• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Alexander

My two young kids and I are heading up to Lake Alexander the second week of July to stay for the week. I have been up there the last few years but have had a hard time finding good panfish action for the kids that is not close to a dock. Due to the fact that both kids are young, 6 and 3 years old, their casting isn't exactly accurate yet. I was wondering if anybody would be willing to give me a good spot that my kids could have fun casting for panfish and I don't have to worry about them catching docks constantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you fish the edges or top of the rock pile that runs between Ogema and Anderson's point on the south basin you will catch many rock bass, sunfish and smallies. It tops out about 13-17' (probably 20' now!), but the fish can be anywhere on or around it, depending on angle of the sun, cloud cover etc... Bring lots of leeches as the action can be fast and muskies frequent the area as well looking to snag a hooked bass if they can. The boulders are huge down there and many anchors have been lost to this reef, but boy does it hold the fish. Good luck!

Another option would to be head to northwest corner of Round lake. It isn't too far from Lake Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

HeavyD,

I just wanted to thank you again for the tip. My kids had an absolute blast catching fish off of the sunken island!! No wall hangers, but a lot of action. It is people like you that make this site successful.

Glad to help. I got my kids out on the hump last weekend as well and the fish were on fire. I also blasted the eyes on early Sunday morning fishing the weed edges (18') along the north shore/south basin. Pulled up, saw fart bubbles (RIP Capt. Phil Harris), threw out a leech under a bobber and had 6 in the box in short order. All in all caught 10 eyes between 8 and 22 inches and finished with an 18 inch smallie at 7:15 and then nothing for another hour before heading in. I love this lake!

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has been out on Alex latley. I was thinking about going out tomorrow morning for some eyes before work. Was wondering if its worth my time or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out yesterday fishing for smallies and saw a 9 or 10 pound walleye floating across the lake with its air sack blown out sticking out of its mouth. Im guessing someone caught it deep and let it go sucks it was a nice fish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...