• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St;urgeon

You people that have been lucky enough to every get a Sturgeon, what was the way you prepared it???? Fryed it, smoked it, or what???? A friend of mine has some and he smoked it. It was fishy tasting, and quite greasy. I didn't really care for it at all. Maybe canning would be better.

Every sturg I have caught is still swimming. I think you will find that with many guys.

Not slamming you about keeping a sturg just sayin as you may not get many replies with a reciepe.

Never had it but I have been told by some that smoked sturg is about the best fish smoked.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

You people that have been lucky enough to every get a Sturgeon, what was the way you prepared it???? Fryed it, smoked it, or what???? A friend of mine has some and he smoked it. It was fishy tasting, and quite greasy. I didn't really care for it at all. Maybe canning would be better.

Released all mine but hear they're good smoked.

I guess from your testimony any, curiosity of mine to take one for the smoker is gone.

Over a hundred sturgeon caught and released for me in the last 2 years. Have yet to try to eat one.

Sorry, but if you are shore lunching a sturgeon that is a complete waste of a >100 year old fish. Go catch some crappie.

I've heard they are good smoked but I'd rather see them swim off.

The answers your likely going to get:

1. Everything taste good smoked. Even rough fish.

2. Let it go let it go why you keeping it? Who cares?

Not sure if your gonna want to eat a really big one, but prepare it just like any other fish. Taste is in the eye of the beholder. Some people wont eat anything except a walleye cause everything else considered unlikeable in their minds.

Here's a receipe I like that you can apply to just about any fish:

Grilled fish w/lime cilantro sauce

Ingredients:

2 lbs of (your choice of fish meat)

1 tsp salt

1 tbs olive oil

2 tbs spicy coriander seasoning

Lime cilantro butter sauce

Preparation:

Place the fish meat and the salt in a bowl and cover with water, let sit for about 10 minutes and rinse.

Rub the olive oil and spicy coriander seasoning all over the fish and let marinate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.

Pre-heat oven to 400 F (skip if only grilling)

Heat the grill and place the sturgeon on the grill, grill for about 5 minutes per side.

Transfer to oven safe dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

Serve immediately with lime cilantro butter sauce.

I view the Sturgeon as a C & R fish. There is not much opportunity in MN to catch a fishing that give the fight of a sturgeon and it takes so long to produce a big one. Last year we had several in the 60 to 66 inch class. All of to fish brought in to my boat are still swimming. I'm just grateful that the resource is available and I'm going to do my part to protect it.

No offense to you because the fish is legal to catch and keep. Smoking is the only way I have ever heard that sturgeon is prepared.

I like to dip mine in scrambled loon eggs before frying them... smile JK buddy

I've had them smoked before... I thought it was awesome!

I ate it once. I was at a restaurant in Oregon that was serving fresh caught sturgeon. It was lightly broiled, then seared and served with drawn butter. Honestly, the best freshwater fish that I've ever eaten. I would say it had a flavor similar to halibut.

The sturgeon in Oregon is a different critter than the MN one. I've caught and ate Columbia River white sturgeon and they were fantastic the 3 ways I prepared it (fried, grilled, and baked). I've had the MN Lake Sturgeon smoked and I thought it was very good. I've heard they are not all that tasty other ways.

They're awesome eating...but be sure the fish is close to 60+ inches for prime flavor.

In all seriousness, I'd bet one who likes any smoked fish would like smoked sturgeon.