• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Should I bolt the motor on the boat?

Cyberfish

Question

Last year i almost lost my 20 horse outboard when it came off the transom when I did a sharp turn to avoid a log. This year I am putting this motor on a different boat, should I drill holes in the boat and bolt my motor on, or should I just make sure I have it clamped on tight?

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

heh, dont have an answer but it reminds me of about 15 years ago I did the same, problem was, is I had one of them sherlock locks across the clamps, and even funnier, the key for it was at the cabin.
I had a fun and funny looking drive back

Just make sure the clamps are tight and then either lock it with a plain master lock or wire it so the clamps don't come loose from vibration.

You can just drill 2 holes for the upper 2 bolts, so you don't have to mess with section of transom that sits in water all the time.

I personally never had a problem when I tight clamps, try to tight them very hard.

I would not bolt a motor that size. No way, no how. Except if it almost came off. I would have the cordless out on the dock drilling away! Because i would be driving with one hand on the tiller and the other hand holding the clamps. If you will wonder about the clamps every time you go out, i would bolt her down. Just my opinion.