• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is a canoe or kayak considered a boat?

Is a canoe or kayak considered a boat? I saw a sign that says "No launching boats" while fishing a secluded lake.

Any regulations on how long the canoe or kayak has to be in ordered to be considered a boat?

This is in Minnesota by the way.

good questions. im curious too. does a motorized canoe need special license or tabs?

I believe that the correct answer is YES. Double check on the MN DNR website.

Yes. They are considered watercraft. You need to license a canoe just like a motorized boat. The difference comes when its time to apply the stickers. A non-motorized canoe only needs the registration sticker. If you are going to be using a motor with it I believe it also has to have the letters and numbers in front of the registration sticker.

• 4 months later...

Is a canoe or kayak considered a boat? I saw a sign that says "No launching boats" while fishing a secluded lake.

i'll assume the sign is more intended for motorized boats as we know it. i'd be very surprised if that also included and/or meant for portable vessels. its worth double checking of course but that would be my assumption...

don't think i've ever heard of a lake you couldn't have a portable water craft that is without a gas motor on it. most i've seen are electric only lakes. but unless that lake would be private or something, seems odd to me...

• 7 months later...

This past summer, fished a small lake that had that same sign. Right when we were about to load up the canoe, the police came and nicely told us we could not launch there. We packed up the canoe and left to another lake.

• 5 years later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

my 12 footer is a boat and needs a license. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

welcome to the site. very strange first postings going to something 6 years old. :)  yakin is fun city. I think its screwy that I need to get a license for my 12 footer. Call it a boat or whatever, doesnt really matter. If you really have seen mine you know that it is a 12 footer. I am just happy its cheap to get the license. 

• Yayyyy 1

hang around. I think a couple guys are planning an ice fishing get together for sometime this month

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok you small watercraft Licensing experts.  How bout my paddle boat?  Tag needed or not-why? 

image.png.dd7478aa70fbf6c9409a7111720706ee.png

10' 1/2" or longer  you need to or end up with Yuge fine. 

No license for paddle boat. Non motor powered that’s why. Under 10ft kayak no license. Over 10ft you’ll need it. My yak is 10ft exactly and it’s slick not having to register it.

Canoes, kayaks, sailboats, sailboards, rowing shells (not rowboats) paddleboards and paddleboats (sailboats over 19 feet same as pleasure craft)
Non-motorized watercraft 10ft or less do not require registration$10.50$5.00+ issuing fee*

canoesandkayaksarentboats what do you think? ?

You know with the internationally established criteria Structure stuff and so forth?  ?

Edited by leech~~