• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

chainsaw shopping

iffwalleyes

Question

I've been looking at chainsaws for a couple months and am no closer to buying one. I'll probably cut 3-4 cords a year and the saw will sit. I'd rather invest than rent. I've looked at Huskvarna, Jonsred and Stihl in the $250 range and a Poulan Wild Thing for $130. Does the price increase (related to hp and name) mean I'll get that much better a saw, given that maintenance variables will be the same (fresh gas, clean carb, etc.)?

20 answers to this question

Ron,
Sorry I didn't get hold of you over the weekend.......didn't get any free time Saturday and didn't want to bother you on Easter. What's your schedule like Tues-Fri this week ?
I'll try to get up to SC to get the tires if they're still available.

As far as a chainsaw.....STIHL.
It might cost a little more, but it's a worthwhile investment. I've had mine for 20 years and it's never failed to start. I don't think I've ever even changed the plug.
It always starts and runs great. I always treat the gas with a little sta-bil (or sea-foam in the summer)as others have mentioned and keep the chains sharp.
I've had a LOT of people try to buy that saw from me over the years.
You can e-mail me with your schedule this week rather than respond here.

Twitter

Homelite was actually a John Deere product, but not any longer.

John Deere pulled away from them because of quality control issues.

I'm shopping for a Chain Saw too and I'll most likely go with the John Deere labeled product--you can contact any JD dealer in your area for great service.

------------------
Chells

JD are now made by Echo which isn't to bad of brand. JD hasn't made their own saws or trimmers for years. But they are a decent machine too.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Ron
I am co-owner of Red Wing Tree Service, The best saw your going to get is Stihl, we run our saws HARD and we have a couple saws that are 10yrs old and still used every day.

For cutting fire wood I would go with a 025 or a 026 Pro. Not a big saw but lots of power, very low maintenance.

I run an 026 and 044 mag -- the 026 is the highest power-to-weight ratio saw on the market and awesome. The 44 mag is a bit heavier but sports 5+ hp and is an absolute powerhouse -- 2' oaks are quick work. Either saw is reliable, durable, and will last a long time if you take care of it.

If you do decide to go big, make sure you have a buffed left forearm!

My dad always used a Jonsered. We used to cut a lot of wood years ago. It has help up well. I have a Stihl 029 and an 041. The 041 is 18 years old and has never had any trouble. The 029 is about 10 years old and also still works great.

we use stihl at work also i dont really care for them because they dog out in bigger wood. i personally like the jonserud and their about the top saw on the market.

I've been looking at chainsaws for a couple months and am no closer to buying one. I'll probably cut 3-4 cords a year and the saw will sit. I'd rather invest than rent. I've looked at Huskvarna, Jonsred and Stihl in the $250 range and a Poulan Wild Thing for $130. Does the price increase (related to hp and name) mean I'll get that much better a saw, given that maintenance variables will be the same (fresh gas, clean carb, etc.)?

We have used stihls at work ten years, very good machines, on the spendy side though. My dad has had a jonsrud for years, not especially impressed, although does work. My wifes father has a craftsman, and i actually like that saw quite a bit. I bought a poulan at a kmart that was closing for dirt cheap 45$ with case, extra chain, oil. It works well for what i use it for, starts and runs good. I would check out a craftman though if i was to get another one. Just one persons opinion. Good Luck!

--I think it may be like the ford-chevy debate. A saw made correctly should work well for many years w/good care.

[This message has been edited by maxx rpm (edited 04-21-2003).]

I can't comment on brands other than Stihl. I have an 036 since 1990 or so and it keeps working great. It is a little big for smaller cutting so I picked up an 021 I believe for smaller jobs. I use the 036 with a lumber maker also and rip logs for lumber. It's been a workhorse and has never failed me. I would recommend Stihl to anyone but I haven't used the others you mentioned.

jonsrud and husky's i think are made by the same company.i personally would go with either one.i own a husky my dad owns one every good saw. just my thought. just be safe

'

we use stihl cutoff saws at work cutting block and concrete never had a problem , hard starters though , if i bought a new one id buy a stihl , bigger is better , rite now ive got 2 older mcculloch not much for safety features but really loud and lots of power rururu more power,dads got anew stihl he loves it . knot2bad

Stihl, hands down. Had the same one for over 15 years,never done a thing to it and it starts on the fifth pull every time

OK, went with the Stihl 250. After a couple hours of cutting, it's as much saw as I need. Thanks everyone for the help.

IFallsRon

That will be a perfict saw.
Thats right they changed the numbers on the saws this year. A 025 is now a 250, why they did that is beyond me.

Just when a person really gets to know the system that have to change. Well good luck with it they are a great little saw.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

IFallsRon,

When I was looking for a saw I talked to several loggers I knew and asked them what they thought as they work them harder than anyone. Also have a friend whose shop caters to loggers. It can be a ford verses chevy thing but they all said get either a husky or a johnsrud. Stihl has lost ground around here with the pros. Also get a commercial quality saw if you want it to hold resale value. Most companies make cheaper series of saws for the weekenders and another series for real work. The commercial ones have good resale value and are designed to have a longer life. The other ones are designed to last long enough for the weekender to cut a tree or two a year and then get tossed when they break. Just talk to professionals (loggers, tree removal guys) who aren't trying to sell you a saw and they will steer you in the right direction. They may even let you play with their toys to see how you like them smile.gif. I got a husky 246 which really is a commercial trim saw but with the chain they put on it it dumps oak trees plenty fast enough for me. Its lighter and has a compression release system for easier starting (highly recommended). Have fun shopping!

lakevet

keep'er lubed and the chain sharp!!!

[This message has been edited by lakevet (edited 04-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by lakevet (edited 04-27-2003).]