• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Too Many Big Fish

Red Miller

Hand some guys a gold brick and they will complain about how heavy it is.

I always liked, "people will complain if their ice cream is too cold" but I think this one is my new favorite.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrdHunter01

• Red Miller

• Juan Grande

• DREZLER

I wish we had a lake that good to complain about down here in Iowa. You guys don't realize how good you have it. Hope to make a trip up there to catch those "boring" 25 inchers sometime this month. A 25" walleye is a huge fish here in Iowa.

Well Storm Lake in IA is basically the same thing. Piles of eyes there and easy to catch. Get after em.

As for Mille Lacs. I could care less if I get any eaters when I go there. It is fun to fish, but it being as easy as it is makes it kind of lose its luster to me anyway.

Im not quite getting the connection that seems to have been drawn where people who like to eat what they catch are being labeled as "complainers". I fish for walleyes because I like to eat them. Especially out of Lake Mille Lacs.

I suppose the question could be asked as to why the people who just catch and release are pulling big fish out of 30 feet of water and potentially killing them (hooking mortality) just to feel something yanking on the end of their line? Wouldnt it make more sense (and be less wasteful) to just jack up the back of your car and tie your line to a lug nut and put it in drive?

You guys would be really bored in Canada. Everybody thinks gas prices, border issues, etc. are the reasons for less tourism dollars in Ontario. But in reallity its just that everyone gets bored in canada catching fish.

Good thing mille Lacs is only this good every 10 years or so because no one in MN would fish anymore because it would be too da@%! boring.

How about these complaints:

• I like my job, I just wish they didn’t pay me so much

• I love my wife, I just wish she wasn’t so pretty

• My new car is great and all, but it gets way too many miles per gallon

I’m just ribbing ya. We had a stretch a few years ago where it seemed everything we caught on Leech was in the slot, which can get frustrating when you’re trying to have a fish fry. But of all the things in this world to complain about, people shouldn’t expect much sympathy when they’re complaining about being tired of reeling in big walleyes.

I know the MWC was catch and release. You really think those fish made it in a livewell all day and then up on stage to be weighed and then released? Really?

I watched the weight-in at the NTC which was part of the MWC and I did not see that judge who weighted the fish making sure each fish was alive before posting there weight. Nor did he make sure they swam away... On the website it said there would be a weight reduction for fish that didn't swim away. They posted the weights and determined the tournament winner before those fish were released?

I haven't fished the MWC, maybe someone that has can chime in.

The tourney's that I have fished have multiple staging tanks to hold fish until they are judged. They also have multiple judges. Some that measure for the slot, check for life, and identify the big fish before they are weighed. They are out of the fisherman's hands a few steps before they are weighed. After being weighed they usually go into another tank before heading back into the water.

I know that there is mortalilty. I've witnessed it so no illusions here, but many do survive.

I fish for walleyes because I like to eat them. Especially out of Lake Mille Lacs.

Curious....Are they better out of Mille Lacs???

Actually they are. Many people agree that walleyes taste better from Mille Lacs than other lakes and rivers

I suppose the question could be asked as to why the people who just catch and release are pulling big fish out of 30 feet of water and potentially killing them (hooking mortality) just to feel something yanking on the end of their line? Wouldnt it make more sense (and be less wasteful) to just jack up the back of your car and tie your line to a lug nut and put it in drive?

Valid point!

I would suppose the difference is that one thing is fishing, the other is just being a goofball. I'm good at being a goofball but fishing sounds more enjoyable.

This thread amazes me....What EXACTLY is the perfect number and size of walleyes that you want to catch? If you're complaining about catching too many big ones and not enough small ones, I'm sure you'd also be complaining about catching too few big ones and too many small ones. Or too few of both.

And I know lots of guys who are getting decent numbers of keepers just about every trip out. Is it at least POSSIBLE that part of this problem has to do not with the lake but with where/how you're fishing???

I was wondering what you guys (and gals) think about the idea of a 2-fish limit - any size. I have heard this idea bandied about and personally I like it. What would the effect be? Is the lake out of balance now and would this help or hurt?

My initial thoughts to this, and for the record, they are uneducated thoughts, would be that the total safe harvest limit could/would be reached much quicker with the 2 fish limit of any size due to all angling pressure on the lake.

Again, these are just my thoughts.

Scott

Is it at least POSSIBLE that part of this problem has to do not with the lake but with where/how you're fishing???

I think you may have hit the nail on the head!

Although it seems like the population is a little top heavy. Eaters are more than accessible however. The walleyes in Mille lacs seem to "school" by size. Find big fish well, thats what you will get, find eaters and you can fill your well.

Also, it seems the allure of the mud flats draw people because you can catch a lot of fish, through the years however, I have found eater sized fish like to stay by more in-shore structure.

There will always be a hooking mortality percentage, but if we all as responsible fisherpeople learn how to play and release fish that percentage will go down. I have never been able to understand why a person will kill a 12 year old walleye to get back his 15 cent hook that got swallowed. I have to say that during a tournament, everything that can be done to keep the fish healthy and alive is being done, but at the same time there is a zero percent chance of servival for fish that hit the cleaning table.

As far as agruing about why do people like to go out and catch fish that they know they can't keep, we can turn it around and say wouldn't it be more responsible to just purchase your walleye at the store? Think of the money you would save by not having to tow a boat to the lake, gas in the boat, tackle and so on. Some people like to keep fish, some don't.

DREZLER, Minyakfisher in Coon Rapids new here. You fish north metro.

I was out here couple weekends ago with 4 friends and we caught no keepers at all. But definitely had alot of fun catching lots of them in the 20-25" range. But i do keep what i eat. Not a real trophy fisherman. Cost too much to get mounted and all that anyway lol, Catching the big ones sure is a blast though!!

There is a slot limit and a lb limit on Mille Lacs because people can not control themselves. You always here, well we drove this far we are going to take are fish. If there was no slot limit, can you imagine how many fish over 20 inches would be hauled out of there!! Until we as fisherman can control are selves, there will be slot limits. I wish they had them on more lakes in Minnesota, so we could have Mini Mille lacs all over the state.

Well I knew I was kicking open a hornets nest with this topic but its still fun. Its obvious that different people fish for different reasons but one thing is for sure. Everyone feels pretty strongly about their perspective postions on the the subject as well we should. Thats because we all love the lake.

As far as adding more regulations to more lakes, that may improve the overall fishing but it would more than likely reduce fishing tax...er I mean license revenues for the state and that wouldnt go over well with our spend-happy politicians.

As far as the idea of a two-fish limit...what about 2-fish, one over 20 or one over 18?

As far as the idea of a two-fish limit...what about 2-fish, one over 20 or one over 18?

So if you have a 3 day trip to Mille Lac you would end up taking home 3 fish >18" and 3 >20". I think what they have going right now works! It's not managed for trophy fish it's being managed to maintain the great population of walleye that live in its waters.

Lets hypothetically say Mille Lacs isn't netted that would allow an additional 100k lbs for hook and line harvest. I still wouldn't expect the slot to change drastically. Those size fish need to be protected or the DNR would have to start stocking to compensate for the loss of spawning fish that anglers would inevitably over harvest. Reduce tax? This would be an increased cost to the DNRs stocking program.

If your fishing for table fare their are plenty of other lakes or different species to target.

So if you have a 3 day trip to Mille Lac you would end up taking home 3 fish >18" and 3 >20".

There is only a legal possesion limit of 1 daily limit. That is the law that is in place as we speak. I'm assuming he didn't want to change that. If you bring home 12 keepers on a 3 day trip to Mille Lacs you better hope the DNR don't stop you on the way...

As far as the 2 fish rule, I would still rather have a 55 or 60" per person rule with 1 fish over 18 or something like that...

Lets hypothetically say Mille Lacs isn't netted that would allow an additional 100k lbs for hook and line harvest. I still wouldn't expect the slot to change drastically. Those size fish need to be protected or the DNR would have to start stocking to compensate for the loss of spawning fish that anglers would inevitably over harvest. Reduce tax? This would be an increased cost to the DNRs stocking program.

How do we know that? Its never been tried. And yes, you would get a healthy coupon from the game warden being in possesion of 3 daily limits.

The intent of my statement regarding over-regulation is that it would reduce the fishing "tax" revenue with reduced license sales.

The state possession limit is the state daily limit which is 6 walleye. If you have a lake with a 2 fish limit and fish it for 3 days... 2 x 3 = 6 You are legal, not sure how you came up with 12? Currently If I have a two day trip to Mille Lacs I can still bring 6 fish home I just need to fish two calendar days to be legal.

However you wouldn't be able to keep 3>20" as the state only allows 1>20" in possession.

The state possession limit is the state daily limit which is 6 walleye. If you have a lake with a 2 fish limit and fish it for 3 days... 2 x 3 = 6 You are legal, not sure how you came up with 12? Currently If I have a two day trip to Mille Lacs I can still bring 6 fish home I just need to fish two calendar days to be legal.

However you wouldn't be able to keep 3>20" as the state only allows 1>20" in possession.

False! They possession limit from Mille lacs is 4 fish! Unless you say they were caught in a different lake. If they were caught out of Mille Lacs your possession limit is 4.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/millelacs.html

Also he said a 2 fish limit, with 1 over 20" OR 1 over 18"

And even if that was the case your possesion limit is still the same. Your math is not adding up? Possession limits state-wide and on Mille Lacs are NOT the same.

Quote:
Release immediately all walleye 17" through 28.0"; Possession limit is 4, with only one over 28.0

Daily and possession limits are the same unless otherwise noted

WALLEYE May 12, 2012- 6* (Not more than 1 walleye

and SAUGER Feb. 24, 2013 over 20" in possession)

(either or combined)

*(Minimum size limit 15" for walleye on the inland waters of Pool 3 [dam at Hastings

to railroad tracks on the Minnesota–Wisconsin border]).

I just wanted to quote a little bit from the regulations because it seems I am missing something here.

If you fish Mill lacs for 2 days you can BRING HOME 4 fish per person with one per person being over 28. This would not change if you fished the pond for 1 day or for 5. Again if you are talking about what you will be taking home. If you catch 4 fish in one day and eat those 4 fish at night, you can keep 4 more the next day. But as the rule states Daily and Possession limits are the same.

Quote:
The state possession limit is the state daily limit which is 6 walleye. If you have a lake with a 2 fish limit and fish it for 3 days... 2 x 3 = 6 You are legal, not sure how you came up with 12? Currently If I have a two day trip to Mille Lacs I can still bring 6 fish home I just need to fish two calendar days to be legal

On a lake with a 2 possession limit you can take home 2. If you fish Mille Lacs for 2 days by yourself and got pulled over on the way home with 6 fish, I was always under the impression that you would get a ticket (unless you lied and said you were on a different lake)

My apologies, I read the first section of the regs

Quote:
Daily limit is the number of fish an angler can take in one calendar day.

Eating those fish or gifting them away on the same day does not allow an

angler to possess additional fish taken in the same calendar day.

I emailed the DNR to see if two days would allow you 6 fish out of Mille Lacs. But based on other links and quotes it would only allow you 4.

I will re-post the original content that pertains to the topic at hand...

I think what they have going right now works! It's not managed for trophy fish it's being managed to maintain the great population of walleye that live in its waters.

If your fishing for table fare their are plenty of other lakes or different species to target.

Do the regulations of one lake (Mille Lacs) really affect the revenue from licences sales? How many fisherman quit buying licences because there wasn't walleye fishing on Red for years?

I wish they had them on more lakes in Minnesota, so we could have Mini Mille lacs all over the state.

My statement regarding over-regulation was in reply to this proposal.

Gotcha!

Wait, I think I may know where all the small eyes are... Those hungry walleye eating MUSKIES! JK grin