• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Out chasing bluegills!

To escape the heat last night we decided to go hit the lake and to do a little swimming... What better way to kill a hot afternoon than to swim and fish, right?

I haven't been out too much lately, but we made up for it last night, it was a great trip with numerous bluegills in the 8-10" range.

The two go to jigs were the gypsy jig from Northland Tackle (Laurie's go to jig last night) and I was using a Little Nipper from Lindy... Both deadly jigs underneath a float in this scenario. I ended up losing my only Little Nipper to a darn northern, so I tied on a Northland Forage jig in red. My favorite color of course, and that turned out to be a deadly lure too smile

This is a lake I've fished extensively this past winter and did well on the big 'gils. We fished a couple of mid lake humps with a lot of emergent vegetation, but dropped off into deep water. We caught fish in 8-13' among the scattered cabbage and coontail before it dropped off into the deeper water.

Laurie with a dandy on the gypsy jig!

full-11084-21918-img_2861(683x1024).jpg

Me with a fat 10" 'gil pulled in with the Little Nipper

full-11084-21919-img_2917(1024x683).jpg

Laurie with another gypsy jig donkey pushing 10"!

full-11084-21920-img_2884(1024x683).jpg

Forage spoon 'Gil

full-11084-21922-img_2909(1024x683).jpg

The Little Nipper, a great jig to use with or without bait!!

full-11084-21923-img_2836(1024x683).jpg

Aweomse report Jim! grin I loved the pretty sparkly pink purple glitter gypsy jig i used last night! LOL smile This weekend you may have to do a little report on the Mississipi River?? wink

I would have to agree Heartman... Those have become my fish of choice the last couple of years. Especially the bigger ones!

I release 99% of the 'gils I catch too. If I keep them, I keep the ones around 8"

And yes LengyPrincess... We need to slam something on the river this weekend smile

Great report and Photos! Took my son and his cousin out last night for a few hours. They are both 7. The crappies weren't biting but holy cow the sunnies were fired up! Just tossing similar jigs they kept me busy unhooking. They kept 20 in the 8-9" range that I got to clean for a delicious fish fry last night:)