• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2-man ladder stand 17-18 feet

Scoot

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 2-man ladder stand that is 17-18 feet high (to the rail). I can find reasonably priced ladder stands that are 15 feet high and I can find 17-18 foot ladder stands that are $250, but I can't find one that is high enough (17-18) that is cheaper than $150.

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Lower your standards.

2-man, 17-18', under $150.... sometimes you just cant have it all. It's a lot to ask for.

I'd like a luxury car, low miles, newer than 2007, good tires, under 10K.

But it probably wont happen that way.

sorry.

Why is that extra 2 ft so necessary?

Scoot, can you find an extra set of ladder for the $150 model? I know some brands you might be able to get "replacement" sections. Then just slap it in there. But make sure it fits and has correct bracing, of course. Might have to rig it a bit... just a thought.

Scoot, Mynards always has some nice cheap ladder stands, Big River i believe? Ive bought the 2 man for less than $100 (post season tho), then just buy a 4 ft extension and your set to go! I get all my ladder stands there for cheap and they have the rails around so they are safe as well. Id just make sure you replace the "pins" in the ladders with bolts and lock nuts, otherwise they will come apart or squeak.

Good luck

Lower your standards.

2-man, 17-18', under $150.... sometimes you just cant have it all. It's a lot to ask for.

I'd like a luxury car, low miles, newer than 2007, good tires, under 10K.

But it probably wont happen that way.

Nope- I'll find one that fits the specs I am looking for. If I'm patient and have helpful suggestions from people here as to where to find one, I will...

I've thought about adding a section of ladder stand, but the manufacturers don't recommend it. I'm sure I could do it and it'd be just fine, but I'd prefer to get ones that were made for the height I'll put them at. If I can't accomplish that, I'll do just as you suggest.

Over lunch today I found one that was $179.99. That's the cheapest one I've seen so far. If need be, I could use that.

Regarding the extra two feet- there's no magic number as to what the "right height" is. However, for much of the hunting I do, having a platform at about 12 feet is too low for my liking. I certainly don't care to be at 25 feet and I doubt I've ever put a stand at 20. I'd like to be a little higher- it's just that simple.

The 2 man Rivers Edge are 130, I just looked them up, I cant see them being unsafe if you put on an additional 4' ladder piece. We have done that to many of our stands and as long as you ratchet them good, tie the straps pulling the ladder towards the tree, and have the support bar securely in place, I honestly cant see how your gonna get it any better or safer for that price? They wont go anywhere unless the tree falls!!!

The 2 man Rivers Edge are 130...

Slim, that's exactly what I was hoping to do. However, I have been in contact with River's Edge (this morning) and they told me they won't sell me a ladder section for that purpose. I tried to convince her, but she said they weren't made for that purpose and wouldn't be safe. So, she said they won't sell me an extra section.

Never tell them the truth.

LOL. I try to take the opposite approach, but I have to admit I'm frequently tempted... smile

Huh....? Ya, you gotta be a better liar! grin

I have found where weve bought the ladder sections separate in like a 4 pack.... weird. I can see where they could "not recommend" it but not refuse a sale.... goofy!

These stands are 14-6 to the seat. If your only looking for a 24" increase, maybe just bring a ladder section to a welder?! Im sure they could fabricate a 2' ladder section in minutes for little to nothin. And probably with a heavier gauge of steel if it would make you feel better.

Something sounds like it'll work out for you!

How about all you guys can buy a whole extra stand and split up the ladder sections?

How about all you guys can buy a whole extra stand and split up the ladder sections?

I've thought about this, I have three stands now and I was going to customize a ladder for one and use the extra sections on the other two stands, then I got lazy.

To be honest Scoot, I don't think the 2-3 feet is going to make or break you, with a double and two hunters you will need to be extra stealthy with your movement no matter what.

To be honest Scoot, I don't think the 2-3 feet is going to make or break you, with a double and two hunters you will need to be extra stealthy with your movement no matter what.

I completely agree- it's not like at 16' I'd get busted most of the time and at 18' feet they'd never, ever have a clue I was there. However, with the 16' stands (that's 16' to the rail, not the platform BTW) I always have it in the back of my head, "I wish I was just a little bit higher". Given that, I want to get my stand up a couple more feet...

I like to be higher too. I bought three, and added an extra section to two of them, and they work fine. I also lag the stand to the tree, through a piece of 2x8, after it's set up. I enjoy the larger and higher stands.

When we talked Scoot, I checked and the ladder stands I have one can add an extra section so you can get up a bit higher.

They are yours and I will have them to the ranch by the 1st week of Sept. I will put the stand on the other side of the wood pile by the entry door to the house.

Scoot, I seen in Sportmans Warehouse catalog yesterday that they had a 2 person 17' ladder for 130 bucks??? thought of you...

I dont know if it's been mentioned yet, but take a look at the sportsmans guide. I got a catalog a couple days ago, and they really seemed to have a good cheap selection of 18-20" ladder stands, many of them doubles.

Thanks guys! However, given what Tom said in his post, I think I'd be wise to be patient and take him up on his generous offer. I do appreciate you keeping an eye out for me though!!!