• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Line Question

c0untryf1sh3r

I just bought a new rod and reel combo the other day, nothing fancy Martin 8' 5/6wt and reel that came pre-spooled with everything, all I could afford right now. In my haste to tear everything open and get my hands on a fly rod again, I didnt pay attention to the line designations (if it even had any, cant remember) to see if it was WF line or not. My question is, what do you suppose the chances are of it coming pre-spooled with WF line or am I gonna have to break down and get some decent line?

Also any of you guys have any tricks to moving the center of gravity closer to the handle? The CG on mine is about 4 inches in front of the grip and its bugging the carp outta me.

I'm guessing its a weight forward line. That rod I'm guessing is a very soft action rod, some kind of fiberglass/graphite mix or just plain fiberglass. In any case that rod will load easily with just about any line,weight forward, double taper or level. It's slow action easy cast rod. Great to learn on. Bulky and obviously not well balanced. A heavier reel would balance it out. Take the good (price) with the bad (weight, balance). Just my $0.02

its completely possible that its just a level line and has no taper at all. Alot of times with those combos they dont exactly throw in the best line. You should be able to tell though if you strip off about 25 feet or so you should be able to feel the diameter change when it hits the running line. If it feels the same width all the way down the line then it has no taper at all

My first rod was very similar to what you bought.. mine was shakespeare... it'll do the job.. don't get me wrong.. but it's about on the same level as a zebco spincast combo lol.. ya know.. the rod upgrade when you outgrow your snoopy rod and reel

Country,

That rod will do for now but just so you know there are cabelas rods for a little more money not much that you would be better. A friend of mine has one just like the one you have and it cast way different then a little more expensive one.

If that is all you can afford though at least you are trying to get out and shake a stick at some fish. Make sure you post some pics as soon as you catch somthing with the new rod.

Good luck and Happy Fishing!!!!!

Donnie,

I know what you mean, I used to have a nice Cabelas 6wt that I got for christmas a few years ago and loved it, but that one lost a fight with a truck door mad. Sold the reel because I needed some cash quick and now here I am again starting at the bottom of the totem pole so to speak. Its all I could afford right now, its cheap but hey, its a rod and Im happy with it....kinda grin

Get out there and catch some fish smile Your casting will adapt. You'll figure out how to sling a fly out there. It may not be the best, but hey, it gets you fishing!

I'm with OnAFly, you have what you have and it'll work. Once you take a step up, you'll be that much better. As for the line, I would bet it's a cheaper WF.

How much do you think quality goes up in rods as you spend more? I always stick to around the $150-$200 range for fly including a $40 reel or so (typically through Cabellas) and have noticed great balance with a decent stick. I imagine sensitivity, durability, etc get better as price goes up, but is there a significant difference between a $500 rod and a $150 rod? Is the difference mostly sensitivity? I guess I'm trying to put a value on that extra 'tickle' you get from a higher quality rod.

$500 to 700 - Components are much better. Quality is better. You pay a lot more, just cast one. I'll throw my 7,10, and 11 wgt Helios, Helii whatever multiple Helios is against any other rod. It's smooooth and light.

For instance BVKs are light, but the cork is low grade and usually I can inspect a rod and find imperfections. Does it inpact the performance? No.

The best value for the money is TFO handsdown. The best rods, not even close. Throw a Sage XI3 or a Scott S4S in a 9 thru 12, that is sexy and the Sage has backbone,Scott has soft no spook presentation. BVKs can't touch that, there just not that stiff. Cast a 10 wgt in a 30 mph wind all day and you'll know what I'm saying. I'd think long and hard about what and how much you intend to use this rod.

Also, I like made in America. There is no TFO rods made in America, just Korea the last I knew. My $0.02

Mostly how the rod loads and how much you can feel it while it's loading. No one wants to cast a wet noodle, but no one wants to cast a broomstick either.

You can get a good rod and reel for $200 no problem. Throwing good line in there too could be tougher. Sometimes the bay can be a good place to find good line at a great price.