean, blood free, and very firm - perfectly prepared for cooking.

Any fish can be prepared for cooking this way, but the quick cool down is vital to a firm, flaky, flavorful product.

I've eaten fish of nearly every species, and when done properly there's simply nothing that compares to fresh walleye, salmon, trout, or crappie.

I'm not aware that there is any stigma placed on someone who keeps a meal of fish, whether it be a limit of small bass, or legal walleyes. Everyone of my family loves fresh fish, so if there is a stigma, then I guess I'm a habitual criminal offender. Guilty as charged, and I have no plans to rehabilitate. wink

Words of wisdom,,, I've always used the analogy, if you put a Porter

House steak on a stringer and drug it around behind the boat in 90 plus

weather, you probably wouldn't eat it either. PS- I'd have to ad Perch

and Sunnies to your list. grin

I like to eat the occasional bass (smallmouth or largemouth). I don't keep anything bigger than 14 inches long (and I usually try to get them about 10-12 inches).

A couple of years ago (and I posted about it then), I had a small gathering of friends over for a fish fry. I served them largemouth bass, walleye, bluegill, northern pike, and catfish (from the grocery store). Without telling them which fish was which...

The rankings were:

1. Bluegill

2. Largemouth bass

3. Walleye

4. Northern pike

5. Catfish

That doesn't surprise me, but how were they cooked? Just asking because all can be phenominal, but diff fish can definitely thrive if cooked in a manner intended for that species

(ie: walleye = almond crust, bass = white wine, crappie = breaded)

I'm simply going to have to disagree on two of your four there!

Now these might be fightin' words in the Midwest, but I'll put it out there. Walleye and crappie are overrated eaters.

My freezer has quite a few species in it, and in particular the fillets I guard most carefully and am least likely to dole out to friends in any quantity are:

1) Pacific cod out of Kodiak(beats out walleye any day for flaky white meat).

2) Shark (keep the small ones, you won't regret it!)

3) Red snapper (blackened red snapper is possibly my favorite fish dish ever)

4) Lingcod.. just plain delicious

I'm picky about my salmon and don't touch that great lakes stuff, it just isn't the same.

Last night I served up a mix of bass and crappies. made sure the fillets were the same sizes. Simple shore lunch batter in a fry pan. The crappies were in the 10-12" range and the bass in the 12-14" range. Invited the inlaws over. Didn't tell anyone what I was doing. Lots of yums and this fish is great as they gobbled it up and actually took the few leftovers home. The fish were caught sunday so nice and fresh.

laugh Ha ha ha!!! No argument there, mainbutter! If I could catch those in the river in my backyard, here in Northern Minnesota, I'd likely have a few in the freezer as well!

Course, I couldn't let the boys swim back there though! shocked

Gotta add fresh Halibut to the mix, and Swordfish!

I must be spoiled by being able to eat walleye whenever I want. I have had small mouth out of cold water when we had no choice because we didn't catch enough walleye for shorelunch. I tried it and would never eat it again. The people with me who do not eat fish as regular thought it was great. I also can tell if fish is freezer burnt by the smell of it cooking and again others thought it was great.

Other good fish;

Crappie - probably in tie with walleye

Halibut

Real cod - fresh on the coast

Perch

Trout

Salmon - not a huge fan of

Have tried northern, burbot and would not eat them unless I needed to to survive.

And before you say I don't know how to prepare them you are wrong, have been cooking fish my whole life and have done it several different ways.

* I like and will eat pickled northern if it is done right. A neighbor lady used to make the best pickled northern but have never been able to replicate it after she passed.

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiish! Bass is a rought fish. If you like bass try suckers, dogfish, carp. Bass are also known as grass carp!

I must be spoiled by being able to eat walleye whenever I want. I have had small mouth out of cold water when we had no choice because we didn't catch enough walleye for shorelunch. I tried it and would never eat it again. The people with me who do not eat fish as regular thought it was great. I also can tell if fish is freezer burnt by the smell of it cooking and again others thought it was great.

Other good fish;

Crappie - probably in tie with walleye

Halibut

Real cod - fresh on the coast

Perch

Trout

Salmon - not a huge fan of

Have tried northern, burbot and would not eat them unless I needed to to survive.

And before you say I don't know how to prepare them you are wrong, have been cooking fish my whole life and have done it several different ways.

* I like and will eat pickled northern if it is done right. A neighbor lady used to make the best pickled northern but have never been able to replicate it after she passed.

Interesting post....I honestly can't tell the difference between northern and walleye (if the bones are properly removed, of course). But then again, I can't tell the difference between Miller Light and Bud Light, so my tastebuds aren't that developed. smile

Interesting post....I honestly can't tell the difference between northern and walleye (if the bones are properly removed, of course). But then again, I can't tell the difference between Miller Light and Bud Light, so my tastebuds aren't that developed. smile

Nice segway to my pat comment about walleyes: They're the Mich Golden Light of the fish world. People like em cuz they have no taste.

Largemouth are fine and smallies are better. I can tell the difference between northern and walleye and like it. smile

All time favorite: Whitefish followed closely by properly cooked Lake Trout.

If you are comparing Walleye and northerns with lake trout I have to ask , how many beers have you had??

No beer at the time of the posting. grin

Really, I've eaten enough walleye this year that my first meal of pike was a welcome change. No bass yet.

Lake trout is great as long as it's not fried. Grilled over charcoal with olive oil, lemon pepper and a few yellow and red peppers will do just fine, thanks.

Just because a fish has flavor doesn't make it bad! laugh The blandest fish I've had this year were our 3 days worth of Canadian shore lunches that were prepared 3 different ways. The cooking was awesome but the fish was still flat. The walleyes from Red Lake and Ely had more flavor.

BTW, I don't like drinking the same beer over and over and over again either. Live a little!

Curious you mentioned that the eyes from Red tasted better...I'd heard that over the years, but until we bought a cabin up there 3 years ago I never really bought into it. Now, I do. They just taste better than many other walleyes I've had...although I don't agree that wayyeles have no taste, I find them all very tasty, just a little better out of Red for some reason.

Funny...I live by superior and really just don't like lakers! And i've tried good ones from lakes in the BWCA. Different strokes I guess:)

Oh, and bass are still nasty:)