• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes in Lutsen/Grand Marais Area

Any tips on where/how/when to fish walleyes in the Lusen/Grand Marais area?

I will be in the area the first week of July. I have tried to connect with the walleyes this same week for the last two years with very limited success.

I have fished Two Island, Cascade and Crescent.

Wondering if the bite is more of a morning or evening thing?

Leeches or minnows?

Maybe a better lake?

Any help would be appreciated!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Its depends on the weather. I have hammered them on crescent on cloudy days with a nice chop. I always fish the wind blown side of the lake when this happens. Two Island has not been good to me for walleyes. Cascade is all hit or miss but mostly miss. Boulder next to crescent has been good for me. I have a 14 foot boat with a 8 horse so we carry it in. East twin lake is a good walleye lake its a drive to get to, but normally always get some walleyes they tend to run smaller in east twin. Tom lake and devilfish is are good lakes as well. about a month ago my dad and i did really well on devilstrack fishing wind blown points with slip bobbers and leechs. The shallow bite is morning or evenings day bite is deeper.

Walleyes have been pretty active the past week on all those lakes. It was a minnow bite on crescent, but leeches everywhere else.

• 4 weeks later...

Any recent updates? Son and I are going up camping and fishing and have a few area lakes in mind; Cresent, Four Mile, Wilson and any other that may hold some promise if you have suggestions. More than likely staying at Cresent campground or Baker.

Thanks in advance.

The lower light periods rend to be good on all of those laakes with sundown being one of my favorite times to fish them. Jig and a leech or live bait rig.

Tunrevir~

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

My dad did well on cresent lake last weekend. My dad and uncle caught 11 keepers tons of smallies and little walleyes mixed in the keepers they were fishing the windy side of the lake in 10-4 feet of water with leeches and slip bobbers. Most of the fish can in 8 to 6 feet my dad said.

I was up fishing fourmile last week and was getting walleyes on the various reef either pulling A simple lindy rig with A half A crawler.Also other people were getting them with A leech under A bobber.With wilson being so clear low light periods would be best. good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Returned from 4 days of fishing in the area and we had a blast. Good weather and lots of fish. I can't believe the # of small smallmouth bass in these lakes.

Fished Crescent and my son saw the Muskie reg at the access and wanted to catch 1, here is what he caught 5 min in.............he also had another take his husky jerk and smallie he was reeling in which broke the braided line..he was bummed about that one that got away. DSC00649.jpg

Wow, 5 minutes in, that's great. looks like you had a beautifull day up there in the northland. glad he got one, that will be talked about often i bet. good luck.

On a good day you can catch 4 or 5 of those "mini-skies". They can show up anywhere, but the shallow sheltered little bays are usually a good bet. It's actually rare to NOT get a follow or 2 on this lake.