• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water level reports

Anyone have any current info about the McGregor area?

I talked to my neighbor this morning, he has a cabin on Long lake near Glen and had just gotten a call from a neighbor up there that told him his dock pallets had floated away overnight after heavy rains. Several boats were also loose and debris on the Lake. After also hearing about the flooding in Duluth and surrounding area I'm thinking much of the area got hit pretty hard. I was up last weekend and I was amazed at how high Big Sandy still was and if it went up more there will be more problems. Possibly no wakes on lots of lakes after this, who knows?

My sources say BSL is up 9 inches or SO from Sunday! and its expected to rise further.

What a nightmare!

I looked at Army Corp data and couldnt exactly tell what I was looking at(stage/pool/etc)

it appears its higher right TODAY then it's been all year? - is that correct?

what a mess. it's going to get alot worse once all of this new rain drains into river.

I went up this morning and here is what my dock on Minnewawa looked like. Its by far the deepest I've seen in the 50+ years we have had the property. We had to raise it about 13 inches just to get the bottom of the frame up to the water level. Its a real mess to even get up there too with all the road closings. Unless you know the "backroads" and are willing to cross some moving water, the only way to get there is 47 to Aitkin and east on 210 to McGregor. Even 210 is under water in some places but is passable. Many of the dirt roads are submerged and sheriffs are not letting anyone through. Lots of problems yet to come I fear......

full-8254-21563-cabinflood002.jpg

Brutal! We were 1/4" away from having the No-wake removed! It's not as HI as 2001 or whatever year that was when we were fishing on the opener off our porches but its a disaster none the less.

Here's what I know/heard. Got around 8 inches of rain in the last couple of days. Got a call from the old man yesterday morning at 6:30 and he said Big Sandy had risen about 8-10" pretty much over night. Got there around 9:30 to pull out his pontoon (which we had just moved back out on Friday). Got the pontoon out in the rain and lightning, and by 11:30, the lake had gone up about another 3". My wife talked to someone at work today, and they told her, now this is unconfirmed, they had heard Big Sandy is going to go up almost 5 feet, which kind of makes sense because they are predicting the Mississippi will rise 5+ feet in Aitkin by Saturday. Dad said today the lake looks like it has gone up another 6-8"(again, unconfirmed). So we're off again, this time to pull the lift and the dock all the way out so the old man's winch doesn't get fried. Good luck everyone.

OK- Just got back from Sandy and here's what I saw. The lake has gone up about a foot since yesterday at 11:30. The watershed is at capacity and draining into the lake. For those who are wondering, the watershed includes most of the McGregor area and extends east over to Wright and most of the areas north of this line to the lake and a little beyond. There is a whole lotta water in this area heading into the lake with none getting out. If you've got anything you don't want under water better get it out. Was over in Aitkin today fillin' sandbags and one of the reports we heard via the corps is the river could crest in town at 21.5' on Saturday afternoon. Back in 1950, the river went to 22' and pretty much the whole town was flooded. This was pre diversion channel so we're keeping our fingers crossed. But as for Sandy-it's filling up faster than we've seen in the last 30 years. Oh, went by Growlers/Banns and that was repaired. 210 is still closed east of McGregor. Again, good luck everyone.

Wow.

Guess the July 4th plans on Big Sandy will be canceled..... Yowzer.

Isnt water going over the top of the dam? Or is the river backed up to the dam, and all one continuous waterway now??

Rushed up last night to find the dock in pieces and pontoon floating free but luckily up against a dock piece. Keep in mind, i already moved the dock in and raised it twice this year. Crazy. Water is higher then it's been in 30 plus years on our lake. Pulled the dock in completly for now. Saw a sign at farm island store stating that all of Aitkin county is no wake. Odd that I didn't see/hear that anywhere else.

Just heard from my brother the water has risen another 6 inches more since Wednesday. It is back to the top of the dock again and the boats are floating off the lifts. He said the McGregor airport area is covered by water yet looked fine on Wednesday. The dam/dike on Minnewawa broke and Co Rd 6 is flooded and closed again. Highway 65 is still closed at Co Rd 4 so you still have to detour to Aitkin to get up there. I cant even imagine where any more water will go if it rains any more. sick

As of 6:00-Highway 65 north of McGregor is reported to be closed at the Sandy River. This was passed on to me by someone who came into Aitkin. They are still monitoring 169 south of 210/169 junction where the Rice River crosses. Haven't closed it yet. Palisadeonekids report on the other thread pretty much sums up water levels.

SCOTT A. TURNER

SHERIFF OF AITKIN COUNTY

217 Second Street NW, Room 185

Aitkin, MN 56431

218-927-7435 Emergency 911

Sheriff Fax 218-927-7359 / Dispatch Fax 218-927-6887

TOLL FREE 1-888-900-2138

June 22, 2012

Flood Update (2)

This morning at an emergency Aitkin County Board Meeting, the Aitkin County Board declared

a local state of emergency. As most everyone is aware, the area received heavy rainfall – leading

to localized and system flooding. Governor Mark Dayton also issued Emergency Executive

Order 12-09 declaring a state of emergency for parts of Minnesota, including Aitkin County.

To further protect the properties of Aitkin County due to elevated water levels, the Aitkin County

Board has issued a temporary No Wake on all Aitkin County Lakes, except Mille Lacs Lake.

This issue will be readdressed at the June 26, 2012 Aitkin County Board Meeting.

Aitkin County is working to open previously closed roads that resulted from the flash flooding

earlier in the week and at the same time addressing emerging flood-related issues due to rising

waters in the Mississippi and associated waters.

The National Weather Service predictions have been adjusted calling for a crest which will be

lower than originally predicted. The National Weather Service is now predicting a crest of 20

feet to occur on the morning of Monday, June 25, 2012.

Severe flooding continues to be forecast for Big Sandy Lake. According to a press release from

the Army Corps of Engineers earlier today, the lake is presently at an elevation of 1220.5 feet

and rising at a rate of 1 foot per day. The anticipated crest for Big Sandy Lake is between

elevation 1222.5 feet and 1223.5 feet June 30.

The record lake level was an elevation of 1224.82 May 19, 1950.

Aitkin County Emergency Management continues to make sand bags available to residents who

wish to undertake sandbagging operations. We encourage all who think this may be something

they will do to make arrangements to have a contractor bring sand to their location as soon as

possible.

For flood related information and links to additional information go to the Aitkin County website

at: http://www.co.aitkin.mn.us/

full-1384-21688-p6240278.jpg

We were able to get thru on 65 , but had to drive in water. We sand bagged the father-in-laws place and the pic of the boat house is his neighbors. My guess is that Big Sandy lake is up 5 ft. or more.

Gun Lake level? Anyone with an up-to-date report on the level of Gun Lake - besides the water is high(we know that much...).

Thanks!