• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

havent seen alot of post on the alex site this year...nobody fishing up there.. has anybody been on reno and had luck...was talking with a group of guys that were staying on mary that treked over to reno and limited out friday afternoon into the night..also anybody know how the tournement went i know the last couple years its been wet and icky..they had some good weather this year...

My Bro in Law and myself fished it on the opener. Many boats and quite a few eyes were caught. We did ok but my Bro in laws neighbor on the lake did very well from what he took out of his boat.

seeing too many 13 and 14 inchers being kept. Kinda sad, could be great potential for future years.

around 50 boats, 8 boats had 6 fish limits, 20.44 lbs won it, and 13.86 for second.

tough to catch the over 15inchers for the tournament

Seen a lot of fish that are not to big being kept, guide boats have been having a hay day catching 13 and 14 inch fish. Seen the same couple of guides on the lake for three days in a row and there keeping them fish unbelievable! Wonder what the lake could be like if they were able to grow up!

The fisherman have thier choice of what size fish they would like to harvest.

I realize we all want some true pigs and the average size to be larger but there is nothing wrong with a meal of walleye.

When I want larger eyes, I go to the lakes that produce those fish.

I have no problem with others taking a meal even if I do not agree with the size they are keeping. We cannot tell others what to keep and release.

i agree, too many little ones being kept. talked with the co last week and he said he checked two guides that both had 2 clients with, they had their limits(24 fish) and not ONE was over 14 inches. I admit a fresh meal of them does taste good but as fast as fish grow in reno, lets throw the little ones back. The lake needs a 15" slot, in my opinion.

I would think that the DNR seeing those limits coming off Reno is a good thing (moving towards a slot limit of 15) They can only watch that for so long before they realize they're just paying for people to have free meals.

With that said, the temptation of keeping a 14 1/2 fish out there is real. Chunky fish and I wouldnt fault guys for keeping a few. 13" is totaly different though

I think it is real funny as the last few years, everybody was complaining that there is too many perch and they can not catch any walleyes, soon as the eyes start biting the same people are rifling them walleyes into there live well. In a couple years we will be hearing the same thing, if they would let them grow up, the fishing would be great. Harvey you are correct anybody can keep what they want and we can't do anything about it.

But the guides I think would have some common sense when it comes to a lake and what I seen last week was very sad. Maybe we quit stocking fish and see where we are at. That may force people to have some restraint. I have no problem if a weekender comes up and wants to catch a meal of fish if they are under 15. But if you see the same boats out there every day keeping them it makes no sense. I also seen boats that were not keeping them, so there are some sportsmen out there that do care about the fishery.

Whats the difference between keeping a limit of 14 inch fish now or 18 inchers later? Releasing those fish isnt going to improve the fishery... obviously the fishing must be pretty good right now, I'd go get mine! The DNR puts, you buy a license and take.

whats the difference between keeping 14"ers and 18" ers? Over a lb diverence. How many of us go out to catch little fish? Not many, if any. Everybody wants to catch bigger fish, who goes out to catch 5-6 inch sunfish to eat? Not saying we have to wait till they are 18" but 15" would sure be nice. I do unerstand keeping a couple 14's to round out a meal, but limits of them is rediculous in my opionion.

Simple solution...give the fish a quick glance and toss the females back. I'd rather keep two 14" males than one 18" female.

Simple solution...give the fish a quick glance and toss the females back. I'd rather keep two 14" males than one 18" female.

+1. Ill keep 14"ers over 18"s any day of the week. What makes me sick is people throwing these 20"+ fish in the livewell. 18" is my personal limit, anything bigger than that goes back. Theres absolutely NO REASON to keep 22-28" fish. Ive done it in my younger years and they taste like mud. The 18+"ers are the future of the fishery. 90% females.

I personally do not keep any fish over 18 inches or it is very rare.

The fish I keep for the table are from 15-17 mainly depending on how thick the fish is. I hate walleye filletes that are too thick. Would I keep a 12-13 inch walleye, only if it was hook bad and was going to end up a floater. But that does not mean I will tell others to keep only the size fish I do.

Why should one person decide what size fish another can take just because he believes this or that.

I would say if one is so passionate about keeping fish say under 15" or putting in place a 15" slot, then they should contact the DNR Fisheries dept and see if they can do that.

Not that this would make a difference,,but it may. Has the local sportsmans club considered putting up a sign at the accesses "Voluntary 15" slot Limit" and then list the reasons why? If nothing else it will make some aware and may make others feel a little bad about going out day after day to keep limits of 14's.

I agree with an earlier post, nothing wrong with a guy taking home some fish that size,, it's the guys that go out every day to do it that's the problem.

Walleye Man,

Noth against you at all but thats how people makes living is putting people on fish. When we guide that is what we are suppose to do. When I have guides work for me nothing under 14 goes in the livewell and we pay close attention to that. Anything over 20 goes back into the lake after a picture. Here is my questions to you and i'm not trying to just pick on you but how much money do you put towards stocking the lakes in the alexandria area each year? Any of my guide trips or guides that work for me will donate $2 to $3 per trip at the end of the year I tally that number up and I put that money into the stocking program. In addition I add some in to help out. It usually tallys around 700 to 1000 dollars?... Plus in addition I purchased 3 or 4 stickers from chuck Bokinske last weekend and the miltona walleye tournament. Myself and my guides realize what the resources are and repect them for that. When people pay me to put them on fish I do it. If you have a problem with it or any of the guides I would confront them and not talk about it on some internet forum. one last thing there are a ton of bigger fish in the lake right now. just gott to be using the right thing. I can tell you we have caught a bunch of bigger fish just going to be doing the right thing to get those bigger fish. One day when I have time I'll post of pictures.

Well stated Drake.

I do no0t believe we have to blame a small group for doing all the damage or any damage for that matter on one group of fisherman.

I am sure there are plenty of people keeping smaller eyes.

The lake I normally fish at home and I fish it quite a little, I saw 2 guys in a boat the other day who were keeping 10-11 inch eyes. I could not believe they were doing this and I am sure they are not the Lone Rangers in regards to what is kept for fish as far as size goes. I am sure they also do not donate to any stocking program.

Well stated Drake and Harvey. We ALL know that this isn't the only lake with this supposed problem, and everyone has their own personal preferences. Mine is if I'm lucky enough to get a couple of walleyes-14 to 17 in. I will only keep a couple for a meal for my family which is 3 fish. All others will be released..no questions asked ( floaters like harvey mentioned will get kept, but I will only leave with 3 fish) Would I or anyone else like to catch a big walleye, or any big fish for that matter? Of course, but I personally feel it should be released,if not for your sake, think of future generations who will grow up to be fishermen/fisherwomen. My son is 5 and I have him already understanding why we let bigger fish go and keep smaller ones too eat, and I for that matter am proud of that fact smile

but what is the purpose of a voluntary minimum?

True sportsmen will understand this wetaline.. It's ok if you are confused by it.. lol

Walleye Man,

Noth against you at all but thats how people makes living is putting people on fish. When we guide that is what we are suppose to do. When I have guides work for me nothing under 14 goes in the livewell and we pay close attention to that. Anything over 20 goes back into the lake after a picture. Here is my questions to you and i'm not trying to just pick on you but how much money do you put towards stocking the lakes in the alexandria area each year? Any of my guide trips or guides that work for me will donate $2 to $3 per trip at the end of the year I tally that number up and I put that money into the stocking program. In addition I add some in to help out. It usually tallys around 700 to 1000 dollars?... Plus in addition I purchased 3 or 4 stickers from chuck Bokinske last weekend and the miltona walleye tournament. Myself and my guides realize what the resources are and repect them for that. When people pay me to put them on fish I do it. If you have a problem with it or any of the guides I would confront them and not talk about it on some internet forum. one last thing there are a ton of bigger fish in the lake right now. just gott to be using the right thing. I can tell you we have caught a bunch of bigger fish just going to be doing the right thing to get those bigger fish. One day when I have time I'll post of pictures.

Amen Drake! Wetaline, you need to relax!

Sniffer

but what is the purpose of a voluntary minimum?

Dude, read my post again,, I explained why. And yes, sportsman will understand what I'm saying. Just because It's not illegal to sleep with yoru boss' wife, does that mean you're going to do it?

Drake,

I thought this is what forums are for is discussing issues on are area lakes. Now I know. I do put money into stocking fish, but i think this is worhtless after watching what gets done. The Reno tournament takes 10 dollars out of every boat that fishes for restocking. There is also a fund raiser this week at County Market for stocking walleyes and I have been to that every year they have had it. If are guides think it is all right to keep 14 inchers then it must be a golden rule. I was disappointed at watching are guides make multiple trips with different clients per day, and hauling out these fish and I stated my opinion. Now I know that I should of not done that as most of the reporets from here come from guides and that helps them advertise. There is over 300 lakes in the area, so I do not believe you should have to fish the same lake over and over. But that is your choice. If we would let fish from 18 to 23 get thrown back we maybe would not have to stock are lakes like we do. But I must be in the minoritity as everybody agrees with you. I also know this is happening on a lot of other lakes and not just Reno. I also fish quite a bit and a fish that is under 15 gets thrown back and one over 18 gets thrown back. I love to eat fish, but there is some days that I can not catch the fish in that size range. SO I do not bring fish home! When I need help catching the bigger fish Drake, I will contact you. How many fish have your guide boats taken out of Reno? I am sure you have the # as you keep a lot of records. Fingerlings are very expensive to stock. So that is great that you are worried about are resource. Locals get bad names if they go and catch there limit day after day. But I guess it alright when you are a guide and you take 18 or more day after day. Now I am done writing and I will stop posting, because this is not what you do on a forum, I guess.

Walleyeman1: I don't know if you live in the area and I certainly don't know where your information is coming from. I can only think of 4-people guiding full time in the Alex area for walleyes. And two who guide full time for musky. So I doubt that Reno is being over run with guide boats.

Because I guided full time for 10-plus years in Alex. I know how often you can book back-to-back half-day trips. It doesn't happen that often. I also know that a high percentage of your clients do not want to keep fish... you see most of my client where corporate based trips. The client is staying at a hotel/motel and had no place to freeze/store any cleaned fish. It was usually the case that the client would rather get out for a half-day trip, rather that choose the golf outing scheduled for the day. I doubt that has changed in the two years since I retired from guiding. So I would really like to know where your information is coming from and who all those guides are.

Walleye man,

You have all the right in the world to post on here and I'm glad you did. I'm just stating my opinion on what I think and feel. I disagree with you on some things and agree with you on many others. Here's my problem with your theory. My slot is one inch different than yours. Mine is 14 to 20 we keep anything else goes back. earlier your stated that you wouldn't mind if people kept 23 inchers or bigger? why Not let all those big fish go instead. Their eggs my not be as good but they are still laying a ton of eggs and a few can help. If you dont think the stocking program is working then dont do it. Its that simple. I urge you to take a look though.... If your catching that many walleyes in Reno dont you think the stocking program is helping? Look at any lake that is kicking out walleyes and it can be directly linked to the stocking that the alexandria Sportsmen do. Now you say whats the difference between me taking fish out day after day and a local there isnt much but I can bet you money that they dont put 700 to 1000 dollars in a year in stocking programs. Trust me I need those fish to be around in the future. If I thought I was hurting the resource I wouldnt be doing it. I do know exactly how many walleyes I have taken out along with my other boats. I will also tell you that I had 3 seperate groups that booked 2 and 3 day trips where we would keep fish the first day and they just go out and catch and release the next day or two. You need to get your facts straight before you jump down my throat about keeping to many fish. What do you think guides are for? They are all around the state and people pay them to put them on fish... Thats what I'm going to do. Once again feel free to post all you want I just want you to know that I have the lakes in mind when I'm fishing out there. I glad that you worry about the resource better that way than not. Good luck fishing.

I think you have done a good job of hopefully bringing some perspective to public perception of guides.

I have fished Reno a few times over the last couple years. Last Fall I was out there probably a half dozen times and every time I went, the same truck and trailer was there. Different days of the week even. I will admit, the first thought that came to mind was a guide pillaging the lake with his clients.

I think that is what most "non-guides" think. The information you shared about how you give back is refreshing, but I would believe that it is probably not the norm among some guides so I aplaud you for it because it appears you truly value the resource that is providing a paycheck for you.

I plan to hit Reno later this week, i will be interested to see if the same truck and trailer is there. :-) Maybe its you?

Anyways, after your words, i dont have the same impression of all guide because obviously there are some that do care.

Here's something to think about. I have fished Mille Lacs a handful of times and I would wish for a 14 incher just to have something that was capable of being kept. It is nearly impossible to find fish our there under 17". The big fish are fun to catch though.

My experience fishing with many guides over the years (including Drake) is that they are very contientious about what is kept. Large fish go back, eaters go in the live well. Most of the heavily fished and guided walleye lakes (like Miltona here and Gull in Brainerd) have stable healthy fish populations.

I would be very concerned if they kept large breeder fish, but that is typically not the case.

I worry much more about the large number of fisherman that have there own interpretation of a limit and stock up fish in there freezers well over the daily/possession limit.

I like seeing guides on my lake -- it just means there are walleyes biting!

"Dude", where did you explain why?

Each lake has its own reason. Why is there a voluntary slot on Minnewaska? There is zero natural reproduction in that lake...

Just curious where you're coming from. Seems to me Reno is doing very well and always has been.

If I'm keeping a limit it's all 14 inchers thank you very much.