• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Today's Walleyes

Hey guys I'm headed out tonight haven't been out since Memorial Day. With this recent warm spell what depth have you all been finding those elusive marble eyes in?

Figured if we can get this thread up and running, it'd give us all an up-to-date report on what depth may or may not be working for people. No need to mention lakes (unless of course you want to), but just some general info as to water temp and depths.

If this thread works we can always make one for the summer pannies.

Thanks and BOL!

BM

Good idea Buckmaster wink. Been finding them in the 20-25ft range durring the day and shallow durring the evening hours.

With this weeks full moon phase I have been getting some bigger fish around moon rise and a decent bite well into the night.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

It depends on the lake but lately I have been finding a good amount of eyes on the weed edges 8-10 ft look for inside turns and anything (pockets underwater points isolated clumps etc) that breaks up the edge to hold fish. Pitching Small jigs and minnows or gulp has been the best presentation.

Caught a 27" last week on the chain. Pic taken and it's still swimming. We were sitting in 8 ft and casting into a 12 ft hole targeting cats. Funny thing is there were guys trolling around us and not catching any at all. We did manage to get about 10 cats in about an hour and a half. Missed about as many as we landed. Not a bad night overall.

Great report silverbulletguy, That system puts out a nice hog from time to time as the pic in my avitar will attest to wink

Those kitty's sure are fun when you get into them. Did you get em' on a botom rig or with a float?

Found a few walleyes on Sat evening on Birch. Found active fish on the rocks in 12-15ft. Evening/night has been better for me than the mid day hours, trolling rap's has been good for size while silp bobbers and a minnow or leech will get a little better numbers.

Thanks Rick. We had the best luck with a 1 oz disc sinker with 18-24 inches of line below it and just a hook with a chunk of crawler.

Great replies guys! Sorry I have been swamped haven't been able to get on here and read the threads. The night I created this thread found the few eyes that I caught in 17-24 FOW. Was pretty slow, jig and minnow. Hoping to get out again soon.

Have been finding them in a bit deeper water this last week durring the day 20-25ft off the deeper structure. Water temp is starting to get into the mid 70s so we are starting to see some fish suspending over deep water feeding on baitfish ball's. The best way I find to get theese high riding fish is to run crankbait's by them, they are feeding on minnow's so give them what they want. Durring the evening I am finding them on the deep weedline's, either pitching jig's and crawlers or a slip bobber like the Lindy Splash Bright's with small split shot and a plain red hook tiped with a leech has been most effective.

With the water warming and weeds getting thick I am starting to see a lot more baitfish and insect life in the lake's. The bigger fish are starting to faten up on all the food thats now avalible, its like Mother Natures own buffet for the fish. With this incresed activity on the bottom end of the food chain the preditor fish don't have to go far for a meal. What I'm getting at is the bite localy has started to slow, at least for me anyway. The fish we are still getting we are having to put in a little more work for wink.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody got into any walleyes on elk I want to go out but if the fish aren't biting it may not be worth my time.

I haven't heard any good reports from there since mid june. Elk would not be my first choice for late July walleyes. The water gets pretty warm and scummy out there around mid summer. Of the lakes in that area I would think Briggs or even Julia would be a little safer bet.

Being Julia doesn't have any real clasic walleye structure, I have always found a few on the deep weedlines. If you can find pockets or small inside turns in the weedline jigs tiped with a fat head or half a crawler will get you some fish. Otherwise I would just troll no.5 shad raps or Lindy Shadlings on the weed edge.

Over on Briggs there is a bit more structure to choose from. I would focus on the 18-20ft range, but shallower is a option durring low light or windy conditions. Jigs and crawler/minnow around the humps and under water points is efective, as is pulling crainkbaits. With the full moon in the next few days, night fishing can be a good way to put some fish in the boat. The two methods I use most often durring full moon phase are to pull cranks, or to anchor up on a good piece of structure and bobber fish with leeches.

• 2 weeks later...

Rick G you been making it out at all lately, or anyone else for that matter? I went out last week for a bit only 1 walleye to show for it, sure seems like the dog days of summer are here yet for a couple more weeks..

I'm headed out tonight with the fiance not real sure where too yet, would like to stay within about a half hour of the area, thinkin rice, koronis, clearwater or upper spunk. Any suggestions fellas??

Yes, I have been making it out wink If you want numbers of mid Aug. walleyes look to the river. Above Sartell or the Blanchard section will give up some fish if you work for them.

Thanks for the prompt reply, may have to try that out, I think I actually narrowed down my prospective lakes for the night to Clearwater, Sugar or Rice

Yes, I have been making it out wink If you want numbers of mid Aug. walleyes look to the river. Above Sartell or the Blanchard section will give up some fish if you work for them.

BTW is there a place to find maps of the river up that way? I'm a little leery of taking my boat on it blind?

Lakemaster and the MN DNR Lakefinder have maps for above Blanchard, it's called Zebulon Pike Lake. As for above Sartell, from the County park down to the dam most of the nastiest rock piles are marked. There is no map for that section, it's a learn as you go thing wink

Some sections are much better than others, that is especialy true this year. Look for eddys, rock or sand bars and holes in the river channel to hold fish. I have ben doing ok so far this summer pitching jigs and minnows/ crawlers to the structure or working verticaly over the top of the fish depending on what type of structure I'm fishing. Another god way to get em is with crankbaits. Trolling shads or three way rigs with origanal foating raps is a good way to locate active pods of fish when you aren't exactly sure where they are. I will troll till I find them then work on them with the jigs.Most of the time this has been an effective method for river walleyes for me.

Trout26, the catfishing above Blanchard is comparable to the Sartell section, good numbers but average size isn't anything special. Find log jams or fallen trees with some current close by and you should do ok.