• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for Public Hunting Land?

emilyblack06

Looking for public lands nowadays is so stressful, and I also read a lot of members in this forum asking/seeking for public lands in their state, well, I might solve your problems. I saw this site where they provide maps for areas available for hunting in each state.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

A great deal for you to know the game lands and public hunting lands existing. Hope it helps!

I checked out the site for a couple of areas I hunt. To start they don't display a good representation of public land in a given area, maybe 10% at beast so they are missing a lot of land. I also noticed many of the public land borders displayed are wildly inaccurate. They seems to "paint" large state forests as 100% public when many times 20 to 50% of that land can be private.

Use at your own risk! Hit your county website and learn how to use their GIS mapping systems. Invaluable hunting info in the right hands!

I would say that any map or GIS (electronic or hard-copy) is use at your own risk. Ever looked at a lake map? Lots of them say right on them "Not for navigation". Guess what I do with them? grin Read the disclaimer information on your county GIS the next time you log in, it's just a different take on "not for navigation".

I work with maps and GIS for a living. People tend to think that, because it's a map or GIS, the information is 100% solid and that's really not the case. Humans have a tendancy to make mistakes, and computers have a tendency to perpetuate them.

Agreed TTT and solid advice. I would venture to say the GIS stuff I have seen has been very reliable, the above link not so much.

Sorry for the disappointment Bear55, Data has been gathered from different states and from different resources. I don't expect a 100% accuracy of the maps and I would not also tell that all information gathered are all wrong, but, the good thing here is that more and more people have use this including me and my family, It has been a great help for us when we hunt in distant places. The site has also a disclaimer, Hope you read it before you say something. Anyways, thanks for the comment. Really appreciate it. smile

Don't worry I read the disclaimer on the site, I only stated the public land property lines listed on the site were not at all accurate on the areas I know well, covering two counties in different parts of the state. I never said the whole site was bad, just my areas. Just trying to warn people and help them find a more accurate source for public land.