• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

boat anchors?

mrpike1973

hi i have 2 14 foot aluminum boats what is the best anchor weight to hold these. mushroom, fluke style. and do most of you just use 1 anchor or 2 thanks

Generally speaking for that boat on a LAKE...A mushroom should be fine. I prefer River and Navy styles. You wouldn't need anything heavy...10lbs would be fine-no more then 15 max.

The key to any good anchor stick is to put out AT LEAST twice the depth is not 3 times on windy days.(10 feet deep= 20 feet of anchor rope)

yep my vote is for rubber coated navy anchor. 15 should work, a 20 pound holds my 16' fine. I like the navy because they dig in well, and clean off easy, especially with weeds. Mushroom anchors get very muddy.

We hold well on Lake of the Woods in a 16 1/2 footer with a 10 lb fluke anchor. the advice to let out enough line is key to reduce scope. You will find a 5-10 foot length of chain makes a huge difference.

we carry 2 anchors--one for the bow and one for stern. Rarely use the stern as the boat will straighten out and when jigging the bit of movement helps.

I like this style of anchor if you are trying to hold a boat in place on a windy day. I have a 20 pound rubber coated and if the wind is blowing it will never hold. My 10 pound in this style will work much better.

full-4091-21477-flutedanchor.gif

The best anchor hands down is the "Digger Anchor." They are made in Sauk Centre. We have a 17.5 ft boat and this thing will stick all day in 20+ mph winds on a big lake like Winnibigosh. Plus they are much easier to release from the bottom. This might be too much of an anchor for a 14 ft, but you will only need one of these anchors. www.diggeranchor.com

A couple things that haven't been mentioned yet that I have found to really help.

1. Include an anchor chain. You can buy them pre-made but basically it's about 4' of 1/4" log chain that you attach between the anchor and anchor rope. This chain does a couple things. First, it helps tip the anchor over for better grip. An anchor doesn't hold the boat by virtue of its weight but by digging in to the lake bottom and to do that it needs to tip at an angle that allows it do dig in. This is why the rule of thumb is to let out at least twice as much anchor line as the depth to the bottom. The extra line pulls the anchor over on its side. Second, the chain acts like a spring or shock absorber when waves are lifting your boat up and down preventing this action from lifting your anchor off the bottom every time the boat lifts.

2. Don't attach your anchor line and/or chain using a spring clip similar to the picture I've attached. I didn't believe it myself until it happened to me. These things can somehow come open and you can lose your anchor. I don't know how but they do. I've heard it from others and it actually happened to me. Put the anchor over the side and shortly realized we were drifting and found no anchor at the end of my rope.

full-13877-21478-2751580.jpg

I will second not using this type of device. I also lost a anchor and could not believe the device opened up. :-(

This device is meant for rock climbing. If they open up there, you won't be around to post about it!

This device is meant for rock climbing. If they open up there, you won't be around to post about it!

Actually that device is not meant for rock climbing since it does not have the locking mechanism on it.

Anything like that will be stamped NOT FOR CLIMBING.

Get a Richter anchor, as they say on their web site, 'it will be the last anchor you ever own'. I have a digger anchor, its fine for the local lakes, lighter to use, but on big water and big waves, it wouldn't hold, on big water I use my Richter.

I love my Richter Anchor. I have the big one with a 6' coated chain and it will hold in just about anything. Key is to let out plenty of rope in big winds. The digger is also anive anchor and it will be my next anchor if I ever lose my Richter.

I vote for a richter anchor too. It costs a little more, but its definitely worth it. One of them will hold you regardless of wind, and they're virtually impossible to get stuck under stuff.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.