• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

current rainy conditions?

Anyone been out on the river. Would it be worth a day trip this weekend??? Open to suggest ions

Water is up and flowing pretty good thru the river these days.

Would it be worth it ?? Sure why not !!

I'd bet you could find some pretty good Smallie action anyhow.

fiskyknut

Where do you usually find the smallies out there? Gonna be heading up to the river next week for some sturgeon and eyes, wouldn't mind adding some smallies to the mix.

For smallies, cut the river in half closer you go to International Falls the more smallies there. Smallies are all up and down the River. They are close to the shores, on weed points,small sand bars,near the little deeper water next to it. At the large rocks close to shore. The river has lots of them. At Birchdale back and forth on the weedlines no problem. get to the state park where the large rocks are near the shoreline they are there. shallow water you have to sneak up on them. i use simple beetle spins but they hit on lots of stuff.The big ones like to hit straighten out your hook as it heads back to the middle of the river again. For Muskies and Northerns i seen 25 pounders jump out of the water lots of times there. From the primary breaklines. Why i don't know. Spotted Muskie jump out of the waters there too. Only place where i seen Muskie & Northern live together seen lots of 25 pounders at Rainey River. This time of the year there jumping.

Thanks for the tips. We'll be staying at the Dutchman and hopefully the sturg keep us busy but it's always nice to have a backup plan!

Thanks fisky..we ended up hitting the river last Saturday (hot..sunny). Wen went just north of Itnl Falls, then headed north to the bogger hole..5 walleyes, 1smallie, snapped off twice by submarines smile. The sturgeon were jumping all over with the closest 20ft from the boat...

That's what I like to hear! We've got some tried and true spots closer to Baudette that we'll be hitting, but what kinda depth did the sturg bite at? And we're you fishing for em or were they accidental?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry. i just remembered i didn't go last year! it was 2 years ago. discharge was usually at like 4-5000. that year it was 20 something the week we went. could hardly keep a 1/2 oz jig underneath you. had to move to a 3/4 or get closer to shore.