• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I looked at the County board minutes and discovered "no wake" is defined as speed no greater than 5 mph. How much can boat wake possible contribute to shoreline erosion? Is the Sherriff also going to ban wind?

It is like the preventing spreading of milfoil. Does the DNR ban the birds from flying from lake to lake? It is a money maker, period!

The no wake ban is Political B.S. Some rich jerks, who don't want their $50,000 groomed shoreline to be damaged, made a fuss to the sheriff. I say tough, if the lakeside homeowners did not modify the shoreline, there would be no need to have a ban. The original rocks or vegetation would be protection enough. Is it not bettor to let nature do its thing?

Is that not why the DNR, in its wisdom, set a slot limit? They said it was to try and return balance to the fishery. I believe the slot really designed to improve the home values (meaning higher tax dollars) in the area?

Look at the fishing tourney and the wake board event. The Big sandy lodges get the shaft, but the county doesn't care because they were not going to make money anyway.

The county is showing me that it does not care about people, only money. Who do they think they are, Congress?

Sounds like time to bust out the canoe/kayak!

Always gotta look at the positive.

I'm unfamiliar with BSL, is the no-wake because (partially at least) of high water?

Big J, there are over 10,000 lakes here in MN, go pick one other than BSL, we don't need such negative people around anyway.

It's not just our shoreline that we want to protect, it's boats that are on lifts, our docks etc. I am pretty sure if you spent plenty of money on something you would want to protect it as well. You make zero sense in my opinion.

The county wants people in the area spending money, yes, too bad for the lodge but that is mother nature, now the horseshoe lake inn gets to benefit. Don't you think people will be staying at the lodge still and spending money on food and drinks there?

I am all for recreation on lake. But you state let mother nature do it's thing and then you are upset for not having a wakeboard contest on the lake. Not sure what you are trying to say here??????

The no wake ban is Political B.S. Some rich jerks, who don't want their $50,000 groomed shoreline to be damaged, made a fuss to the sheriff. I say tough, if the lakeside homeowners did not modify the shoreline, there would be no need to have a ban. The original rocks or vegetation would be protection enough. Is it not bettor to let nature do its thing?

Look at the fishing tourney and the wake board event. The Big sandy lodges get the shaft, but the county doesn't care because they were not going to make money anyway.

The county is showing me that it does not care about people, only money. Who do they think they are, Congress?

How do wake board events and fishing tournaments figure into letting nature do its thing? Last time I checked the outboard motor isn't considered part of nature.

Big_Sandy_Lake, I am also a cabin owner on BSL. I do protect my stuff by moving my lift and dock. I do not go to the sheriff and ask HIM to do something about it. Let me guess you have a pontoon with a small engine on it and you never make a wake anyway. You probably like the ban because people are not racing around the lake having fun. I could be wrong here, but why are you fighting my opinion?

I am getting off point here. Bottom line there is NO reason the no wake rule could be only within 100 yards of shore. There has to be an alternative motive.

That is my point people! We are paying a ton of taxes and the county and DNR are not listening. How many of the cabin and resort owners wanted a slot limit? I have read several posts and DNR reports that BSL has stunted fish. In a recession to first enact a slot and now have a silly ENTIRE lake no wake rule? Is the county trying to destroy the lakes property value? Maybe there are a few wealthy people trying make a ton of money by buying up cheap land and resorts to sell later?

All I am saying is open your eyes! There seems to be more going on here.

Lastly, Big_Sandy_Lake, NO, I do not believe people will keep their reservations at the resorts. If I did not own a cabin, I would not put my boat in a no wake lake. Like you said there are over 10,000 lakes. People are going to take their money and spend it someplace else.

You sure seem angry over a pretty minor issue. Its a temporary restriction that I'm sure everyone will survive just fine. Of course there is an inconvience factor but I don't think anyone will go out of business because of it and I doubt property values are going to plummet because of a temporary restriction based on high water.

Right now you've just laid out a series of unsubstatiated claims regarding motives. Forgive us if we don't take your opinion as fact.

Also I see that you are new here based on your post count. Maybe you are unaware of how the internet works. Once you post a rant like you did you should expect that opinion to be argued against. Thats just the way it works.

Angry I am not, worried is what I am. Time will tell the ultimate truth.

So please Mr. nofisherman, tell me what is the logic of a slot limit AND a ENTIRE lake no wake ban? I know the ban is only temporary. The FACT is the water only has to go down 1.47 feet and the ban is lifted. Why does another 18 inches of water make that big of a difference? Like I said earlier the wind and current is going to do a lot more damage than if the lake was full of boats going full out. I am no engineer but banning wake when boats could easily run several hundred yards from shore makes no sense.

I totally disagree with your statement "I don't think anyone will go out of business". It seems to me you must have money to be so blind to the local economy. I do have to admit I could be wrong, but my guess is there are several business that are very worried. What happens if the ban stays through the 4th? I say speak now! I love the area and I want it to continue to grow.

Am I the only one who thinks this way? Is there no one else who thinks the Slot restrictions and the entire lake wake ban are bad ideas?

I would like to say to Big_sandy_lake, thank you for posting about the flooding. I am positive you helped several people prevent damage to their docks and whatever.

You might dis-agree with me, but I did want you to know I am thankfull for you spreading the word.

I am for the slot limit, as stated before the walleyes in BSL are slow growing and without a slot the fish would never get a chance to mature.

As for the temp no-wake I think that the powers that be, may have come to the conclusion that if they set a distance limit it may be difficult to enforce and don't have the man power to chase people around and argue how close people are to the shoreline.

That foot and a half of water really speeds up the erosion of the shoreline, even the natural shoreline with native plants and rocks. Just because we can't stop the wind doesn't mean adding to the process won't make any difference, it will. The rules are there to protect all of the lake shoreline, public and private and for everyone to follow so we all can enjoy the lake in the future.

I agree that a no wake for the whole lake is a little much. It's forcasted to be a windy week, the wind will do far more damage to the shoreline than a boat on plane. I've seen bigger wakes now that people are going 5 mph instead of on plane. The lake is far too big for a total ban on wakes. As far as enforcement goes, it's just as easy to argue how fast you were going as it is how far away you are from shore. As far as the local buisness's, they will feel the effect. I've had two people cancel coming up for next weekend because of the no wake. Plus, and even more close to home is that my five year old thinks I'm a bad dad because I didn't take him tubeing like I promised.

I think the no wake ban should be lifted soon,so no reason to freak out. Big Jman, I actually have a pontoon with a 150 on it and I have a 20ft sea ray, so yes, this no wake affects my use of the lake but I am not going to cry over it, there must be a reason the ban is on.

Big J, you keep saying it's the people with money on the lake that want this ban....not true. Furthermore, you must have money if you have a cabin on BSL, so not sure who your speaking for.

As far as the slot, I am for that too, helps protect the smaller walleyes, I have seen personally from fishing the lake 25 years that the walleye population has been getting better since the slot and seems that walleyes are getting bigger. What is the reason you would be against the slot, the only reason I have issues with slots is the ones that swallow a hook and you have to realease them. Other then that is called management, just like with hunting.

I agree that a no wake for the whole lake is a little much. It's forcasted to be a windy week, the wind will do far more damage to the shoreline than a boat on plane. I've seen bigger wakes now that people are going 5 mph instead of on plane. The lake is far too big for a total ban on wakes. As far as enforcement goes, it's just as easy to argue how fast you were going as it is how far away you are from shore. As far as the local buisness's, they will feel the effect. I've had two people cancel coming up for next weekend because of the no wake. Plus, and even more close to home is that my five year old thinks I'm a bad dad because I didn't take him tubeing like I promised.

You are one mean dad......

Any time I need a good laugh I go into the McGregor section.

You BSL people are too funny. EVERY week you guys complain about something or someone.

This would be the absolute last place I'd buy a cabin...If I came on the lake with a bright orange boat or had a radio playing would that be okay?

Not sure what your saying here, but oh well. Thumbs up on the slot, I'm thinking we should get one for the crappies.

pulleye16, just how bright of orange? we would have to see it first and have a meeting to discuss that, and as far as the radio, only if it was set to the Dr. Demento show and of course you would need headphones. Also please remember, no smiling on Sundays until 11:00am (sarcasm may be included for your benefit) laugh

The Deal is I hate how landowners really have no say. I started this thread trying to get some people stirred up. Maybe we could have made an impression on the authorities. I guess most people just want to be left alone and feel they cannot induce change so why try.

I am still upset at the "town hall meetings" by the DNR about the slot limit. I went there, I was listened too and I felt I was ignored. I strongly feel the DNR had their mind made up well before those meetings.

I hope you guys are right. I know I cannot afford to lose anymore value on my cabin.

You BSL people are too funny. EVERY week you guys complain about something or someone.

This would be the absolute last place I'd buy a cabin...If I came on the lake with a bright orange boat or had a radio playing would that be okay?

Ya, and it isn't even Guido this time..

And nobody is hammering away on the crappie fishermen.

Makes me almost ashamed I'm from there.

But then, even back then, the lake people were a little different then

the town folks. gringrinblush

The Deal is I hate how landowners really have no say. I started this thread trying to get some people stirred up. Maybe we could have made an impression on the authorities. I guess most people just want to be left alone and feel they cannot induce change so why try.

Quote:

We aim to please!.. grin

So did they move the Wake-board event and how did it go?

I will add BSL is the premier water sports lake in the state in my opinion. You can always find a calm deep shore line for any type of water activity. You literly can have 30 mph winds from any direction but you can always find multiple places to ski, tube, foot with out bothering any fishermen.

I miss those days ... smile

On a side note I haven't seen the Para-Sail crew in action in quite sometime up there ????

Also I wonder what the Big Sandy Lake associations view or influence on the wake restriction was/is?

Wakeboard event was moved to Horseshoe Lake. Big Sandy Lodge was looking full to the brim this weekend! I went over and had a plate full of biscits and gravy saturday morning! Good stuff!