• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-13 off season talk

Scott K

I love Iggy's game, when he's aggressive on offense he's solid and he's one of the best defenders in the league, but his price is pretty high.

Love's comments sure got blown out of proportion the last couple days...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• Scott M

• ozzie

• schmitty3

I am not worried about what Love said, in fact, I hope it lights a fire under Kahns butt to get something going now.

Iggy is spendy, but this is MN, Iggy is one of the top Wings out there, and by far the top that is available, if we want to be good, we have to pay. Plus, it isnt my money, and I want to see a couple playoff series this season. So might as well get Glens check book out and start writing!

There is a pretty interesting video out there with the owner of the Trail Blazers and he made a comment about Batum, that is looking good for the Wolves.

Some high lights.

Quote:
"Q: We have heard that no matter what you will match any offer Batum receives, is that accurate?

A: Look, we've all heard things. I've had discussions with his agent, I had a conversation with David Kahn...that will remain private. But like i said, what you will see at the end of this is that I beleive we did what was in the best interest of the organization today and in the future."

It looks like the Wolves signed Alexey Schved, a Russian guard.

Quote:
The Timberwolves have reportedly reached an agreement with PG Alexey Shved.

He most recently played for CSKA in Russia and was being courted by the Cavaliers and Grizzlies. David Kahn still loves point guards, but it's hard to see Shved getting much run as long as Ricky Rubio is healthy.

I think this is a sign that

A- Rubio wont be healthy until later in the season

B- That either Luke, or JJ will be part of a sign and trade for Batum, or some other deal.

Quote:
In a story that won't go away, Nicolas Batum apparently has no interest in returning to the Blazers and has said it's time to "move on."

"I feel like I have to move on," Batum said. "I need a new situation and a new start…I feel like it’s the best situation for me in Minnesota." He also said he has nothing against the city of Portland or its fans, but he simply would rather play in Minnesota. He also said in the interview that he is hopeful the Wolves and Blazers will work out a sign-and-trade, but as of now, all that we've heard out of Portland is that they have every intention of matching any offer he gets and keeping him in Portland. But now that Batum has laid down the gauntlet and said flat-out that he doesn't want that to happen, it will be interesting to see what the Blazers do next.

Quote:
He was about 3,800 miles away, but Nicolas Batum’s voice was loud and clear. He wants to play with the Minnesota Timberwolves next season.

Batum, the Blazers’ restricted free agent, made his preference clear Tuesday afternoon in a telephone interview from Madrid, where he was with the French National team as it prepared for a friendly match later Tuesday against Spain, one of the top challengers to the defending U.S. men’s Olympic gold medal team at the upcoming Summer Games in London. While Portland has said it will match any offer sheet for Batum, he hopes they will let him go to play for the Wolves, who have a commitment for a four-year deal worth $45 million on the table when the July Moratorium ends Wednesday.

“I’m a restricted free agent,” Batum said. “I know the situation. Anywhere I sign, the Blazers are going to match. But my first choice was, and is, Minnesota. That’s where I want to play and that’s where I want to put my family. I’ve got nothing against the fans (in Portland) and nothing against the city. But this is a basketball decision and basketball wise, I want to be there. Last year, they impressed everybody, and that’s what I respect. To have a great young point guard like (Ricky) Rubio, and a great coach like (Rick) Adelman, I really liked that project. And I think they think I’m the missing piece at small forward. That’s what they told me.”

Batum met last week with Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, team president David Kahn and Adelman, and was impressed by the direction in which the franchise is going. But the 23-year-old Batum has been a priority to retain by the Blazers through several different basketball administrations, intrigued by his ability to score either as a driver or shooter. Portland acquired Batum in a Draft night deal in 2008 from the Rockets. Last season he averaged 13.9 points and 4.6 rebounds for the Blazers, and his Player Efficiency Rating of 17.32 ranked eighth among small forwards in the league, behind only LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Paul Pierce, Danny Granger, Rudy Gay and Andre Iguodala.

A source said that Batum did not want to sign an offer sheet because he was worried the Blazers would match. And, indeed, according to the Oregonian newspaper, that’s exactly what the team’s new general manager, Neil Olshey, told Batum and his representatives in a meeting last week. However, the Timberwolves have enough space to sign him outright to a sheet. They can clear $10.8 million of additional room buying out center Brad Miller (who has already announced his retirement) and guard Martell Webster, and also could create additional room by using the amnesty clause on center Darko Milicic, who is under contract next season at $5.22 million and has two years and $10.8 million left on his contract.

Batum grew frustrated by the slower pace that former Blazers coach Nate McMillan favored, and thinks he has a chance to play at a more up-tempo style in Minnesota.

“When I talked with Adelman last week, I felt like he wants me, will play me the way I ask to play,” Batum said. “Last year was tough for all of us and I think I need a new start. I think I need something else. Again, it’s nothing against the city or the fans (in Portland).”

Batum said that he thinks Portland and Minnesota will ultimately work something out.

“I know that they’re working on a sign and trade, and I’m very hopeful that both of them understand my situation, do the best both for me and for them,” he said.

Olshey, Batum said, told him last week that he could be a big part of Portland’s team going forward.

“But like I said, I feel like I have to move on,” Batum said. “I need a new situation and a new start…I feel like it’s the best situation for me in Minnesota. I think that’s a great group of guys. This team can be interesting next year. It could be fun.”

The Wolves’ need to add Batum is just as strong as his desire to be there. The team’s All-Star forward, Kevin Love, expressed his frustration with the team’s slow pace at adding quality players Monday in an interview with Yahoo! Sports.

The Timberwolves agreed to terms last week with former Blazers standout Brandon Roy, who ended his retirement due to knee problems after getting treatments similar to the platelet rich therapy program many professional athletes with knee issues are using. Roy will get $10.4 million over two years. The Wolves also traded for Rockets forward Chase Budinger before the Draft, giving Houston the 18th pick in the first round.

“My patience is not high,” Love told Yahoo! in Las Vegas, where the U.S. Olympic team is holding training camp. “Would yours be, especially when I’m a big proponent of greatness surrounding itself with greatness? All these (Team USA) guys seem to have great players around them…It’s tough seeing all these guys that are young and older who have all played in the playoffs. When they start talking about that, I have nothing to talk about. If I don’t make the playoffs next year, I don’t know what will happen.”

Love signed a four-year extension with Minnesota that kicks in next season and pays him $62 million. He wanted a five-year deal worth $80 million, the maximum, but the Wolves were not willing to go that far. But Love, who also praised Adelman and the Wolves’ coaching staff, said he wanted management to “make some stuff happen” and add other players.

“It’s no secret I was willing to commit to Minnesota for five years,” Love told Yahoo!. I’m very happy with my contract. I’d love to be in Minnesota. But like anybody else, I want to win.”

For his part, Batum said he has hopes that the French team can get into medal contention. France got a big boost last week when Spurs star guard Tony Parker was cleared to play after suffering a serious eye injury during a brawl at a New York nightclub last month. Parker has since filed a $20 million lawsuit against the club, where he was with friends when a fight broke out between the entourages of the R&B star Chris Brown and the rapper Drake. Batum, Spurs forward Boris Diaw and the Heat’s Ronny Turiaf will play for France, which starts Olympic play July 29.

“We’re missing (Joakim) Noah right now, but we’re a good team,” Batum said. “We know the USA will be a big favorite in this competition, but us, Argentina and Spain, you never know.”

Quote:
Kyle Korver is "likely headed to Minnesota" via trade, according to Hawks writer Michael Cunningham.

The Hawks were in the mix to get Korver from the Bulls, but it seems they no longer are.

Quote:
ESPN's Ric Bucher is reporting that the Trail Blazers and Timberwolves are discussing a deal that would send Portland free-agent forward Nicolas Batum to Minnesota for two future first-round draft picks and a veteran small forward acquired from a third team.

It's possible the third team's player is Kyle Korver from the Bulls, but that's just speculation on earlier rumors. The Blazers have been saying all week that they will match any offer Batum receives, but the addition of draft picks and a replacement player has apparently caught Portland's interest. If the deal can't be completed by Wednesday night, the Wolves are set to officially sign Batum to an offer sheet, which the Blazers would have three days to match.

Sounds like Darko is getting amnesty'd...this Batum deal is dead in the water.

Quote:
Nicolas Batum has signed a four-year, $46.5 million sheet from the Timberwolves.

The Blazers now have 72 hours to match the offer, and all indications are that they will be doing so. This also means the two teams weren't able to work out a trade for Batum that was being discussed.

We made it official, Portland now has 72 hours to match it.

Looks like they are clearing space.

Quote:
Wolves owner Glen Taylor said Thursday afternoon that the team won't submit Nicolas Batum's signed offer sheet to the league until the end of the day.

That gives David Kahn a few more hours to try to figure out a way to trade for Batum, as he knows the Blazers will match the offer sheet. Kahn will have to come up with a very strong offer to make it happen, but our guess is the offer sheet it submitted, the Blazers match and Batum is back in Portland on opening night, saying all the right things.

Quote:
The Timberwolves are expected to buyout G/F Martell Webster.

He played some key minutes last season and even started in 26 of the 47 games he played in, but averaged less than seven points per game. Maybe the Wolves are planning on starting Brandon Roy at SG, but it doesn't seem possible that he could handle starter's minutes.

Quote:
Brad Miller is likely to be bought out by the Timberwolves.

He's also likely set to retire from the NBA after starting his career in 1998, after being undrafted out of Purdue.

Quote:
The Timberwolves are expected to turn their attention to free agent SG Courtney Lee, as the Blazers don't appear to be willing to work out a sign-and-trade for Nicolas Batum.

A trade doesn't appear at all likely and the Blazers are expected to match the four-year offer sheet Batum signed. Wolves owner Glen Taylor said earlier the Wolves need to address the need for big men over wings, but the Wolves still need a starting shooting guard, if they're going to buyout Martell Webster as rumored.

Blazers want the whole farm for Batum, but there is still bad blood from finding out that Martell had a bad back when he was traded for...I guess I'd put that on the doctors but whatever, move on to plan b.

It doesnt end yet!

Quote:
Jerry Zgoda wrote Thursday evening that Friday would be the soonest there would be any movement on a potential sign-and-trade between the Blazers and Wolves for restricted free agent Nicolas Batum, which also means that no offer sheet will be presented to Batum by the Wolves, either.

This could suggest that the Wolves are making progress in finding a sign-and-trade deal for the Blazers that would work, moving assets to try to sweeten their deal, or it could mean nothing at all. The Blazers may be holding out for Derrick Williams to be included, too, though Wolves owner Glen Taylor has been adamant keeping him and trading picks instead.

Quote:
O.J. Mayo said on Monday that he will be signing with the Mavs.

I was kinda hoping he would still be on the market when we stop playing footsy with Portland, and get down to business. Now after Portland matches, I hope we get Iggy, or Lee. If we cant sign one of them, I will be disappointed.

Portland officially matched our offer on Batum today. Now we really need to get something done soon while a few people are still on the market.

I think now that the circus is over, players will start filling our roster in the next 24 hours.

To be honest, I am glad Portland matched, now we have 14 million in our pocket, along with a MLE, if we want to use it. Batum just wasnt worth that much, we can get Lee for less then half of that, and still have room for Roy, Hill, etc..

I am glad we did send in the offer sheet though, I just wish we would have done it right away. Now Portland is paying him 46.5 million over 4 years, and we arent.

I think now that the circus is over, players will start filling our roster in the next 24 hours.

To be honest, I am glad Portland matched, now we have 14 million in our pocket, along with a MLE, if we want to use it. Batum just wasnt worth that much, we can get Lee for less then half of that, and still have room for Roy, Hill, etc..

I am glad we did send in the offer sheet though, I just wish we would have done it right away. Now Portland is paying him 46.5 million over 4 years, and we arent.

Agree, Agree and Agree

I garuntee there is still bad blood between portland and the wolves for Webster and Kahn wanted to stick it to Portland for Webster. Looks like they accomplished that... Not a chance Batum is worth that kind of money. Screw Portland for pi$$ing and moaning anyways, its ok for them to offer Hibbert farse $$$$ but we cant go after Batum?? Get over yourselves Portland!

Wolves better AT LEAST get Courtney Lee now though or this off season has been another failure for Kahn IMO.... What has this guy done besides draft Rubio??? Seriously??? YOu could MAYBE give him credit for Addleman, but i dont think Kahn had anything to do with that signing.... Im NOT sold on David Kahn one bit, in fact I think we'd be better off with a different GM.

I think Kahn is a great numbers guy. When he got here, he had an old team with no future, a bunch of bad contracts, a bad coach, so we really had no bright future in sight.

Fast forward to today, we have no bad contracts at all, one of the best coaches, a good young team with very good potential. I think he has done wonders in those areas. Drafting on the other hand?? Other the Rubio, and getting Pek over here to play, I dont see he did much good on this part. If he hired an assistant to do the drafts, I think he would be a top GM.

Other then Kahn, at the time, who do you think would have came here, that would have done a better job? How many top GM's are out there, that would have even considered coming here with what Kahn was handed when he got here? I dont think anyone.

I agree that in a few years our future went from no hope to having a bright hopeful future....he isn't a perfect GM guru but he has cleaned up this organization and gave it a little more credibility.

Although he isnt doing very well in FA again this year, lots of talk, but no action. Batum-no

Mayo-no

Lee-no

Iggy-no

um, we still need a starting wing man, well, unless they are going to put Wes, or Williams in there, but Williams hasnt looked very promising in the summer league so far.

Quote:
The Timberwolves and Greg Stiemsma have agreed to terms on an offer sheet believed to be worth $3 million over one year.

The Celtics will have three days to match the offer, but they're expected to let Stiemsma walk since the offer exceeds the $2.0 million biannual exception, which is all they can afford under the salary cap. Assuming he lands in Minnesota, Stiemsma should get 15-25 minutes in a backup role behind Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Love. Fantasy owners take note -- he averaged 1.5 blocks last season, in under 14 minutes per game.

Lets not forget, Kahns signings and trades have been pretty much terrible too- Darko, Sessions, Webster, Anthony whats his name and Beasley (although we didnt give up much for beasey and it was worth a try, it didnt work).

It didnt take a genius to do what Kohn did by getting rid of our bad contracts. The team was garbage and the whole thing needed to be blown up. Wes Johnson and Flynn were completely wasted picks that were VERY high in the lottery. Other then Rubio, Kahn hasnt even been mediocre IMO.

I was on vaca this last week and saw the Wolfies signed Dante Cunningham...as an NBA rube, I at least heard of him (and picked him up in FFB when Z-bo was out and Cunningham got a couple starts). Not impressed with him or Stiesma but they are warm bodies. Portland tried to put Kahn over a barrel to get Batum, I guess at that price and knowing we need to lock down Rubio in the future, better them than us. That franchise looked loaded a few years back, now a set of creaky knees later, they are probably still in a bad way because of bad contracts.

Yes, the Wolves still need a wing in a bad way, but they can't mortgage the future to do it. The only way to be a winner for more than a year or two is to sign smart deals, draft well, and develop internally like other successful small markets. Minneapolis isn't attracting any top NBA talent any time soon.

Just cant get no Love!

Quote:
Kevin Love has barely been playing for Team USA in their warmups for the London Olympics, perhaps due to a lack of physicality and defense.

Love is 25 pounds lighter than he was in 2010, when he played a big role in America's World Championship, but he is adamant that he simply hasn't been given a chance to "get into a rhythm." "I didn't touch the ball [during Sunday's game vs. Argentina]," said Love, who played five minutes in the scrimmage. "There's nothing I can really do in that regard." He's a top-5 fantasy pick this year, regardless of how he performs in the Olympics.

Quote:
The Timberwolves are reportedly trying to sign F Andrei Kirilenko, who is no longer said to be interested in joining the Brooklyn Nets.

The Wolves would clear a lot of salary space in a rumored three-team deal that would send Wes Johnson to the Suns, clearing the way for them to throw some decent cash at Kirilenko - Jerry Zgoda said on Twitter he could be getting $18 million over two years. It's hard to say how much gas he has left in his tank, but a starting five of Ricky Rubio, Brandon Roy, Kirilenko, Kevin Love and Nikola Pekovic at least looks formidable on paper, depending on what year we're talking about.

Quote:
Dante Cunningham was officially traded from the Grizzlies to the Wolves on Tuesday.

Derrick Williams could see heavy minutes at SF this season, with Michael Beasley out of the way, which means Cunningham should step into a handful of backup PF minutes. As long as Kevin Love is healthy, however, he won't be worth owning in fantasy leagues.

Quote:
The Timberwolves have agreed to a three-year, $10 million contract with Alexey Shved.

Shved, whose departure from CSKA Moscow has already been announced, should officially sign with Minnesota in the coming days. "Minnesota's a good, young and ambitions team," Shved said. He also had offers from the Grizzlies and Cavs, but Rick Adelman reportedly played a major role in the point guard choosing the Timberwolves. "They say that Rick trusts young players and discovers talents, and I'm ready to work for my part." Shved is 6'6" and capable of playing either guard position.

Quote:
The Celtics have withdrawn their qualifying contract offer to Greg Stiemsma.

This should clear the way for Stiemsma to officially sign with the Timberwolves in the coming days. Celtics GM Danny Ainge said that the team had no way to match the offer on the "Steamer," and the center reached an agreement with the Timberwolves on a one-year, $3 million deal. "When it's practical to get everybody together, Greg will sign with Minnesota," his agent said. He's expected to serve as Nikola Pekovic's primary backup and is a bargain bin blocks specialist.

Nice pick up!

Quote:
The Minnesota Timberwolves are finalizing a two-year, $20 million deal with former Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein on Tuesday the Brooklyn Nets were making a hard push to land Kirilenko. A source also told Stein the Golden State Warriors were among the bidders for Kirilenko.

Kirilenko

The 31-year-old spent 10 seasons with the Jazz before joining CSKA Moscow in his native Russia.

Also on Wednesday, the Timberwolves agreed to a multi-team trade with the Phoenix Suns and New Orleans Hornets that will send center Robin Lopez and forward Hakim Warrick from Phoenix to New Orleans, while moving forward Wesley Johnson and a first-round draft pick from Minnesota to Phoenix, a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press.

The deal also sends guard Jerome Dyson and retiring center Brad Miller's $5.1 million contract from New Orleans to Minnesota, allowing the Timberwolves to clear space under the NBA's salary cap as they pursue free agents. Minnesota also will receive two second-round draft picks from New Orleans, while the Hornets will receive cash.

Minnesota general manager David Kahn declined to confirm the deal when asked about it on a conference call Wednesday, saying only that he is "not allowed to comment on anything that hasn't been consummated."