• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

42" Walleye from Minnetonka? You be the judge...

fisherman-andy

Without any proof calling it 42" is merely a gesture to catch your attention for this thread. wink

So my bro sent me this pix of some buddies who were fishing earlier in the year on Minnetonka. Was said they caught the fish of a lifetime but out of season. A claimed walleye @ 42". Fish was release and still swimming in Tonka.

I sweared up and down for proof pictures of a ruler measurement of the fish side by side. I was like are you sure he didnt say 32" and laughed the story off. By my own observations id say 30" or possible larger. But how big? I wasnt able to get any more specific details or photos.

The picture has been modified to conceal identity of the angler for precautionary reasons. And yes the way its being held does allow it to appear larger then normal. Of course everyone is going to have their own opinions and call bluff. I'd call bluff myself too lol.

But you be the judge. How big? What girth? (P.S. Leave out incriminating comments please.)

xbmer7.jpg

It is a large fish, the picture seems shady. 32'' seems reasonable, looking at his shoulders and how they are pushed up tells you that he is holding it all the way out (arms extended). Nice fish but 42" prob not, It is awesome that it was caught and released but the fact that he didn't get it next to a ruler and or kept it makes my suspicion level rise.

Kettle

Why were they fishing at night before the opener? If actually fishing for panfish, hell of a fish on what would you could assume an ultralight. Very nice fish, but something else smells fishy!

Ha what were they fishing for at night out of season?

C'mon now. Do we really need this? smile

Early season, what else? Crappies and pannies. Daylight hours are short in early Spring. I've caught some pretty big walleyes before just jigging crappie minnows/fatheads or bobber going after crappies in the Spring.

Why were they fishing at night before the opener? If actually fishing for panfish, hell of a fish on what would you could assume an ultralight. Very nice fish, but something else smells fishy!

Let me rephrase. Not the night before opener. Before OPEN SEASON. Exactly when or details is unknown. I did not receive that info. Less leave the fishy and finger pointing alone please. I made this thread to share a nice catch. Not put someone in jail. FYI I fish pannies on 6lb-8lb test mono or superlines. Enough to bring in a big catch if properly angled in.

April 1 2012

Sunrise: 6:51am

Sunset: 7:38pm

Thats a pretty good amount of daylight, when you post things like this your opening it up to lots of questions. It's not dusk or dawn, its pitch black. I know alot of die hard fishermen, but really midnight for crappies in march or april. Claiming to catch a 42 inch walleye? get a picture on a ruler and show me your 1/16th oz jig and 4 lb test, I might believe everything is on the up and up. whistle

If they were fishing for panfish and everything was A-ok...why would they go to Jail?

April 1 2012

Sunrise: 6:51am

Sunset: 7:38pm

Thats a pretty good amount of daylight, when you post things like this your opening it up to lots of questions. It's not dusk or dawn, its pitch black. I know alot of die hard fishermen, but really midnight for crappies in march or april. Claiming to catch a 42 inch walleye? get a picture on a ruler and show me your 1/16th oz jig and 4 lb test, I might believe everything is on the up and up. whistle

If they were fishing for panfish and everything was A-ok...why would they go to Jail?

No pun intended on what claims or rule do you base your judgement on man? What proof do you have to call someone guilty or actions illegal? I understand people can post their own opinions and im not against that. But stop hating man. Its a fishing story. Not a poaching story. You share a story and it gets blown out of the wrong proportions.

Without proof we know its not 42" fish. That was merely a gesture for the thread.

full-105-21269-walleye.jpg

Ha ha. funny Dtro. Please remind me to use photoshop and extend Dtro's own nose instead the next time he post up lifetime fishing story. But I see the fun in it. No harm done... laugh

Sorry, I thought the post titled asked for us to be the judge. You realize this is like starting a post claiming a 24" crappie right?

and again I apologize...the clown face was MUCH better suited for a fish of a lifetime post.

Well done DTro wink. I will put my guess in at 32in and 12lb. It's a monster but not quite 42in.

Sorry, I thought the post titled asked for us to be the judge. You realize this is like starting a post claiming a 24" crappie right?

Your exactly right, but I didnt ask for incriminating comments. Whats your forum rule in that? You be the judge of the picture. Not the judge of someone's legal action unless otherwise proven guilty by law. Understand?

Of course its OK to poke fun at the thread and call it bluff, that was the whole point. I can see your humor with the pix, nothing wrong with that Dtro.

I catch plenty of big walleyes "out of season" in fact I was put through the ringer several times one year after posting a 10lb eyeball that was caught in April while White Bass fishing.

I'm actually a proponent of opening the season year round for catch and release.

I just don't think walleyes grow to 42" smile

Andy,

Like I said hell of a fish, just to me something smells fishy. yes lots of big fish caught out of season, and released no harm, no foul. If I caught a 42 or even a 34 inch walleye fishing for sunnies at 2 am on Minnetonka weeks before opener, I'm going to have a picture on a ruler and about 4 more of me smiling ear to ear, and hopefully next year you can be judging me on how many pictures I took before releasing my nessy!! crazy

Just remember when you start hiding faces and getting all worked up over us asking questions, your adding fuel to fire. Instead of hiding behind some drawing, get the info and post unaltered picture so we can tell your buddy congrats on a fish of a lifetime!

I catch plenty of big walleyes "out of season" in fact I was put through the ringer several times one year after posting a 10lb eyeball that was caught in April while White Bass fishing.

I'm actually a proponent of opening the season year round for catch and release.

I just don't think walleyes grow to 42" smile

Agreed. 42" Walleye? No way. Impossible? Who knows?

I have been on the Vermillion river fishing for Whities early season and have caught big eyes on Wordens Rooster tails, a white bass favorite. One day the CO was out by checking licenses and didnt say a single word as long as that fish swammed back in the water. wink Sure he could've came by and said its out of season? But why? Who's dumb enough to angle & keep a fish out of season? Certainly not me. But I can attest some others can give you the evil stare.

But im with ya to have the season open year round, C&R during the spawning season. I fish some neighboring states, and their walleye season is open year round. Why not ours?

Andy,

Like I said hell of a fish, just to me something smells fishy. yes lots of big fish caught out of season, and released no harm, no foul. If I caught a 42 or even a 34 inch walleye fishing for sunnies at 2 am on Minnetonka weeks before opener, I'm going to have a picture on a ruler and about 4 more of me smiling ear to ear, and hopefully next year you can be judging me on how many pictures I took before releasing my nessy!! crazy

Just remember when you start hiding faces and getting all worked up over us asking questions, your adding fuel to fire. Instead of hiding behind some drawing, get the info and post unaltered picture so we can tell your buddy congrats on a fish of a lifetime!

You have every right to call bluff on the details. I'd said too. I try not to use pictures without full permission or asking, and if I have too I will conceal it for precautionary reasons in that part that that person may not want their identify revealed yet or safety purpose. The temptation was too much so I posted as is. If it was me in that photo you would see my big smiley face. But I know all too well how some people play the blame and hate game. "EX: You post a pix of a fish held up oddly and your put down for holding it wrong."

But when your out fishing for pannies regardless of time or date of year and im guilty of this everytime I just dont bring weigh scales or tape measures with me. I mean were talking panfish. The only photos that are taken are likely done with a smart phone. But thats just me. So if your one of those guys that bring everything with you regardless of what your angling after +1 for you. Because your the few that can prove it if needed.

#1. That fish doesn't appear to be caught in open water. wheres the netting marks. you know, tail is perfectly in tact. every fin looks healthy too.

#2. Wheres the fish slime and shiny scales of a fresh out of season C.P.R.??

#3. why hold the fish so far away from his body? Appears barely 30" because of the fact of how much content fit into one frame. (a 42" muskie barely fits in a vertical picture when its being held out that far).

#4. where is the Proof that it is actually lake minnetonka shoreline we see off in the distance?

My first instinct says this is a replica of a 28-31" walleye photoshopped into an existing picture. AND anyone that has to hide their true identity should know better. If i caught that huge walleye i would be so proud! knowing how rare it is and all.. I would reveal my identity before i would say a location. Come on man, even if i caught it out of season on crappie line i would be so thrilled it would be in the newspaper with my real face and name. the location however would be very general.

i'd call it a good try at starting a little drama over lake minnetonka. i "sweared" it couldnt be that big either! LOL

My first instinct says this is a replica of a 28-31" walleye photoshopped into an existing picture. AND anyone that has to hide their true identity should know better. If i caught that huge walleye i would be so proud! knowing how rare it is and all.. I would reveal my identity before i would say a location. Come on man, even if i caught it out of season on crappie line i would be so thrilled it would be in the newspaper with my real face and name. the location however would be very general.

i'd call it a good try at starting a little drama over lake minnetonka. i "sweared" it couldnt be that big either! LOL

Whether its a fake or not I do not know. One could conjure up a fake photo anytime. If I do find this to be a fake photo imma gonna kick someones "arse" for sending it to me. LOL.

On the part of concealing the identity please re-read my previous posts. I've already explained & pointed out the reason.

And now you know why we are all skeptic, you posted a b/s story without any research and got mad when we questioned why and when? I bet you learned something today.

And now you know why we are all skeptic, you posted a b/s story without any research and got mad when we questioned why and when? I bet you learned something today.

Tell me what I didnt already know or pointed out? The intend of the post was to get an idea of how big the fish was. We know it aint no 42" walleye to begin with, that was for amusement. Call it an attention grabber at best. However it is still an actual fish said to be from Lake Erie. Again not sure on actual size and weight details but Erie is well known for putting out trophy eyes.

On subject it wasnt the questioning or skeptic of the fish size, I expected criticism & hoax on such a story to be fake, said it myself at the beginning. What did you expect? I may have over reacted on some parts in retaliation but only in what ticks me off. Not trying to blame you specifically. But when someone starts questioning how one's action is intended to be of illegal activity without any proof. The blame game, I start getting a bit defensive.

As I said, i've gotten plenty evil stares catching bass and eyes out of season while angling for crappies. I will throw a small mini rapalas, jig heads tipped with minnows and people will come up and tell me those fish are out of season. I will throw spinners and husky jerks for white bass on rivers in Spring and people will mistake it for other angling opportunities. I understand such actions may seem invalid to others. Just the other week I was catching some nice crappies slabs at a river, had about 6 in the bucket kept for a meal and person comes up to me and says doing good? Make sure you release some back to swim? And I was like? Unless you observe real proof of an illegal activity dont be so quick to blame. That's all im saying...

Here are some photos from an email I received back in 2005. I don't know who this guy is but it was claimed to be caught on Minnetonka the first week of Nov. I do recall that week in '05 and do know that is was a good week weather-wise to be fishing at night. You be the judge...

full-40420-21314-guyfishinginchannel001.

full-40420-21315-guyfishinginchannel002.

Here the body of the email.

Quote:
Last night a guy was fishing in the channel by our house when I got home. He asked me for a favor...He wanted me to take pics of him with his fish. I got in the boat and took some pics for him. 34 inch & a 29 inch Walleye. Kinda cool.

I think this is great. after all, you got exactly what you were looking for here! In all seriousness though, I think your own reaction to everyones opinion was probably the best part of this!

Here are some photos from an email I received back in 2005. I don't know who this guy is but it was claimed to be caught on Minnetonka the first week of Nov. I do recall that week in '05 and do know that is was a good week weather-wise to be fishing at night. You be the judge...

Here the body of the email.

Nice! I have held up 24's and 26's and made them look like that. Pictures are really deceiving.

I can see a 34" fish coming from Tonka, but like every whiner here on FM without a measurement its just a 29"... grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Without any proof calling it 42" is merely a gesture to catch your attention for this thread. wink

xbmer7.jpg

Um, try Googling "Big Zander" whistle

full-27051-21346-images.jpg

full-27051-21348-imagescavjfo1u.jpg

42" walleye? NOT IN THIS STATE OR THIS LIFETIME! I could believe a 32" but this is another bogus fish story, told by an angler that caught a decent fish but over stretched the bounds of decency with the storytelling afterwards. I have the B.S horns waving! It is a very nice fish but when you surpass the state record by say uh...."'s............bunk.

Tunrevir~